[HOW TO] Build A Theme-By SGBZ

sprintgirl

Apr 25, 2010
forum.ppcgeeks.com
This is a tutorial for how to build an EVO theme! Before you begin you will need the following tools...

-7zip Download

-Android SDK (setup) Android SDK | Android Developers

-Winsign-Go Here!!!

-Photoshop (Gimp is free photo editing software) GIMP - The GNU Image Manipulation Program

All of these tools can be found through google search.

picture.php

take your editable apk's out of the rom by copying and pasting them from the open rom to your folder you are going to use them out of. the example we will use is the phone apk and the phone default icon. this is the picture you see when you call someone without a photo in your contacts.

picture.php

right click the phone apk and select 7zip open archive.

picture.php

copy the res from 7zip to the folder you are working in then open the res folder

picture.php

in this example the editable files are in the drawable hdpi folder.

picture.php

there is our cute little phone default icon, now click and drag the little guy into photoshop.

Last edited by a moderator:

sprintgirl

Apr 25, 2010
forum.ppcgeeks.com
picture.php

if you see a little lock next to the layer, right click and duplicate the layer then delete the locked layer. if the layer says index next to it click image, mode, rgb.

picture.php

erase the original image. anything you make will have to fit in the original canvas size so we will build off of the original file. you will want to see the checkerboard pattern to indicate that your image does not have a background.

picture.php

click and drag the image you want to use onto our original phone_default canvas and resize the image to fit the canvas or simply center the image. to make sure that the proportions are correct during resizing hold the shift key.

Last edited:

sprintgirl

Apr 25, 2010
forum.ppcgeeks.com
picture.php

when you save the file you made make sure your are in the same folder you got it from, save as png, to make sure the file doesn't duplicate click the name of the file up top (saves time) that way you don't accidentally end up with phone_default[1] or phone_default.psd

picture.php

after you click save make sure when this box pops up it says none and click ok

picture.php

make sure your file was overwritten in its original location, then back out until you reach your res folder

picture.php

put the res folder back where you got it from in 7zip, click yes to the box that pops up

picture.php

sign your phone apk

Last edited:

sprintgirl

Apr 25, 2010
forum.ppcgeeks.com
picture.php

create a system folder and move all your edited signed apk's into that folder

picture.php

inside system create a framework folder and an app folder (others may be required depending on the type of file being edited but all apk's will either be app or framework) then move your apk's into the correct folders. phone default will go in app as would clock widget and rosie...others may go in framework (com.htc.resources) depending on where you got it from.

picture.php

then put in your meta file next to your system folder (For your convenience) [URL=http://www.4shared.com/file/mjmF_KAk/META-INF.html]META-INF.zip[/URL]

picture.php

select both folders (make sure before doing this that all of your apk's have been signed) right click, 7zip add to (name).zip

picture.php

sign your zip

then...copy zip to sd card and flash...take screen shots and post to share with the ANDROID CENTRAL Family!

Last edited:

sprintgirl

Apr 25, 2010
forum.ppcgeeks.com
This is meant only to get you started! Explore apk's and folders! Have fun with it! I would tell you all the files that I edit specifically and which apk's they come from but it is my opinion that I would only limit your creativity! Plus...why would I give away my secrets ;) Enjoy guys! I know you have all been waiting for this!

Last edited:

KSmithInNY

#winning
Oct 7, 2009
Visit site
Three things ...

1) Amazing work as always.
2) @Everyone, please make sure you scroll up and click the "thanks" button for Sprintgirl if this helps you. She worked very hard on this and giving someone a thanks every now and then means a lot.
3) Sticky!

Last edited:

l1ttl3z

Apr 12, 2010
Visit site
ok. so im givin this a shot.. does anyone kno how to do the screen capture thing from the celly.. i have an evo with AC ROM if that matters.. thankx

sprintgirl

Apr 25, 2010
forum.ppcgeeks.com
Yep SHOOT ME is great! That's what I use. Just don't forget to exit the program when you are finished. You wouldn't want to accidently capture anything incriminating! :p Then I use photobucket to upload them to the net and just copy and paste the IMG code into the forum post. Can't wait to see some pix!