Im rooted, want some opinions

jonaddis84

Oct 6, 2010
Visit site
Hello everybody, first post here, just moved over from PreCentral. This hacking on the android is a bit more involved than it was on the Pre, but Im trying to learn.

I just rooted using unrevoked 3.2.1, which was very easy.

Also installed rom manager and flashed that version of clockwork, and made a backup so I am ready to start hacking.

Now my question is this, how do I hack!?

I really just want to start by removing bloatware for one, but the biggest thing I want to do is apply the mms compression fix found here , all I can seem to find for instructions on how to do the latter is "just flash it to your recovery!"

Well that doesnt mean much to me at this point, so some elaboration would be appreciated.

Thanks for any help!

And if there is a rom I can just install that includes the two things above plus wifi tethering Id be game for that also.

Jon

PM-Performance

Jun 23, 2010
Visit site
Whatever files you are trying to flash, you need to DL to your SD card and boot into recovery to flash it.

Most roms already include wifi tether and removing bloatware.
The compression thing just looks like an extra add on you install through recovery in the same method.

sasha

Jul 13, 2010
Visit site
If you download a rom from rom manager most of them remove bloatware plus gives you added bonuses. Read up on the roms and find one that suits your needs, as far as the mms fix if you download and use handcent from the market it fixes the compression issue. If you like sense you may want to check out the Baked Snack rom or Myn.

Reactions: johnshaft

igotsanevo4g

Retired Moderator
Jul 31, 2010
Visit site
Flash = install

Root of sd card = just on it and not in any files.

Rom = your operating system / UI

So its not really, hacking, its having compete control of your phone and operating stuffs.

Reactions: johnshaft

jonaddis84

Oct 6, 2010
Visit site
Does anyone have experience with the mms compression fix? I applied that, and the limit to 5mb increase. The limit increase worked but the compression fix did not, tried it twice.

VDub2174

Moderator Captain
Trusted Member
Dec 28, 2009
Visit site
Flash = install

Root of sd card = just on it and not in any files.

Rom = your operating system / UI

So its not really, hacking, its having compete control of your phone and operating stuffs.

What about kernels? Are they flashed like you would a theme? No wipe required?

jonaddis84

Oct 6, 2010
Visit site
I applied the Baked Snack 1.7 rom last night, according to their website it includes a kernel, is that correct? I installed a cpu speed widget and never saw it exceed 998mhz even though it claims to overclock it to 1.267 or somehing like that.

Another question. What do you do about HTC, sprint, and Android updates when you have a custom ROM installed?

Thanks for the help

Oh, and if I want to uprade to the 1.8 baked snack do I still have to do a full wipe?

mr.wizard

Aug 3, 2010
Visit site
I applied the Baked Snack 1.7 rom last night, according to their website it includes a kernel, is that correct? I installed a cpu speed widget and never saw it exceed 998mhz even though it claims to overclock it to 1.267 or somehing like that.

Another question. What do you do about HTC, sprint, and Android updates when you have a custom ROM installed?

Thanks for the help

Oh, and if I want to uprade to the 1.8 baked snack do I still have to do a full wipe?
Yes, every rom has a kernel.
You o/c by installing an app like setcpu in the market, and setting it to no higher than 1.19ghz...most likely, setting it any higher will not work
Don't install any update, unless you want to break root(which is bad!) Best to wait for your rom chef to update their rom with the update.
Wiping isn't nesessiary, except in the bathroom. It is very necessiary then, and so is washing your hands...just sayin...make a nand backup just in case it doesn't work. Good luck

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Chelsea rae