root curious

Shootin4aces

Oct 15, 2010
Visit site
ok, so i have had my EVO since launch day and i absolutely love it!!! considering the idea of rooting it, this is my first run at android so i'm reasonably new at all this obviously!!! What do i gain from rooting the EVO? other then removing bloatware and a little extra customization, what else do i really gain? is it truly worth it? i need feedback and convincing before making a decision to do it!!!

IIJBII

Oct 14, 2009
Visit site
ok, so i have had my EVO since launch day and i absolutely love it!!! considering the idea of rooting it, this is my first run at android so i'm reasonably new at all this obviously!!! What do i gain from rooting the EVO? other then removing bloatware and a little extra customization, what else do i really gain? is it truly worth it? i need feedback and convincing before making a decision to do it!!!

I would say (not to sound harsh) but if you need convincing maybe rooting isn't for you? I understand what you are saying because I recently rooted and I'm trying different ROMS to see if these meet my needs better then stock. I was happy with stock 2.2 but just wanted to explore other options. I would first ask you are you happy with the way your phone/ROM currently is? Does it do/perform to your requirements? If yes, there may not be a reason to root.

Take a look at this - Rooting- Is it for me? Some Q&A | Android Central

With that said (should you decide to root) there are a lot of great threads/post on rooting, ROMS and instructions.

Here's the tread I used to root - Make sure you read all the directions and follow them exactly.

Also, there are so many great members on this forum is you have questions. Do a search for your topic and post your question if you cant find your answer.

If you have any questions please ask! Hopefully this helps!

Reactions: Shootin4aces

KSmithInNY

#winning
Oct 7, 2009
Visit site
i need feedback and convincing before making a decision to do it!!!

Admitting you want to root is the first step to a custom recovery! ;)

Due to the sentence I've quoted above, it sounds like you may not want to root or need to root. The reason i say this is because people typically root with a purpose in mind like "I want free tethering" or "I need improved battery life".

Ultimately what you need to ask yourself is, are you happy with the phone? If you are then why root? Please keep in mind that we all have and love our $500 phones equally. If by chance something happens to your $500 phone, mine will still work. What I'm saying is that's your phone, your money, do what makes you happy and don't let us folks influence your decision.

If you want some pro's and con's to rooting search around the forums. I think the EVO section has had no less than 10 threads discussing pro's and con's.

If you decide to take the plunge, you're in the best android community around. There's a STICKY on how to root that's filled with tons of good questions and answers. What great news for you is there are so many people who have rooted now that you won't be able to find yourself in a situation that someone hasn't been in before and posted the answer on how to get out of.

The best piece of advice i can give is read read read, then when you think you're done, read some more lol.

Cheers!

PhantomPhreak53

May 15, 2010
Visit site

It is completely up to you. Those are the basic perks of rooting. The main reason I rooted mine was because I wanted to get rid of all that stupid bloatware that Sprint loads up and I wanted free Wireless tethering. The only major set back is you won't be able to do OTA updates anymore but with how fast these people work, you can get the OTA updates rooted a few days after the mass does.

truslide

Aug 25, 2010
Visit site
i'd like to make a caveat on this. The OTA update issue with root users might be going away soon. I know a lot of devs, Vaelek in paticular, is working on making OTA updates available during root.

You have to ask yourself if you're content with the phone functioning at its capacity. If you want better battery life, then root. If you want better performance, then root. If you want to increase your 4G reach, root.

If you need help ask. But please search first. Just browse the titles of the most recent 3 or 4 pages. You dont even have to use the search button. The most annoying thing is a user who is just lazy and doesn't want to put in the effort. If you truely are confused and need help, then ask. We've ALL been there, I don't care if your Steve blo-Jobs. We've all been there. Rooting is great because it gives you total owner ship of your phone.

Keep in mind that there are multiple ways to root, (everyone has their preference), there are multilpe ROMs, kernels, and other .zip's that will effect your phone in a unique way. You'll have to try out different combinations. What works best for me is in my signature. You literally have to find your flavor (pun intended).

Let us know if you need help. So far the members who have posted in your thread can answer any question you've searched and don't understand