Installing ROM Questions

paradroid

Aug 26, 2010
Visit site
Using my ROM manager premium I tried to install CyanogenMod. At the end of the process I got a failure message to email to Cyanongen. The phone rebooted and instead of a new mod, I was at the "out of the box" version of HTC EVO.

All my installed apps and settings were gone. Fortunately, I did a nandroid backup and figured out how to restore it and I am back to where I started.

I am not sure why the mod failed but after reading around here a bit someone mentioned try a new Cockworkmod recovery flash. So I did this and am ready to try to install a cyanogen mod again. I could try a different one, but Cyanogen sounds like it is the best one out there.

Anyway, my trouble got me to thinking. When I install a new ROM do I lose all my phone settings and downloaded apps, or did I lose everything because the ROM install failed?

This is not a huge deal, because I have had the phone for only a month, but if I will be basically at the start again, I need to make sure I try the rom install when I have time to set everything back up and won't be needing the phone.

d3xn2o

Apr 20, 2010
Visit site
Using my ROM manager premium I tried to install CyanogenMod. At the end of the process I got a failure message to email to Cyanongen. The phone rebooted and instead of a new mod, I was at the "out of the box" version of HTC EVO.

All my installed apps and settings were gone. Fortunately, I did a nandroid backup and figured out how to restore it and I am back to where I started.

I am not sure why the mod failed but after reading around here a bit someone mentioned try a new Cockworkmod recovery flash. So I did this and am ready to try to install a cyanogen mod again. I could try a different one, but Cyanogen sounds like it is the best one out there.

Anyway, my trouble got me to thinking. When I install a new ROM do I lose all my phone settings and downloaded apps, or did I lose everything because the ROM install failed?

This is not a huge deal, because I have had the phone for only a month, but if I will be basically at the start again, I need to make sure I try the rom install when I have time to set everything back up and won't be needing the phone.

Which HBoot do you have?

Which Root Method did you use?

Cram-jam

Sep 1, 2010
Visit site
I also tried installing (my first time flashing a ROM, or anything for that matter) WJD's Black Droid X Keyboard. I used Titanium Backup as well as backed up my existing ROM using ROM Manager...and got stuck on the "M" boot image. I was able to go back and reload (because I read and listened) and I'm OK. But I don't know if I did something wrong or what. Am I making this too difficult? Yes, I'm a NOOB. But I'm trying and I'm reading...but I'm not sure what I did wrong to cause it to get stuck on my first try using ROM Manager. I'm hesitant now to try and flash or change anything. I'm sure I left some details out here, but if some experienced Android Central gurus would help, it would be appreciated to learn and teach in the future.

paradroid

Aug 26, 2010
Visit site
My HBoot is 0.97.0000

I rooted with unrevoked3 to root phone.

I'll take a look at app brain and titanium and see what they save. Apps are easy to get back, it is contacts I set up, sms threats type stuff that I hate to lose.

So If I understand correctly, if I install Cyanongen and next week there is a Cyanongen upgrade, I basically wipe the phone again to upgrade or will at least the settings from the previous version of Cyanongen still be there?

d3xn2o

Apr 20, 2010
Visit site
My HBoot is 0.97.0000

I rooted with unrevoked3 to root phone.

I'll take a look at app brain and titanium and see what they save. Apps are easy to get back, it is contacts I set up, sms threats type stuff that I hate to lose.

So If I understand correctly, if I install Cyanongen and next week there is a Cyanongen upgrade, I basically wipe the phone again to upgrade or will at least the settings from the previous version of Cyanongen still be there?

K well thats your problem... you used Unrevoked...

You need Eng-Hboot 0.76.2000 to flash CM6

Refer to Liquid Jesus' Thread in the sticky section for proper rooting instructions

paradroid

Aug 26, 2010
Visit site
I google search brought me to a few methods to get Eng-Hboot 0.76.2000 on the phone. It seems all have the potential for some issues. What method is best to change my hboot version? If you have a link that would at least point me in the right direction that would be great.

Or maybe it would be best to try a different ROM where HBOOT version is not a big deal.

d3xn2o

Apr 20, 2010
Visit site
I google search brought me to a few methods to get Eng-Hboot 0.76.2000 on the phone. It seems all have the potential for some issues. What method is best to change my hboot version? If you have a link that would at least point me in the right direction that would be great.

Or maybe it would be best to try a different ROM where HBOOT version is not a big deal.

-____- STICKY

Read that thread... If you follow his directions at rooting you will be fine...

This is why I hate Unrevoked... just go back and do it right before you run into other issues...

I dont mean to be a douche but I did tell you to look at the stickies and you googles... Just sayin'

mmcnamara43

Dec 14, 2009
Visit site
im not sure way you guys always bash on unrevoked, I used it and have no trouble with the roms I want to use. You would think that there would be some sort of code for developers not to bash each other and maybe just respect each others work. I dont care either way but I would talk s@#t about another developer. Just my 2 cents.

Jerzyiroc

May 19, 2010
Visit site
im not sure way you guys always bash on unrevoked, I used it and have no trouble with the roms I want to use. You would think that there would be some sort of code for developers not to bash each other and maybe just respect each others work. I dont care either way but I would talk s@#t about another developer. Just my 2 cents.

There's a lot of reasons why people hate unrevoked. For one the amount of people that have issues. I'm glad you haven't had issues. But that doesn't negate the people that have had issues. My friends Camry drives great... Doesn't negate the thousands of Camry owners that had run-a-way cars. As far as the developers giving them love, not a chance. If the unrevoked method was open, they would have SO much credibility. But above that, it would make it incredibly easier to help people out that have issues after using unrevoked. But because they protect their method as if they have some crazy nuclear secrets or they have the truth about the Kennedy assassination it's extremely hard to help people and they also have zero credibility because of it. I'm not even gonna bring up unrevoked forever... THAT is just a disgrace. How they released that is beyond me..

Jerzyiroc

May 19, 2010
Visit site
I did not use that sticky and used unrevoked because the fewer steps the better for me.

Using the info from this thread ENG bootloader (0.76 needed for CM6) extended fastboot commands. - xda-developers I flashed Eng-Hboot 0.76.2000, cm6 and Google apps and am now trying to restore as much as possible with appbrain resync.

the right way > the easy way. Taking the easy way out of things isn't always the best way to do thing. It's like people I've seen over the years slap a 200 shot of nitrous on their stock engine then ***** that their motor blew up. Ya it worked for the moment and ya it was some easy and cheap power.. doesn't mean it was the smart or right thing to do..

mmcnamara43

Dec 14, 2009
Visit site
Thats my bad jerzy i didnt know that they werent a open source.I see your point about you not being able to help people because they bibe no info.I read alot of this fourm and you guys no your stuff. That's why I enjoy making statements and not getting flamed hard. I appreciate all you guys do and how you all share the knowledge. Thanks for Everything.