HELP. What's the simplest, easiest way to root my Evo???

kenlperry

Jul 11, 2010
Visit site
My Evo is running Froyo/2.2 and HTC Sense. I love it the way it is. I just want to install the wireless tethering apk and have it work, and I was told I need to root my phone to make this happen. I went to the UnRevoked site and it looks like UnRevoked3 has been taken offline for the time being. So I'm wondering what I can do to root my phone and still have it look exactly the way it is now, with all my downloaded and installed apps, scenes, etc... If someone can explain to me, and possibly provide detailed instructions(or a link to detailed instructions) I'd greatly appreciate it.

Thanks!

KP

dcfella

Aug 11, 2010
Visit site
I was totally new to rooting/roms. I used unrevoked and it took less than 10 minutes. Super easy. I downloaded the file before they yanked it, but i think it's still available online if you search for it.

mr.wizard

Aug 3, 2010
Visit site
My vote is for simpleroot, but I don't have a link for ya. Sorry. But it has "simple" in the name, and it will unlock nand which is nice to have

trooper54

Apr 19, 2010
Visit site
There is a difference in the easiest way and the right way. I recommend you Use the instructions in the rooting 2.2 sticky, or follow the link in there to the xda forum post. Otherwise use thee over click unrevoked.

Sent from my SPH-D700 using Tapatalk

cheebahawk1

May 28, 2010
Visit site
The new 3.2.1 is available on the IRC channel and it is really easy to root. I was able to root within 10 minutes and also flashed Baked Snack 1.7.

It was a breeze and I love it!

dcfella

Aug 11, 2010
Visit site
@dcfella, Did you use the 3.21 beta file or what?

Yeah, I believe that's the file I used. Took just a couple of minutes to complete the whole process. Super easy.

After that, I just installed ROM manager, Titanium backup, and downloaded a few new ROMs straight to my SD card. ROM manager does the rest to install things.

PM-Performance

Jun 23, 2010
Visit site
If you are in that much of a rush, the IRC link is posted on unRevoked site.
I got mine in a different fashion, but that is the easiest i guess if you do not wish to search XDA's site

port23user

Oct 3, 2010
Visit site
Hey kenlperry, I'm in the same situation. Can you tell us which method you used? Did it remove the apps/widgets/etc you wanted to keep? Thanks!

truslide

Aug 25, 2010
Visit site
Enable USB tethering. Settings>Application Manager>Development>USB Tethering.

unrevoked

Download.

Open.

Done.

This kept my phone exactly the same way I had before. I downloaded Titanium Backup after. Then the BusyBox. Then downloaded Wifi Tether. Now I'm working on learning ROMs.

Good Luck.

bagger

May 7, 2010
Visit site
For my 4th evo, I tried the newest unrevoked and that was the quickest and easiest.... I have done every other method.... ranging from the reverting back to 2.1 and cycling airplane mode. To the O. G. Long way..... as well as simpleroot.

igotsanevo4g

Retired Moderator
Jul 31, 2010
Visit site
If you use unrevoked, don't expect alot of help from the heavy weights around here if you run into problems doing stuff.

Theres a reason why there isn't a unrevoked sticky.

Last edited:

enzofall

Aug 12, 2010
www.youtube.com
Unrevoked is easiest...but many suggest to avoid it...i have not heard problems about it...but nothing can really beat the tried and true..although the tried and true is a little more difficult

kenlperry

Jul 11, 2010
Visit site
Hey kenlperry, I'm in the same situation. Can you tell us which method you used? Did it remove the apps/widgets/etc you wanted to keep? Thanks!

Hi. I used the UnRevoked 3.2 method and it was very easy. If you're interested go to their website and just follow the instructions. Read everything twice(or three times) to lessen the likelihood of you making mistakes. Oh, and I didn't lose anything at all. My phone layout looked exactly the same and functioned the same too, just with added root permissions.

truslide

Aug 25, 2010
Visit site
^same for me. I haven't run into anything. I have SU permissions and I've downloaded apps requiring root, everything is ok so far. I haven't flashed any ROMs, still haven't figured it out but I think i'll wait. I'm concerned with all this downplaying of unrevoked. I don't want to run something that doesn't get much support from the developers...

sasha

Jul 13, 2010
Visit site
^same for me. I haven't run into anything. I have SU permissions and I've downloaded apps requiring root, everything is ok so far. I haven't flashed any ROMs, still haven't figured it out but I think i'll wait. I'm concerned with all this downplaying of unrevoked. I don't want to run something that doesn't get much support from the developers...

There is nothing wrong with unrevoked I think some folks just frown on it cause it's kinda like taking the easy way out instead of reading and learning to do it the regular way. You may have some people unwilling to help you because you used unrevoked but there are many who will, so I wouldn't worry about that to much. That being said since your already rooted might as well download rom manager and get ready to start flashing some awesomeness!

d3xn2o

Apr 20, 2010
Visit site
There is nothing wrong with unrevoked I think some folks just frown on it cause it's kinda like taking the easy way out instead of reading and learning to do it the regular way. You may have some people unwilling to help you because you used unrevoked but there are many who will, so I wouldn't worry about that to much. That being said since your already rooted might as well download rom manager and get ready to start flashing some awesomeness!

Im one of those Douche bags that wont help BTW... :cool:

Unless you ask really nice... I've been known to be a softy :eek:

Members online

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
one01