Unrevoked 3.21?

enzofall

Aug 12, 2010
www.youtube.com
So Unrevoked 3.21 is up...is this an easy proccess...I'm completely new to rooting..should this be my choice for rooting?

Sent from my PC36100

TWC_SouthPhilly

Jun 6, 2010
Visit site
I did the unrevoked method the other night and it really is one click(well 2 or 3 if you count downloading and installing the hboot drivers).

The new unrevoked dose it all.

stephen866

Apr 12, 2010
Visit site
I would like to re root for the latest version. Is this possible ? I rooted with unrevoked after it was pulled from a link in a forum. I am having trouble with wireless tethering.
Is there a way I can tell which version of unrevoked I used to root originally ?

kd0axs

Mar 13, 2010
Visit site
I would like to re root for the latest version. Is this possible ? I rooted with unrevoked after it was pulled from a link in a forum. I am having trouble with wireless tethering.
Is there a way I can tell which version of unrevoked I used to root originally ?

You don't need to re-root, you just need a different version of the wireless tether app. The current version in the market doesn't work with Froyo. I'm not sure where to get the apk, but it's in the AC-ROM and a few other ROMs

caramelcarebr

Jun 16, 2010
Visit site
I think I will finally root, since this is out and I'm on 2.2. One question, though, will rooting with this completely erase all settings/data/etc on my phone?

imtravis

Jan 1, 2010
Visit site

I had the same issue, so I went through the forums, and found the version that worked.. unfortunately I forgot where it is, but the link took me to a google code site, and I downloaded their latest one. Works like a charm now..

As already stated the Market WIreless tether app doesn't work on 2.2...

Mustachio

Jun 3, 2010
Visit site
I was impatient and couldn't wait for 3.2.1, so I rooted with 3.2 (got it before they took it offline). It worked fine for me and I couldn't be happier.

Pure87

Jul 21, 2010
Visit site
Most people here recommend simple root. I don't know much about the new unrevoked.

Does simple root work with linux? I've been trying to find a relatively easy root method that will work with linut mint (based on ubuntu) and the only advice I've found is to go with unrEVOked.

caramelcarebr

Jun 16, 2010
Visit site
I think I will finally root, since this is out and I'm on 2.2. One question, though, will rooting with this completely erase all settings/data/etc on my phone?

I'm sorry if this is a noob question, but someone please let me know. I'd like to know if I should do a new backup before proceeding with this.

DaveNagy

Aug 5, 2010
Visit site
I'm sorry if this is a noob question, but someone please let me know. I'd like to know if I should do a new backup before proceeding with this.
It's never a bad idea to make backups, but just rooting a phone (and installing a new recovery image) shouldn't mess with the current contents of your phone too much. (It's not like installing a new ROM, which completely nukes what was previously on your phone.)

Returning to the question asked in the OP, the big difference between Unrevoked 3.2 and the other rooting methods is that it works on a phone that's already running Froyo. A brand new Evo, in other words. Before you can run something like Simple Root, you have to do some extra shenanigans to "downgrade" your phone to 2.1. And then after you're done using Simple Root, you need to go back and upgrade your ROM, radios, and PRIs and such. None of that is necessary when using Unrevoked 3.2.

So, if it works, it should be quite the time-saver. Especially for people that weren't intending to flash a ROM.

Last edited:

enzofall

Aug 12, 2010
www.youtube.com
Hey everyone great advice. But I was wondering if I do this Unrevoked...it entails me installing drivers for windows..running program and I'm just done?...I have access to run root apps and flash roms and do a nandroid backup?

Sent from my PC36100

Paladin

Apr 26, 2010
Visit site
Simple question but it is not clear in any of the directions. Do I run the "reflash_package.exe" while the phone is in HBOOT USB PLUG mode? Or does it need to be turned on as normal? I assume the former, makes sense, but want to make sure first!

Last edited:

VDub2174

Moderator Captain
Trusted Member
Dec 28, 2009
Visit site
The last time I used unrevoked I was able to find a YouTube video that showed me how to do everything. I would suggest looking for a similar video. I would do it now but I can't get YouTube at work :(

deparson

Mar 19, 2010
Visit site
DL the .exe and run it. When it asks for your phone just plug it in (powered up to the normal 'home' state/not in hboot) and it will tell you exactly what to do from there.

Simple question but it is not clear in any of the directions. Do I run the "reflash_package.exe" while the phone is in HBOOT USB PLUG mode? Or does it need to be turned on as normal? I assume the former, makes sense, but want to make sure first!

deparson

Mar 19, 2010
Visit site
Best bet is to just grab a friends Windows box and do it from there. It only takes 5 min tops.

Does simple root work with linux? I've been trying to find a relatively easy root method that will work with linut mint (based on ubuntu) and the only advice I've found is to go with unrEVOked.

Paladin

Apr 26, 2010
Visit site
DL the .exe and run it. When it asks for your phone just plug it in (powered up to the normal 'home' state/not in hboot) and it will tell you exactly what to do from there.

Thanks man. One thing I am finding out is that directions are very limited and incomplete for a lot of Android things.

e.g. nowhere does it say how to get out of the procedure after adding the hboot driver:
public:windows_hboot_driver_install [RootWiki]

It was scary as I am not used to the low level stuff on Android. What do I select to get out of this back to a normal phone again? One wrong selection and you can reset the phone maybe... I finally figured it out.
use the VOL + to go up the menu to FASTBOOT and select it using the power button. Then it is in another menu with BOOTLOADER highlighted, select the POWER OFF option by using the VOL - button and select it with the power button. Then just turn the phone back on.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
fancyfranci