Please recommend a ROM to me

DaveNagy

Aug 5, 2010
Visit site
Hi all,

Do you know what comes before newbies? Me! :p I'm hoping to pick up my Evo on Oct 1st, and only then will I graduate to full newbie status. :) I have been reading the forums, however, so I'm only about 60% clueless at this point.

Bright and early on Oct 2nd, I will be jetting off to Hawaii. Some time in the preceding 13 hours, I'd like to have rooted my phone, and have flashed a custom ROM. You see, I "need" wireless tethering to work during my vacation, and I would welcome more speed and battery life as well. What I don't want are crashes and other things that will harsh my vacation mellow. I test software for a living. I'd prefer not to do it in Hawaii. :cool:

So, which ROM should I take with me? Here's my wish list:
  1. I think I'd prefer to start with a Sense ROM. I'll wait til I get back before messing around with replacement launchers and the like.
  2. It needs to be solid and non-crashy. A daily-driver class ROM. Less crashy than stock 2.2 would be nice.
  3. I'd like the FPS cap to be removed. (Which I guess excludes the AC ROM, unless someone can recommend an alternate kernel to layer on top.)
  4. More battery life would be nice, but not an absolute necessity. I'm taking three batteries and an external charger with me.
  5. More performance would be nice, but again, not an absolute requirement. I won't be benchmarking at the beach.
  6. I don't care if 4G, FM, and HDMI don't work, so if someone wants to talk me into CM, I'll listen.

b0ricua

May 24, 2010
Visit site
BAKED SNACK 1.7!!!

-I think I'd prefer to start with a Sense ROM. I'll wait til I get back before messing around with replacement launchers and the like. Baked Snack has all of the Sense goodness (I can't give it up either)
-It needs to be solid and non-crashy. A daily-driver class ROM. Less crashy than stock 2.2 would be nice.
I haven't received a crash once! Things run very smoothly with the kernel that comes with (Baked Kernel #6)
-I'd like the FPS cap to be removed. (Which I guess excludes the AC ROM, unless someone can recommend an alternate kernel to layer on top.)
FPS cap is removed with baked kernel #6, so you get all the smooth scrolling you can ask for
-More battery life would be nice, but not an absolute necessity. I'm taking three batteries and an external charger with me.
The battery with this ROM combo and kernel are superb, before loading this I couldn't geth through a full day with moderate to heavy usage, now let's say I don't have to worry about that anymore
-More performance would be nice, but again, not an absolute requirement. I won't be benchmarking at the beach.
Quadrant scores and fps2d are very respectable. Quadrant isn't as nice as you'll get with a non-sense ROM, but great nonetheless
I don't care if 4G, FM, and HDMI don't work, so if someone wants to talk me into CM, I'll listen.
All 3 work :p

dante501

Aug 12, 2010
Visit site
keep the stosck and just add the netarchy-toastmod-4.1.9.1 kernel in it and then you have evrything working plus fps removed and overclocking or fresh rom you could try.

Robbie317

Jun 7, 2010
Visit site
BAKED SNACK 1.7!!!

-I think I'd prefer to start with a Sense ROM. I'll wait til I get back before messing around with replacement launchers and the like. Baked Snack has all of the Sense goodness (I can't give it up either)
-It needs to be solid and non-crashy. A daily-driver class ROM. Less crashy than stock 2.2 would be nice.
I haven't received a crash once! Things run very smoothly with the kernel that comes with (Baked Kernel #6)
-I'd like the FPS cap to be removed. (Which I guess excludes the AC ROM, unless someone can recommend an alternate kernel to layer on top.)
FPS cap is removed with baked kernel #6, so you get all the smooth scrolling you can ask for
-More battery life would be nice, but not an absolute necessity. I'm taking three batteries and an external charger with me.
The battery with this ROM combo and kernel are superb, before loading this I couldn't geth through a full day with moderate to heavy usage, now let's say I don't have to worry about that anymore
-More performance would be nice, but again, not an absolute requirement. I won't be benchmarking at the beach.
Quadrant scores and fps2d are very respectable. Quadrant isn't as nice as you'll get with a non-sense ROM, but great nonetheless
I don't care if 4G, FM, and HDMI don't work, so if someone wants to talk me into CM, I'll listen.
All 3 work :p

Second all this above.. I used Baked Snack 1.7 and with Kernal 6 I get amazing battery life and the phone seems to be running way faster and even my 3G and 4G speeds recorded are faster...

blupit30

May 21, 2010
Visit site
i would recommend the finisher3volution rom. i am inlove with this. by far the best i have tried. everything works and battery life is 40hrs+ for me.

DaveNagy

Aug 5, 2010
Visit site
Wow. So many great responses. Thank you.

b0ricua (and Robbie317), you present a compelling case for Baked Snack. (God, that sentence doesn't even sound weird to me any more. I gotta stop reading these forums!) I thought Snack probably should be on my short list, but I actually wasn't sure Sense was still included. The screen shots looked Sense-y to my untrained eye, but I couldn't find any place where someone came right out and confirmed that.

Dante501, your recommendation for a stock ROM coupled with a custom kernel also sounds appealing. Change as little as possible. Learn what stock 2.2 is like, so I have a better basis for comparison when I start sampling more exotic fare. (I do plan to try out several ROMs after I get back.)

Moshpit, I'll be on the Big Island. North of Kona. My wife and I were married there 14 years ago, and we like to get back as often as we can.

caseydietz, lots of people seem to like Vaelpack. The developer seems really... accommodating. It looks like that's a non-Sense ROM, however? I think I'd like to wait on that until I've had a chance to see if I like Sense or not.

I haven't heard of finisher3volution. I'll have to check that out. I assume there's a thread on XDA?

Robbie317

Jun 7, 2010
Visit site
Wow. So many great responses. Thank you.

b0ricua (and Robbie317), you present a compelling case for Baked Snack. (God, that sentence doesn't even sound weird to me any more. I gotta stop reading these forums!) I thought Snack probably should be on my short list, but I actually wasn't sure Sense was still included. The screen shots looked Sense-y to my untrained eye, but I couldn't find any place where someone came right out and confirmed that.

Dante501, your recommendation for a stock ROM coupled with a custom kernel also sounds appealing. Change as little as possible. Learn what stock 2.2 is like, so I have a better basis for comparison when I start sampling more exotic fare. (I do plan to try out several ROMs after I get back.)

Moshpit, I'll be on the Big Island. North of Kona. My wife and I were married there 14 years ago, and we like to get back as often as we can.

caseydietz, lots of people seem to like Vaelpack. The developer seems really... accommodating. It looks like that's a non-Sense ROM, however? I think I'd like to wait on that until I've had a chance to see if I like Sense or not.

I haven't heard of finisher3volution. I'll have to check that out. I assume there's a thread on XDA?

So many things you can do.... I use Baked Snack 1.7 and I also have these theme's applied as well...

REVOlution EVO 1.2r1

Plus this boot animation...

http://i.imgur.com/tT7wT.gif

(not like I reboot very often)

I want to try CM6 but so far I really do like Baked Snack... It's been great and amazingly stable and with the Theme loaded and tweaked it's pretty sweet... I also love how it removes all the Sprint Bloat Ware....

Good Luck..

Last edited:

b0ricua

May 24, 2010
Visit site
Baked Snack 1.7 is 100% Sense.. I of course added the Smooth-Sense theme which just fixes some Sense icons (battery percentage, adds animation to sync icon, etc.) you can check out the link in my signature.

snap20100912_085630.png

Robbie317

Jun 7, 2010
Visit site
Baked Snack 1.7 is 100% Sense.. I of course added the Smooth-Sense theme which just fixes some Sense icons (battery percentage, adds animation to sync icon, etc.) you can check out the link in my signature.

snap20100912_085630.png

I plan on trying smooth sense.. I clicked your link this am but there must be an issue with xda this morning as none of my xda links saved were working this morning. Wanted to check out another theme....

b0ricua

May 24, 2010
Visit site
I plan on trying smooth sense.. I clicked your link this am but there must be an issue with xda this morning as none of my xda links saved were working this morning. Wanted to check out another theme....

Yeah XDA is having some issues..try again later though! I absolutely love smooth sense...

Swyped from my Evo 4G

eagle63

May 7, 2010
Visit site
Thanks to Dave for posting this thread, I'm in the same boat - I want a Sense ROM but with the FPS cap removed. Stability is the biggest factor though, as the stock 2.2 ROM (at least for me) is quite stable.

As for rooting, are you all using the unrevoked thing? Are their better/easier ways than unrevoked?

b0ricua

May 24, 2010
Visit site
Thanks to Dave for posting this thread, I'm in the same boat - I want a Sense ROM but with the FPS cap removed. Stability is the biggest factor though, as the stock 2.2 ROM (at least for me) is quite stable.

As for rooting, are you all using the unrevoked thing? Are their better/easier ways than unrevoked?

I personally did the downgrade to 2.1 and rooted with simpleroot. I also had to update my radio, wimax, and pri but I know I'm fully rooted with nand unlock and don't have to worry about not being able to flash certain rom's

Swyped from my Evo 4G

Slingbox

Apr 13, 2010
Visit site
Im currently running Fresh 3.2 with netarchy 4.1.8-cfs-bfq.
Very smooth ,Stable , Great batt life and Sense.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
wei34