unrEVOked. The good, the bad, the ugly

Status
Not open for further replies.

truslide

Aug 25, 2010
Visit site
Senior Members VOTE NOW! (lol)

This is for you if...
1. You have not rooted your phone and are considering root, using the unrEVOked3 method.
2. You have rooted your phone with unrEVOked3, and notice that... something just ISN'Tright
3. You have rooted with unrEVOked3 and you THINK everything is alright up to now.

This is my experience with unrEVOked3.
I've never rooted, jailbroken, or hacked anything. I'm not a programmer, bottom line, but I am a fast learner and I can understand things with a good hands on explanation. Very good with mechanics! For example, if there is an explanation of what I'm doing, while I'm doing it, then I'M LEARNING IT.
With unrEVOked3, this is not the case. Everything is done behind a curtain, so you as the uneducated user are totally in the dark. EVEN IF YOU'VE USED SEARCH AND "READ READ READ", it's worthless. It's like reading a recipe and going to the store to buy it and eat it. Make sense?
Well, I was about to go on a cross country road trip because I got reassigned in the military. I wanted to root my phone so I had WiFi and could use my computer while on the road (and let me tell you what it was a life saver). I rooted with unrEVOked3, and that was it. I downloaded some apps that required root (ROM Manager, Root Explorer, Titanium Backup) and I was off.

I performed a backup with Titanium Backup, downloaded WiFi tether, and thought I was golden.

Well, when I wanted to flash a ROM, things got sticky. I couldn't boot into recovery. Why you may ask? GOOD QUESTION! It couldn't be diagnosed because unrEVOked3 doesn't provide anything to figure out where the bug or issue is. So I was stuck. Not only stuck with the ability to not flash a ROM, but more importantly, I COULDN'T DO A NANDROID BACKUP! This single most essential thing for rooting is being able to nandroid backup (full system back up for you learners out there). It was terrifying, not knowing what state my phone was in, or what I had actually done to it.
So, I finally got to my destination, and got online with an awesome guy, and now a good friend (JerzyIROC). He hung with me while I used LiquidJesus' unroot method... HERE

Then a reroot for the phone... HERE

See... when you root your phone, all you're really doing is adding files, removing files, replacing files. And what this does is it changes the state of the phone. For example, since I'm mechanical I'll use this metaphor... It's like replacing old worn out tires, bad tires=bad grip, new/good tires=better grip. Changing the oil causes the motor to run cleaner and smoother. Using better fuel in the engine causes better performance from the motor. Keeping the fuel injectors clean gives you better gas mileage and increases the life of your engine. Adding a TURBO charger makes your car go WEEEEEEEE! Are you understanding better what Rooting actually is? You're not doing anything other than taking full ownership of you phone, and making modifications to necessary parts of the system so that you get a desired effect.
Anyway, after this happened, I was able to boot into recovery, flash a radio, WiMax update, kernel, and ROM. Life was good. And to top it all off, I actually SAW what I was doing WHILE it was happening. This makes a world of difference, I knew what was effecting the system at what point. It did help a lot that JerzyIROC was there to educate me and answer questions.
So, if you are a n00b, and you are nervous and need help PM ME. I'm am by no means an Android legend, but I WILL HELP YOU THE BEST I CAN, because someone did that for me, and thats what we're here for, right?

BUT I implore you!!! I swear you must do the following...

1. Read. Better yet EDUCATE yourself
2. Search either for a specific question or specific material in a thread (did you know that BEFORE you even make a post, once you enter in a title A WINDOW POPS UP WITH RELATED THREADS! Please read them first.
3. PM an expert with a repeated question if you're that dense, do not start a new thread.
4. If your questions hasn't been specifically answered, then post to a current thread with a related topic.

and finally, the most important
5. DO NOT ROOT WITH UNREVOKED3 and DO NOT USE UNREVOKED FOREVER

Here is an example of all the drama people had to go through with unrevoked... "the SIMPLE METHOD"
Example

I'd like to thank the following...
JerzyIROC, LiquidJesus, dx3n2o, igotsanevo4g.

Last edited:

27scoob

May 22, 2010
Visit site
Unrevoked.... pros vs cons....

I would like to hear all the pros and cons about using Unrevoked 3 or Unrevoked forever. Alright go ahead let it fly....

27scoob

May 22, 2010
Visit site
I asked for pro vs con... but if all someone has is opinion that is fine too. I mean this is just an online forum , so it is what is pull the plug or kill your battery and it don't exist. So cheers and thanks for the reply.

thekarens

May 18, 2010
Visit site
I also rooted with unrevoked with absolutely no problems whatsoever. I think the people who have problems are the people who don't spend the time doing enough researching and finding out what they are getting into.

I've flashed roms, kernels, changed my splash screen and boot animation with absolutely no problems. Do I think I could have gone the long route to root? Yes, I could have. Would it have made any difference? No, because I still wouldn't know any more than I currently do, but I can follow directions and research.

Reactions: 27scoob

Kevin OQuinn

AC Team Emeritus
May 17, 2010
Visit site
I asked for pro vs con... but if all someone has is opinion that is fine too. I mean this is just an online forum , so it is what is pull the plug or kill your battery and it don't exist. So cheers and thanks for the reply.

The problem is that there are a ton of threads about unrevoked already, with the heavyweights here pretty much proclaiming that it causes too many problems (ok maybe not unrevoked itself but the fact that you can't troubleshoot it) to be worth it.

Search the forum and look at how many people used unrevoked and then had to unroot and follow the sticky (I mean it is a sticky for a reason) to get real root.

For me there are no pro's only cons.

So given the fact that there are probably 20+ threads on this topic already I have to wonder why ask the question in the first place? Laziness? Take some time and do some reading. That's how we all learned.

d3xn2o

Apr 20, 2010
Visit site
I also rooted with unrevoked with absolutely no problems whatsoever. I think the people who have problems are the people who don't spend the time doing enough researching and finding out what they are getting into.

I've flashed roms, kernels, changed my splash screen and boot animation with absolutely no problems. Do I think I could have gone the long route to root? Yes, I could have. Would it have made any difference? No, because I still wouldn't know any more than I currently do, but I can follow directions and research.

Your an Exception... Most are the Rule... And Im always glad to see someone like you who did do research and followed directions...

And you would be someone I would help out if something happened...

but you know where im going with this...

Status
Not open for further replies.