Unevoked 3.21 rocks!

DaveNagy

Aug 5, 2010
Visit site
Think of this- 9/10 problems people encounter, or things that need to be fixed are had by unrevoked users. And you cannot dispute that.
Of course one can dispute that. In fact, blaming Unrevoked for 90% of the problems encountered on the Evo is ****ing crazy talk, and I think you know it.

Maybe unrevoked has gotten better now, but why not take the solid, tried and true method? Besides unrevoked is 1 click and simple root is 3, I think 2 more clicks are worth it.
Two clicks, huh? I think you know better than that too.

Here's the Unrevoked 3.2 method, starting from 2.2:
  1. Install drivers
  2. Install and run Unrevoked
  3. Walk away with a rooted phone running 2.2 with all the latest radios and PRIs.

Here's the Simple Root method, starting from 2.2:
  1. Install the SDK
  2. Run through a 12 step manual process involving multiple arcane adb commands that leaves your phone running 2.1 with old radios.
  3. Install and run Simple Root
  4. Flash a rooted version of 2.2 onto the phone. (Or any other ROM, but you can't just leave it running 2.1.)
  5. Update your wimax
  6. Update your radio
  7. Update your PRI and profile
  8. Walk away with a rooted phone running 2.2 with all the latest radios and PRIs.

I agree that Unrevoked 3.2 has not fully proved itself yet, but to try to argue that it's not an order of magnitude easier and simpler than other methods is just silly. Again, I do agree that 3.2 is not yet "tried and true". Problems may still crop up.

d3xn2o said:
eventually youre gonna want to delete bloat or change up boot animations and such... Once that time comes up your not going to keep the same love for this program...
Interesting, can you provide links to posts where people are complaining that they cannot "delete bloat", or "change up boot animations and such" after rooting with Unrevoked 3.2? That would be valuable info to know. However, I suspect you are just referring to the old version of Unrevoked, which didn't unlock NAND. (BTW, I wouldn't touch that old version with a 10 foot pole.)

Kevin OQuinn

AC Team Emeritus
May 17, 2010
Visit site
Interesting, can you provide links to posts where people are complaining that they cannot "delete bloat", or "change up boot animations and such" after rooting with Unrevoked 3.2? That would be valuable info to know. However, I suspect you are just referring to the old version of Unrevoked, which didn't unlock NAND. (BTW, I wouldn't touch that old version with a 10 foot pole.)

Some of this stuff requires (or recommends) that you use ADB to push to your phone. Using the roll back simple root method will give you some beginner experience doing this using the SDK.

d3xn2o

Apr 20, 2010
Visit site
Of course one can dispute that. In fact, blaming Unrevoked for 90% of the problems encountered on the Evo is ****ing crazy talk, and I think you know it.

Two clicks, huh? I think you know better than that too.

Here's the Unrevoked 3.2 method, starting from 2.2:
  1. Install drivers
  2. Install and run Unrevoked
  3. Walk away with a rooted phone running 2.2 with all the latest radios and PRIs.

Here's the Simple Root method, starting from 2.2:
  1. Install the SDK
  2. Run through a 12 step manual process involving multiple arcane adb commands that leaves your phone running 2.1 with old radios.
  3. Install and run Simple Root
  4. Flash a rooted version of 2.2 onto the phone. (Or any other ROM, but you can't just leave it running 2.1.)
  5. Update your wimax
  6. Update your radio
  7. Update your PRI and profile
  8. Walk away with a rooted phone running 2.2 with all the latest radios and PRIs.

I agree that Unrevoked 3.2 has not fully proved itself yet, but to try to argue that it's not an order of magnitude easier and simpler than other methods is just silly. Again, I do agree that 3.2 is not yet "tried and true". Problems may still crop up.

So do you have s-off?

Because if you do I feel sorry for your phone in the future... Its a bad move on that teams part to release a feature like this

I wont touch unrevoked at all... simple fact is if you want to dig deeper and change cerain things you need to know how to work ADB Fastboot and such...

Doing **** this way leads to people yelling search and its in the stickies

Reading isn't very difficult... you did it to perform Unrevoked you would of gone the whole nine and root properly

The purists here will agree 1 clicks dont help anyone in the long run...

you all get the itch for me

and you'll all come back asking questions...

My statement wasn't stating you couldnt my statement was meant as you'll be kicking yourself by not learning ADB command for the start...

I spend more time in recovery then actually making phone calls

and at one point I was in the same boat as all of you... I want root I want to use this and that

then it turns into i want to flash this or that

deeper and deeper until you end up like the OG's Making and flashing your own krap because nothing out there is good enough...

I will always stress the fact do it right the first time and follow the Purist way to root... You'll learn alot more about your phone when your willing to admit and you dont need to start topics on things that have been covered...

Now excuse me while i sign this stupid Rom and flash so i can have another week of entertainment before i need to flash something else...

scorpiodsu

Jul 12, 2010
Visit site
Who cares? As long as the user is satisfied with that they have done, that's all that matters. It is their phone and to make a big deal because someone doesn't want to root it the same way another does is quite silly. This is the problem with Android users..... too much pissing on each other about who's device is better and who's is faster and blah blah blah. To each it's own.

deparson

Mar 19, 2010
Visit site
Guys, I don't know who has a better root but I do know that 3.21 rooted my stock Evo 2.2 fast and easy and I can run those root apps that I want to run.

Works for me!

igotsanevo4g

Retired Moderator
Jul 31, 2010
Visit site
I'm done trying to help people do it the right way.

Just don't expect a whole heck of allot of help when this breaks, you what to do that, or stuff doesn't work.

As far as I'm concerned you have been warned and I know it may seen harsh or I'm on a "high horse" but cmon, theres a reason we are saying this stuff.

I support the method in LJ's great guide that has been stickied, also for a reason.
Done.

enzofall

Aug 12, 2010
www.youtube.com
Does the new Unrevoked proccess just entail that I download the drivers...run the program and that's it? I have full access to run root apps, do a nandroid backup and flash a custom Rom or kernel?

Sent from my PC36100

charlie hustle

Jul 27, 2010
Visit site
my question is where do i install the drivers??? I have unrevoked and i have my evo. But the problem is it (windows OS) is looking for adb drivers. Where do i get these from???

limitproof

Jun 1, 2010
Visit site
Still, it is lame to just judge people just because you like to dig in and figure things out. Not everyone enjoys that. Comments like "ew" really don't add much to the discussion and make the poster look like a......

dont waste your time Brooose, igotsanevo is lame in every thread. that's his/her M.O., just to snicker and b#tch.

anyways, i went to Simple Root rout but i guess this new Unrevoked is on par with that now, would try it if i had another phone to root. I hope more people root and spur the ROM developers to come out with great stuff!

Kevin OQuinn

AC Team Emeritus
May 17, 2010
Visit site
Does the new Unrevoked proccess just entail that I download the drivers...run the program and that's it? I have full access to run root apps, do a nandroid backup and flash a custom Rom or kernel?

Sent from my PC36100

my question is where do i install the drivers??? I have unrevoked and i have my evo. But the problem is it (windows OS) is looking for adb drivers. Where do i get these from???

I think on the Unrevoked info page...

Sent from my PC36100

This is why unrevoked doesn't have a sticky here. Read the sticky about rooting on windows and follow those directions. Or maybe look on the unrevoked page. I'm not faulting anyone for the way they want to root, but it has been stated that 90% of the questions about rooting are because of unrevoked. I think this makes the case very well. If you have anymore doubts about the number of questions unrevoked brings up do a search (or just look at the first few pages of posts and see how many threads are about unrevoked).

Again, you can choose to root anyway you want, but the point everyone is trying to make is that taking the easy way isn't always the best way. Sometimes the more time consuming way or the slightly more difficult way is worth it because of the knowledge you gain.

d3xn2o

Apr 20, 2010
Visit site
This is why unrevoked doesn't have a sticky here. Read the sticky about rooting on windows and follow those directions. Or maybe look on the unrevoked page. I'm not faulting anyone for the way they want to root, but it has been stated that 90% of the questions about rooting are because of unrevoked. I think this makes the case very well. If you have anymore doubts about the number of questions unrevoked brings up do a search (or just look at the first few pages of posts and see how many threads are about unrevoked).

Again, you can choose to root anyway you want, but the point everyone is trying to make is that taking the easy way isn't always the best way. Sometimes the more time consuming way or the slightly more difficult way is worth it because of the knowledge you gain.

My new thing...

Oh look New PM lets see...

Hey dude I need help Flashing this Rom you've been talking about any advise?!?!

Ummm Which Root Method did you use?

UnrEVOked...

Sorry dude cant help you... ReRoot using LJ's Method then come back...

Hey I think im allowed to be a douche considering all the trouble I went thru...

ah the good ol days...

Kevin OQuinn

AC Team Emeritus
May 17, 2010
Visit site
My new thing...

Oh look New PM lets see...

Hey dude I need help Flashing this Rom you've been talking about any advise?!?!

Ummm Which Root Method did you use?

UnrEVOked...

Sorry dude cant help you... ReRoot using LJ's Method then come back...

Hey I think im allowed to be a douche considering all the trouble I went thru...

ah the good ol days...

LOL at least my problems aren't due to my rooting method. And yeah I went through hell too getting my phone rooted the right way. I learned the hard way about unrevoked. That's why I don't recommend it. I had to ask so many n00b questions it wasn't funny. Then I realized if I woulda done it the right way the first time I woulda been able to answer a lot of my own questions.

d3xn2o

Apr 20, 2010
Visit site
LOL at least my problems aren't due to my rooting method. And yeah I went through hell too getting my phone rooted the right way. I learned the hard way about unrevoked. That's why I don't recommend it. I had to ask so many n00b questions it wasn't funny. Then I realized if I woulda done it the right way the first time I woulda been able to answer a lot of my own questions.

I didnt mean you haha...

You learned and all is well

But you know where im coming from now...

Kevin OQuinn

AC Team Emeritus
May 17, 2010
Visit site
I didnt mean you haha...

You learned and all is well

But you know where im coming from now...

Oh for sure. I get those PM's too, but about other things that are clearly stated in other posts or elsewhere on the forums. Most of the time I don't mind, but when it's on the first or second page of posts it's kinda annoying.

charlie hustle

Jul 27, 2010
Visit site
Everything worked well with unrevoked last night. The problem was that they didnt list that you need to install the drivers from htcsync and also the android 1.0 drivers for when your in the recovery screen. After i found that and installed those necessary drivers, everything went smooth.

franky_402

Jun 1, 2010
Visit site
the reason i waited for unrevoked was i didnt want to have to deal with reflashing my phone i just simply wanted root access for free wifi hotspot. i had a pre at launch so i know linux pretty well, hell webos didnt have preware till like october i think so every patch till then was all commands. those were the good ol days lol

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
wei34