Help! Evo stuck in loop

kkeev

Mar 3, 2014
Visit site
My phone was what they called flashed over a year ago so I could use Page Plus. Last night the phone turned itself off and then tried to turn on again. It keeps looping. It gets as far as the 4G picture and then starts over.

I read threads on the forum and pushed the volume down and power button to get into the directory. The screen read:

***Locked (OOW)***
SUPERSONIC EVT2-3 SHIP 2-ON
HBOOT-2.18.0001
MICROP-041F
TOUCH PANEL-ATMELC03_116ac
RADIO-2.15.00.12019
Dec 21 2011, 12:50:32
HBOOT (highlighted in blue)

volume up volume down directions

FASTBOOT
RECOVERY
CLEAR STORAGE
SIMLOCK
HBOOT USB

When I press recovery it says, E:Can't open/cache/recovery/command, E:Can't mount/data/data/recovery/log, E:Can't open/data/data/recovery/log.
My choices on top are
REBOOT SYSTEM NOW
APPLY UPDATE FROM SDCARD
WIPE DATA/FACTORY RESET
WIPE CACHE PARITITION

When I press reboot it flashes a quick reboot successful or something like that and then the E:Can't messages again and just keeps looping and never turns all the way on. They want another $70 to re-flash and don't guarantee that it will work.

I don't understand this. I didn't do anything to the phone, I didn't accept updates and no one else was around my phone to have made any changes to it. It just did it by itself. Can I factory restore and then root it. Does anyone have any suggestions. I am not techie and don't really use the phone for anything beside the calendar and phone. I know the phone is old but I really like this phone it has big numbers and is easy to read. I would like to keep using it.

Since I am not very savvy I would need step by step directions but I am not sure what posts to look for because it has already been flashed/rooted.

I would like to be in control of my own phone and I don't want back doors in my phone for anyone else to access. So it is time to start learning but I hate to sacrifice my phone in the learning curve.

Does anyone have any suggestions?

UJ95x

Retired Ambassador
Aug 26, 2013
Visit site
My phone was what they called flashed over a year ago so I could use Page Plus. Last night the phone turned itself off and then tried to turn on again. It keeps looping. It gets as far as the 4G picture and then starts over.

I read threads on the forum and pushed the volume down and power button to get into the directory. The screen read:

***Locked (OOW)***
SUPERSONIC EVT2-3 SHIP 2-ON
HBOOT-2.18.0001
MICROP-041F
TOUCH PANEL-ATMELC03_116ac
RADIO-2.15.00.12019
Dec 21 2011, 12:50:32
HBOOT (highlighted in blue)

volume up volume down directions

FASTBOOT
RECOVERY
CLEAR STORAGE
SIMLOCK
HBOOT USB

When I press recovery it says, E:Can't open/cache/recovery/command, E:Can't mount/data/data/recovery/log, E:Can't open/data/data/recovery/log.
My choices on top are
REBOOT SYSTEM NOW
APPLY UPDATE FROM SDCARD
WIPE DATA/FACTORY RESET
WIPE CACHE PARITITION

When I press reboot it flashes a quick reboot successful or something like that and then the E:Can't messages again and just keeps looping and never turns all the way on. They want another $70 to re-flash and don't guarantee that it will work.

I don't understand this. I didn't do anything to the phone, I didn't accept updates and no one else was around my phone to have made any changes to it. It just did it by itself. Can I factory restore and then root it. Does anyone have any suggestions. I am not techie and don't really use the phone for anything beside the calendar and phone. I know the phone is old but I really like this phone it has big numbers and is easy to read. I would like to keep using it.

Since I am not very savvy I would need step by step directions but I am not sure what posts to look for because it has already been flashed/rooted.

I would like to be in control of my own phone and I don't want back doors in my phone for anyone else to access. So it is time to start learning but I hate to sacrifice my phone in the learning curve.

Does anyone have any suggestions?

Welcome to Android Central :)
First thing I would try is to wipe the cache partition. Follow the same steps mentioned above to get to that step, and see if it helps the phone boot.

Sent from my Galaxy S4 running SlimKat 4.4.2

kkeev

Mar 3, 2014
Visit site
No it didn't help. Never gets to the HTC logo. The music plays then it says 4G then it starts up with music again gets to the 4G and starts over, doesn't turn all the way on.

In the forum the first line it shows in the picture of the screen it says "unlocked," mine says "locked." Shouldn't it say unlocked?

Welcome to Android Central :)
First thing I would try is to wipe the cache partition. Follow the same steps mentioned above to get to that step, and see if it helps the phone boot.

UJ95x

Retired Ambassador
Aug 26, 2013
Visit site
No it didn't help. Never gets to the HTC logo. The music plays then it says 4G then it starts up with music again gets to the 4G and starts over, doesn't turn all the way on.

In the forum the first line it shows in the picture of the screen it says "unlocked," mine says "locked." Shouldn't it say unlocked?

The bootloader can be locked after flashing something to the phone.
Let me see if I can get someone more familiar with HTC devices to help :)

wizzrah

Retired Ambassador
Jul 27, 2013
Visit site
Yooo. By your phone saying locked, it means that your bootloader is locked (just for clarification). May I ask what exactly you flashed. An RUU? Or was it something you flashed so you could use the device another carrier?

Last edited:

kkeev

Mar 3, 2014
Visit site
I took it into the wireless store in my area and they did something to it do make it work on Page Plus. It is a 4G phone and there service is 3G, either they changed my phone to work on 3G or said some of the stuff won't work like sending pics, which I don't care about and I thought they unlocked it (which they called flashing) so it could be used with Page Plus. I don't know if it was an RUU and I don't think they know either because the person who did it doesn't work there anymore. If I unlock the bootloader do you think the recovery function will work?
Yooo. By your phone saying locked, it means that your bootloader is locked (just for clarification). May I ask what exactly you flashed. An RUU? Or was it something you could use on another carrier.

wizzrah

Retired Ambassador
Jul 27, 2013
Visit site
I took it into the wireless store in my area and they did something to it do make it work on Page Plus. It is a 4G phone and there service is 3G, either they changed my phone to work on 3G or said some of the stuff won't work like sending pics, which I don't care about and I thought they unlocked it (which they called flashing) so it could be used with Page Plus. I don't know if it was an RUU and I don't think they know either because the person who did it doesn't work there anymore. If I unlock the bootloader do you think the recovery function will work?

No, you will have to flash a custom recovery. Do you have access to fastboot?

kkeev

Mar 3, 2014
Visit site
I have found a thread with directions but since I don't really know what I am doing I didn't want to follow it until I had help or a better understanding of what I am doing.
I tried to post a link to the thread but it doesn't show up correctly. Sorry the thread isn't showing up.
When you say do I have access, do you mean access to a file or access through my phone? I have tried the fastboot but it doesn't fix the problem.

kkeev

Mar 3, 2014
Visit site
I have found a thread with directions but since I don't really know what I am doing I didn't want to follow it until I had help or a better understanding of what I am doing.
I tried to post a link to the thread but it doesn't show up correctly. Sorry the thread isn't showing up.
When you say do I have access, do you mean access to a file or access through my phone? I have tried the fastboot but it doesn't fix the problem.
When you say flash a custom recovery you are referring to fixing the software with a file while connected through the usb on my computer. Is that correct? This is the thread I found with directions and files. Do you think this will work for the problem I am having.
This is the thread I found:
I keep telling people the easiest way to flash a recovery on an EVO, but no one listens...it doesn't matter the HBOOT as far as I'm concerned. Here are the easy steps:

(If you or anyone has already unlocked the bootloader, just skip this part.)

-Unlock the bootloader at HTCdev - Unlock Bootloader (Just follow the instructions, also select "All Other Supported Models", gotta also be registered.)

Here's a link from yours truly from my Dropbox the 3 files you'll need. Just put these in a folder on your desktop so you can easily do the commands:

http://db.tt/2Zg3UeCw

(UNLOCKING BOOTLOADER WILL WIPE DATA/FACTORY RESET, just a heads up.)

After you have unlocked the bootloader, just boot into fastboot and open the folders with the 3 files I have provided and hold down Shift and then Right Click inside the window and select "Open Command Prompt Here".

Once the window is open, flash the recovery that I will be providing, I use this one, pretty reliable, so yeah, I didn't make it, but I'm sharing it.

http://db.tt/ZO0BVvBi

After you have this file, you need to place it in the same folder as the ADB files, and you cold rename it to "recovery.img" if you wish or leave it unaltered. Then, just type the commands that I say:

Fastboot flash recovery "recovery-RA-supersonic-v2.3.img"

Or, if you renamed it to "recovery.img"...

fastboot flash recovery "recovery.img"

and within a few seconds, you'll have a recovery!

Also, you must have HTC Drivers installed before you do any of this, here they are from my Dropbox:

http://db.tt/Pi0WLxUf

And, after you've successfully flashed this recovery, you can root your phone from the recovery by flashing this SuperUser zip file, just place this zip on the base of your SD card:

http://db.tt/n4tr8lwi

And viola! This should take no longer than 15 minutes. Hope I helped you! Feel free to thank me if I did.

Edit: Redid links, download away!

wizzrah

Retired Ambassador
Jul 27, 2013
Visit site
When you say flash a custom recovery you are referring to fixing the software with a file while connected through the usb on my computer. Is that correct? This is the thread I found with directions and files. Do you think this will work for the problem I am having.
This is the thread I found:
I keep telling people the easiest way to flash a recovery on an EVO, but no one listens...it doesn't matter the HBOOT as far as I'm concerned. Here are the easy steps:

(If you or anyone has already unlocked the bootloader, just skip this part.)

-Unlock the bootloader at HTCdev - Unlock Bootloader (Just follow the instructions, also select "All Other Supported Models", gotta also be registered.)

Here's a link from yours truly from my Dropbox the 3 files you'll need. Just put these in a folder on your desktop so you can easily do the commands:

http://db.tt/2Zg3UeCw

(UNLOCKING BOOTLOADER WILL WIPE DATA/FACTORY RESET, just a heads up.)

After you have unlocked the bootloader, just boot into fastboot and open the folders with the 3 files I have provided and hold down Shift and then Right Click inside the window and select "Open Command Prompt Here".

Once the window is open, flash the recovery that I will be providing, I use this one, pretty reliable, so yeah, I didn't make it, but I'm sharing it.

http://db.tt/ZO0BVvBi

After you have this file, you need to place it in the same folder as the ADB files, and you cold rename it to "recovery.img" if you wish or leave it unaltered. Then, just type the commands that I say:

Fastboot flash recovery "recovery-RA-supersonic-v2.3.img"

Or, if you renamed it to "recovery.img"...

fastboot flash recovery "recovery.img"

and within a few seconds, you'll have a recovery!

Also, you must have HTC Drivers installed before you do any of this, here they are from my Dropbox:

http://db.tt/Pi0WLxUf

And, after you've successfully flashed this recovery, you can root your phone from the recovery by flashing this SuperUser zip file, just place this zip on the base of your SD card:

http://db.tt/n4tr8lwi

And viola! This should take no longer than 15 minutes. Hope I helped you! Feel free to thank me if I did.

Edit: Redid links, download away!

Yes, it's somewhat like that. Would you like me to just outline what is necessary and what isn't?

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chuckm