Takking Cyanogen 6.0 for a spin.

IanMcB

Aug 31, 2010
Visit site
So after a couple of weeks using VaelPak I decided to try out Cyanogen. After doing the Nand backup (I had my Evo dialed in pretty much perfectly for my use) I flashed HBoot .76, the ROM, and the GAPPS.

I read a lot of "holy crap, this didn't work" posts about this on various forums but really have to say, the whole flashing process was really painless. And AppBrain rules. I have to configure some of the apps but it's a lot better than going back and trying to remember what I had.

I'm running whatever stock kernel it comes with. Maybe after a day or 2 I might start experimenting with different ones.

EvoRoy

Jul 14, 2010
Visit site
I've been running Cyanogen for a while now and have no complaints. What are the different kernels that can be flashed with this ROM? Also did they ever address the HDMI issue?

paradroid

Aug 26, 2010
Visit site
I just installed Cyanogen. I have a program on the data card I want to install and I can't figure out how to do it. Before I would install downloaded programs with htc sync. I am sure there is a way with cyanogen.

Should I try to reinstall htc sync?

caliskimmer

Retired Moderator
Jul 11, 2010
Visit site
Still can't get freaking Cyanogen to work! I've tried downloading Simpleroot and putting the older bootloader on the Evo, but it just refuses to load. Instead, I just get the newer bootloader and an unwanted pc136img on the root of my sd card. This is quite disappointing, but at least there are other options out there.

IanMcB

Aug 31, 2010
Visit site
Still can't get freaking Cyanogen to work! I've tried downloading Simpleroot and putting the older bootloader on the Evo, but it just refuses to load. Instead, I just get the newer bootloader and an unwanted pc136img on the root of my sd card. This is quite disappointing, but at least there are other options out there.
On the Cyanogen wiki page he has a link to the older boot loader. You can download it and flash it as you would a ROM, etc.

Reactions: caliskimmer

IanMcB

Aug 31, 2010
Visit site
I just installed Cyanogen. I have a program on the data card I want to install and I can't figure out how to do it. Before I would install downloaded programs with htc sync. I am sure there is a way with cyanogen.

Should I try to reinstall htc sync?

Can you install Astro and install it from there? Browse out to the card and click on the app you want. Just make sure the option is checked to allow apps to be installed that aren't downloaded.

jedisrus

May 8, 2010
Visit site
I have Swype working on Cyanogen 6.0 running Snap 7.5 kernel. I have Swype because i got in on the beta if that makes any difference.

Last edited:

Jerzyiroc

May 19, 2010
Visit site
Are there any non-sense ROMS that have HDMI working?

All NonSense roms should have HDMI working since they're based off an official HTC Evo ROM (just heavily tweaked) which obviously already has HDMI in it. CM doesn't because it literally has nothing to do in any way shape or form with the htc evo rom other than they're both Android.

KSmithInNY

#winning
Oct 7, 2009
Visit site
Are there any non-sense ROMS that have HDMI working?

Something has been bothering me and this is as good of time as any to express that. People are getting non-sense and AOSP confused so I'd like to take a minute to clarify.

Sense: Sense is a ROM based off the HTC source AND uses the Rosie launcher.

Non-Sense: A ROM based off the HTC source but uses a launcher other than Rosie is non-sense. Sense widgets won't work on any launcher other than Rosie. It is the same exact base as sense just with 1 apk making the distinction. Some non-sense DEVs also throw in some AOSP apks to help define their ROM.

AOSP: This is basically boiled down to Cyanogen and the 100 flavors of CM. Not many (read, none) are compiling code from AOSP for a specific device other than Cyanogen. These developers start from scratch and do not use the manufacturer source as a base unlike the 2 options listed above.

I think because there are so many ROMs for the EVO it perpetuates this confusion but i see a lot of people call AOSP ROMs "non-sense" and see a lot of people calling non-sense ROMs "AOSP" which is a pet-peeve of mine.

Hope this heps anyone looking for distinction between ROMs.

Cheers!

Kevin OQuinn

AC Team Emeritus
May 17, 2010
Visit site
Something has been bothering me and this is as good of time as any to express that. People are getting non-sense and AOSP confused so I'd like to take a minute to clarify.

Sense: Sense is a ROM based off the HTC source AND uses the Rosie launcher.

Non-Sense: A ROM based off the HTC source but uses a launcher other than Rosie is non-sense. Sense widgets won't work on any launcher other than Rosie. It is the same exact base as sense just with 1 apk making the distinction. Some non-sense DEVs also throw in some AOSP apks to help define their ROM.

AOSP: This is basically boiled down to Cyanogen and the 100 flavors of CM. Not many (read, none) are compiling code from AOSP for a specific device other than Cyanogen. These developers start from scratch and do not use the manufacturer source as a base unlike the 2 options listed above.

I think because there are so many ROMs for the EVO it perpetuates this confusion but i see a lot of people call AOSP ROMs "non-sense" and see a lot of people calling non-sense ROMs "AOSP" which is a pet-peeve of mine.

Hope this heps anyone looking for distinction between ROMs.

Cheers!

Maybe you should sticky this explanation.

Sent from my EVO using Tapatalk Pro