Why Flash Roms?

mrdavis55

Jul 3, 2010
Visit site
I had the day off today and so i decided to go ahead and try and different ROM...

I used the new ROM all through the day and then just went back to my back-up...

I dont understand what the big deal was... It was pretty much the same as the ROM that came on my evo accept for some new flashy stuff and some pretty rough looking themes.... Everything was the exact same speed... battery was the same... Except for the fact the new rom could not seem to remember where my widgets went after a reboot... and couldnt seem to change the wallpaper....

This reminds me of changing themes on my PRE... kinda neat... but worthless in real life....

Am I missing something????

truslide

Aug 25, 2010
Visit site
Questions...

1. Did you wipe all the data, dalvik cache, and cache before you flashed the ROM?

2. Did you re-install all of your apps?

3. The widgets you mention... are they compatible with the ROM?

4. Did you flash a sense rom or non-sense rom?

5. Did you flash a new kernel?

6. Did you flash a new radio?

7. Did you do the batt stat wipe?
Read here to see about battery performance

8. Did you try setCPU? Underclocking and Overclocking?

9. What ROM did you flash? Vaelpak v2.2 is completely different then the stock rom

If you did all this maybe it isn't for you... Did you miss something?

Reactions: mrdavis55

igotsanevo4g

Retired Moderator
Jul 31, 2010
Visit site
Yes, what rom did you flash?

I highly doubt if you flashed any of the roms in my signature you would be saying any of this.

Some roms have subtle improvements while others are completely different from stock, namely CM6.

But thats the beauty of android, you can have what you want.

Download Cyanogen mod from rom manager app in the market, you will not be disappointed. Right now youre just starting out, but when you get into kernels and themes and mods and fixes AND the list goes on, you will enjoy that rooted phone of youres.

HTC Supersonic: EVO 4G - xda-developers

Go there, i guarantee something will catch your eye. I recommend picking one from my signature if youre feeling adventurous.

thekarens

May 18, 2010
Visit site
CM6 isn't necessarily better, just different, completely different from Sense. It's better to me because I prefer it, but others may not. Your mileage (battery life) will vary depending on the Rom and the kernel you use. Rom manager makes flashing from rom to rom much easier and you can flash roms on the go.

FractalSphere

May 28, 2010
Visit site
I finally loaded Backed Snack 1.8 on mine and while resynching all my contacts and linking them was kind of a pain, it wasn't that bad for the immediate improvements I've seen in battery life and the minor theme tweaks that make it stand out from the normal SenseUI.

It's worth it to try, and very worth it to get Titanium pro. Backup your apps and restore easily, though I'm finding myself not loading about half the apps I had. Lots of 'oh, that's just a time-waster I don't need it' kind of thinking. :p

sasha

Jul 13, 2010
Visit site
I agree with others definitely flash another kind of rom preferably one without sense and you will see the difference. CM6 is the best to me and it's actually become my everyday rom of choice!

d3xn2o

Apr 20, 2010
Visit site
I agree with others definitely flash another kind of rom preferably one without sense and you will see the difference. CM6 is the best to me and it's actually become my everyday rom of choice!

Addict... :confused: *PM me if you wanna Try out Smooth Sense for CM6*

I agree Flash something different Any sense will feel the same

Flash a Non-Sense or an ASOP Rom and you'll see big differences

VDub2174

Moderator Captain
Trusted Member
Dec 28, 2009
Visit site
The ROM I'm using is Sense based but the look is different and the battery life has changed a lot.

TehMan

Jul 14, 2010
www.facebook.com
booo
tomatocp.gif

truslide

Aug 25, 2010
Visit site
I use Valepak v2.2 and love it. I'm actually doing a thread you might be interested in following. I'm running different kernels and using batt snap to get snap shots of my battery life as I use it throughout the day. I'm testing two Kingxkernels and two netarchy-toast kernels. I'll try baked snack after these, its gunna take a few days. Here's the link, might help you out.

Kernels for Battery life

paradroid

Aug 26, 2010
Visit site
I did it just to clean all the bloatware off my phone and maybe save a bit of battery life. Really, flashing ROMs is more of a hobby for those that like to tinker a bit.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
johndoe11