Official Cyanogen 6.0+ Thread

paradroid

Aug 26, 2010
Visit site
I thought it would be good to give Cyanogen an official thread, I have seen this work well on other forums (not related to phones) where everyone interested in that topic can ask questions or search that thread for answers in one spot rather then all over the forum or in separate threads. It also stops hijacking of threads with questions from those that don't want to start a new topic for a quick question.

This is for questions for those with EVOs already using Cyanogen 6.0+, not on installation problems as that can take the thread way off course.

I just loaded Cyanogen yesterday. It is much different the HTC Sense and has both fewer and more options. So far, I like that the Sprint page is gone and wireless tethering is there. The jury is still out on whether it adds more value then it takes away.

It is missing 4G so if I travel to a place with 4G I guess I'll need to swap it out. There is also and issue with HDMI but I am not sure what that is or if really care.

At this time it is too early for me to say if I like Cyanogen more than stock HTC Sense so I will hold of on any critical reviews. I could put this thread in the Cyanogen developer forum but they chew up and spit out people like me that ask what they feel are stupid questions. This thread is meant to be a safe spot for those of us with stupid/newbie questions (and complaints) that may have simple answers. If you are a crusty old Cyanogen pro and hate stupid questions that have answers somewhere out there, it might be best to stay away from this thread.

[mods I won't be offended if you delete this thread but I thought I would give it a try]

I'll go first with my questions so far:

• No HTC sync. Because I no longer have HTC sync, I lost an easy way to sync with outlook or install programs from my hardrive. What are my alternatives?

• Cyanogen gives 5 home screens/secondary home screens to place icons and widgets. Right now all but two are empty. Is there a way to control the number of home screens in settings - I could not find anything. If not, what are some of you using all of those screens for?

• Shortcuts to web pages. There are a few pages I like to click on the icon on my phone top screen and go to the web page. For example, I want to put a hot link to my website admin on my home screen. I am pretty sure I could do this in HTC sense, but can't figure out how to do it in Cyanogen.

• Similar to 3. In sense I drilled down to a few spots in settings, like wireless & networking and put a direct link to that on my home screen for quick easy access without drilling down. It does not seem to be possible in Cyanogen to drag and drop secondary + levels of settings to the home screens so I need to keep digging to the same spots from the settings area.

• HTC sense had some nice icons set up on one of its screens where I could turn on and off 4g, wifi, bluetooth etc..with a simple touch without digging in settings, does Cyanogen have something like that. How do you do quick connectivity changes. Maybe there is a good widget for this.

• I miss the Cool HTC Sense weather widget on the homepage with the nice giant date. Anyone find a good replacement?

• With HTC Sense, when I plugged in my phone via USB to my computer I had a few different options that would pop up, (Sync, Charge Only, data, Tether). Anyway to get that back with Cyanogen?
    * How do I get the phone to show up on my PC when I plug it into it via usb?
    * How do I move stuff to my sdcard now?
    * How do I turn on wired Tethering, Wireless tethering is fine, but wireless tethering is faster and uses less battery life. Do I need to get the June Fabric paid app now or is wired tethering still available in Cyanogen?

That's my questions for now. I am sure I'll have more but I just wanted to get the party started.

Last edited by a moderator:

d3xn2o

Apr 20, 2010
Visit site
I'll bite... Any real questions based on CM6 I'll attempt to help

For your home screen question go into ADW Settings and play around in there...

You can change the amount of screens you need and or want also which screen is the home screen

For the home screen weather widget either use Beautiful widgets or Fancy Widget if you can find it... Fancy had issues with HTC because it was an exact replica

if you drop down the notification bar it should give you the option to switch the SD card to view on your pc

Wired tether is turned on under options just go in and find it...

With CM6 the best thing to do is play around dig and find stuff

It has a lot going on to be honest...

Reactions: Oakleyguy

paradroid

Aug 26, 2010
Visit site
Thanks for your quick and easy to understand answers.

Are direct deep links shortcuts into the settings not possible on the home screens.

Also, shortcuts to specific web pages on the home screens not possible?

d3xn2o

Apr 20, 2010
Visit site
Thanks for your quick and easy to understand answers.

Are direct deep links shortcuts into the settings not possible on the home screens.

Also, shortcuts to specific web pages on the home screens not possible?

Tap and hold on the screen then click shortcuts see what you can add

Im not on CM6 right now so i cant tell you for sure...

Reactions: acedanger

IanMcB

Aug 31, 2010
Visit site
You can create a shortcut to a bookmark (stock browser or Dolphin) in Cyanogen.

The 'Power Control' widget is what I'm using to turn on/off WiFi, bluetooth, etc.

thekarens

May 18, 2010
Visit site
On stock CM6 stable (which is what I'm using) if you scroll to the right from the home page there's a bar at the top with wifi, bluetooth, gps, etc right there to click on and off.

ADW is the default launcher with CM6 and there are endless customizations for it including themes etc.

paradroid

Aug 26, 2010
Visit site
@ratdog07067 the Power Control widget seems pretty good giving me instant access to the the data/radio functions.

It's not the most elegant looking app but it does the job without me having to dig into the settings constantly. Do you know how I can edit the widget once I set it up?

It takes a while to create and I want to change one button without recreating the whole widget.

mr.wizard

Aug 3, 2010
Visit site
@ratdog07067 the Power Control widget seems pretty good giving me instant access to the the data/radio functions.

It's not the most elegant looking app but it does the job without me having to dig into the settings constantly. Do you know how I can edit the widget once I set it up?

It takes a while to create and I want to change one button without recreating the whole widget.
I don't think you can, once its made. You just have to make sure you get it right the first time

IanMcB

Aug 31, 2010
Visit site
So I flashed Snap 7.6 (without the turbo part) and the first full day with it was not a good one for data. 3G and Wifi connections were dropping all day. I found a thread on XDA where some people mentioned similar problems, so I just downloaded and flashed KingX AOSP BFS#2. Hope the results are better.

paradroid

Aug 26, 2010
Visit site
I don't think you can, once its made. You just have to make sure you get it right the first time
Beans!

One thing I noticed is my battery drained down fairly fast yesterday. Maybe because I spent a lot of time setting things up and messing with it. I rarely went below 50% at the end of a day at stock. Something to keep an eye on though.

IanMcB

Aug 31, 2010
Visit site
In a very unscientific test, it appears that something in the KINGX kernels (BFS and CFS) do something that inhibits WiFi tethering on CM6 from working (or at least they did on my Evo). When I reflashed Snap 7.6 tethering worked no problem.

igotsanevo4g

Retired Moderator
Jul 31, 2010
Visit site
Cm6 has weak battery life, use set cpu to help out with it but other than using snap or kind kernels theres not much you can do.

I personally make it through the day with cm6 using snap 7.6 turbo just fine.

Jesse

Dec 7, 2008
Visit site
I'm seeing some pretty weak battery life as well. I'm using king's AOSP #2 kernel as well. I really like cm6, but part of me also wants to give plain old vanilla Android 2.2 a go.

Sent from my Evo 4G using Tapatalk Pro.

SanGo

May 13, 2010
Visit site
I'm seeing some pretty weak battery life as well. I'm using king's AOSP #2 kernel as well. I really like cm6, but part of me also wants to give plain old vanilla Android 2.2 a go.

Sent from my Evo 4G using Tapatalk Pro.

But cm6 IS vanilla Android....

Jerzyiroc

May 19, 2010
Visit site
TECHNICALLY it's not. Because there are some added CM stuff in there. Pure Vanilla Android would be as basic as basic can get, like the Nexus One.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
akbarramadhani12