Recommended Rom/Kernel?

RandomNickname

May 17, 2010
Visit site
Okay, I will admit, I am a noob when it comes to this sort of thing. I have rooted my EVO, I am enjoying some of the things I can do with it, but I still have a massive issue with battery life, some sluggishness from time to time, etc.

So I am looking for recommendations on whether or not I should go Rom and Kernel, just a Kernel, etc. I'm not married to Sense or not, nor to the Sprint Apps (though their football one is fairly nifty), but I want something that will be solid with my phone, unlock the framerate, keep the battery nice and happy, and maybe even WiMax and Un-Nerfed HDMI. (these last two may be a difficult call for now, I understand)

What can I get that will allow me to do these, and look nice as well? I understand Cyanogen is a favorite, but I wanted to find out about others as well, just in case. And sadly, I've been trying to mine the forums and get info, but I end up more lost than informed because of all of the various info.

So, please, show mercy, and maybe a little help? Thanks.

Jerzyiroc

May 19, 2010
Visit site
VaelPak, CM6, Myn's. Those are probably the must tries for the Evo. Fresh is pretty good do but personally I didn't like it much.

2CupsWithString

passionately curious
Jun 1, 2010
Visit site
I gotta give love to the AC 2.7 ROM, I tried a bunch back in July/August, then had quite an exclusive relationship with CM6, then I went to AC2.6, then to AC2.7.

TWC_SouthPhilly

Jun 6, 2010
Visit site
I really like Baked Snack. It's a Sence ROM, very stable, has a bunch of the Sprint bloatware removed. And it is very stable. I've had no issues with force closes. And great battery life.

Richard_Danger

May 16, 2010
www.twitter.com
I would recommend Myn RLS2 with Kings CFS #11 kernal (see my signature for the links). Myn's RLS2 is the best looking ROM I have used and it runs VERY smooth. This combination of Myn RL2 and Kings CFS #11 has given me the bet battery life of any ROM/kernal combination I have used. With moderate usage, I can get through a day with ~50% left. With other ROM/kernals I would be at 30%. Plus the fps cap is removed, you can OC, and it just runs extremely smooth.

I have been using Myn's rom's for 3 weeks now. Before that I was flashing new ROM's once or twice a week. But I am stuck on Myn's warm ROMs now.

vincey2kr1

Aug 11, 2010
Visit site
Myn's rom! It simply works and looks great. Play with different kernels. I get 20 hrs on net archy's 4.1.9.1 cvs under volt but it doesn't work on every ones evo. If it doesn't try king 11 or 9

thekarens

May 18, 2010
Visit site
I think you need to try a few for yourself to see what suits you. I think Myn's is the best looking, but I had problems with it, enough that I switched to Fresh and I like that a lot. CM6 is my favorite, but probably isn't what you're looking for. I'm really hoping liquid will become stable soon. It looks like it's going to be sweet!

FractalSphere

May 28, 2010
Visit site
I really like Baked Snack. It's a Sence ROM, very stable, has a bunch of the Sprint bloatware removed. And it is very stable. I've had no issues with force closes. And great battery life.

Seconded! I was on stock 2.2, then rooted, and loaded the Rooted Deodexed 2.2 ROM. Terrible and erratic battery life. Clean load with Baked Snack 1.8 and smooth sailing. It was NOT as much of a hassle as I dreaded it would be to re-sync and link my contacts. And trimmed a bunch of time-waster apps, too.

If you don't ever buy any other apps, I recommend Titanium Pro, SystemPanel and Root Explorer.

RandomNickname

May 17, 2010
Visit site
Thanks for the suggestions.

I went ahead and tried WarmTwoPointTwo and it seems pretty swank so far. Interestingly I tried it with the Kings Kernel 11 that was suggested, but had REALLY bad voltage regulation issues. The screen would flicker constantly, and the thing kept rebooting arbitrarily. the ROM on its own is working fine though.

I'll definitely give a few more a try as I go along, just to see what I like and how I like them. This was a nice start, and definitely a good way to introduce myself to the process of flashing them (which isn't too bad at all, really)

Again thanks for the help, and I'll be trying more out as we go along. (Of course, once 2.3/3.0 comes out, who knows what I'll do then ;))

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
crazyload03