[Attention][Root] New root method for new Hboots

igotsanevo4g

Retired Moderator
Jul 31, 2010
Visit site
Okay, this only applies to those who have the new Hboot from the .2/.3 updates or 0004 hardware editions.

The stickied method will NOT work for you as of 11-22-10 (I'm sure LJ will update it eventually), unevoked will not work either, because your Hboot is newer-2.02 or 2.10. Just to make sure you have this Hboot, and not the easy-nice-rootable ones, power your phone off, then press vol down+power to boot into your bootloader. From there look to your top left corner and it will tell you your Hboot #. If it is anything other than 2.02/2.10, then head to the sticky and grab root access while you can.

If your phone has the 2.02/2.10 then your going to need to do some extra steps on top of previous root methods.

A complete guide for you 2.02/2.10 folks can be found here.

[ROOT][GUIDE] HBoot 2.02/2.10 SOFF - Merry Christmas Edition - Upd. 12.25.10 - xda-developers

Update - I havent tested this, but it now works on the new hboots also, please read the whole thread.
[ROOT] ~~~ HTC EVO - Universal Auto Root ~~~ v1.9.4 (12/22/10) - xda-developers

Be warned, this stickied guide may not be for the faint of heart, READ IT ALL.

IF you do go for it, go with caution, and DO NOT panic. Just follow the guide to the letter. Do NOT freakout and do a not planned battery pull, this is BAD.

Update - Most stuff has been ironed out, and i recommend rooting while ya can.

Goodluck.

Ps- Youre gonna need Adb set up for this, and i would suggest it even if you arent doing this. [GUIDE] ADB Workshop and Guide for everyone - xda-developers

It has been brought to my attention that flashing roms through rom manager after this method can screw your bootloader, so far only one person has had this problem, and there is a fix. But if you want to air on the side of caution, Download em to the SD and flash them manually. I'm going to look into this ASAP.

Last edited by a moderator:

jtcosgrove

Apr 25, 2010
Visit site
I rooted my EVO (first time ever rooting) and had some problems but was able to get it work just fine. As indicated just follow the steps very closly and you shoud be fine.

UndeadCircus

Nov 12, 2010
Visit site
@igotsanevo4g - Hey buddy. Thanks a for linking this! Looks like my phone will probably need these instructions, since using the sticky thread I think is the culprit at bricking my USB and SD card access (not that they were poorly written, just that they were written for a different version of the Evo than the brand new one I have).

I'm back in question asking mode, because I think I want to jump in to trying to root the new one I got the other day seeing as how these instructions have now surfaced for the "newer" Evo phones. Before answering any questions I may post, here are the specs on my phone currently:

- 100% stock, nothing added, nothing removed
- Model Number: PC36100
- Hardware Version: 0004
- Android Version: 2.2
- Baseband Version: 2.15.00.09.01
- Kernel Version: 2.6.32.15-ge2fb08e / htc-kernel@and19-2 #11
- Build Number: 3.29.651.5 CL252548 release-keys
- Software Number: 3.29.651.5
- Browser Version: WebKit 3.1
- PRI Version: 1.77_003
- PRL Version: 60671

Some of that stuff above may be unnecessary (such as browser version) but I wanted to post every set of numbers I could find JUST to make sure I wouldn't run into the same issue as before. Now, with those versions and numbers in mind, is this article that you linked to going to be the one to root my phone?

Also, I'm back to having my brain jumbled with this kernel, hboot, rom, root stuff. My question is that I see some people talking about recoveries and all kinds of stuff. What is the first thing to do? In what order do I need to add kernels, recoveries, roms, etc?

Let's say I flashed my recovery without flashing a kernel and a rom, would that screw something up? Or if I flashed a kernel without flashing a rom or a recovery, would that screw something up?

In what order do all of those things need to be flashed/wiped/cleared/cached/etc?

I'm just insanely confused on WHAT needs to be done to get something like say...CM6 on the phone. What needs to be flashed? What needs to be recovered? What needs to be backed up? Blah blah blah..

I tried looking through as many of those 100+ pages of posts in that thread you lined, but I don't get any clear-cut answers. Especially any that are targeted to version numbers like the ones on my phone currently (that I mentioned above).

Thanks a bunch for all of your help around here. :)

igotsanevo4g

Retired Moderator
Jul 31, 2010
Visit site
Here's some helpful links, and DONT NOT ACCEPT ANY UPDATES.

http://forum.androidcentral.com/hacking/6037-general-rom-faq.html

http://forum.androidcentral.com/hac...ed-questions-concerns-about-rooting-here.html

And if you've heard adb being thrown around here's a little something

http://forum.androidcentral.com/hacking/18588-adb-basics-windows-only.html

Alright read those, then if you have any questions ill clear em up afterwards.
oh and find out your hboot# by volume down+power. Do that with the power off. After you tell me what hboot you have, I can tell you what guide to foloow.

truslide

Aug 25, 2010
Visit site
igotsanevo4g, LJ, and iamlilysdad... I just want to say thanks. This should help a lot because the forum was being flooding with root problems.

I believe LJ has updated his sticky to the most recent. Thanks LJ.

All you new rooters, please take your time with this, if you get stuck, don't do anything, re-read the instructions, and jump on the computer and start asking questions. Stuck meaning something isn't going right... Good luck guys.

UndeadCircus

Nov 12, 2010
Visit site
Alright read those, then if you have any questions ill clear em up afterwards.
oh and find out your hboot# by volume down+power. Do that with the power off. After you tell me what hboot you have, I can tell you what guide to foloow.
Here is all of the information I get at the top of that white screen:

SUPERSONIC EVT3 SHIP S-ON
HBOOT-0.97.0000
MICROP-041f
TOUCH PANEL-ATMELC03_16ac
RADIO-2.15.00.09.01
Aug 19 2010, 14:29:00

vegas3416

Oct 21, 2010
Visit site
Where's the sticky for the new hboots? Maybe I can't read lol...but seriously do you have a link somewhere or guide? Thanks in advance. Trying to get this done for a friend asap.

igotsanevo4g

Retired Moderator
Jul 31, 2010
Visit site
If you have the new hboot (2.02) then there's a link for you in the first post..

If you have a different one, the sticky will work.

UndeadCircus

Nov 12, 2010
Visit site
Soooooo... I know I probably went against the grain here as far as opinions go, but I cheated and used unrEVOked on my phone to root it. :p It worked perfectly fine.. I didn't have any hiccups or anything so my phone is now 100% rooted and ready to go. :) I tested it by installing AdFree and it worked without a hitch.

Now I'm about to flash CM6 using Rom Manager. I already have ClockworkMod Recovery installed as well. So, here goes on flashing CM6...Hope nothing breaks! :p

UndeadCircus

Nov 12, 2010
Visit site
Yes sir. Everything is installed and up and running. I'm now on CM6 and looooving it. The only small issue I've noticed is that every now and then when I've got something downloading and my status bar is updating my screen will start flickering and it seems like the video drivers start acting a little weird. All I do then is just reboot the phone and everything goes back to normal.

Is there anything you suggest I install to play around with or experiment with? I'm loving this root accessibility and how free I feel now. :p Besides the marketplace, do you know of anywhere that has themes to use with ADWLauncher?

stavros816

Nov 27, 2010
Visit site
i got a radio error and i cannot boot my phone anymore, it freezes on the htc logo, how do i out the original boot image back in?!!??!?!?!?! i cant reroot it if my phone wont open

UndeadCircus

Nov 12, 2010
Visit site
i got a radio error and i cannot boot my phone anymore, it freezes on the htc logo, how do i out the original boot image back in?!!??!?!?!?! i cant reroot it if my phone wont open
Stick to one thread bro. You already created a whole new topic asking for help.. It would be best for you to stick to that one to keep yourself from having to check tons of different threads for answers. One thing you can also try would be to go into the XDA developers IRC chat to see if someone can offer immediate assistance that way. Just go to http://webchat.freenode.net/ and in the "Channels:" box type #HTC-EVO

Those guys are usually pretty helpful if you can get past their A.D.D. ;)

Dave Blake

May 7, 2010
Visit site
Sadly I have hardware 0002 still but this is an important thread for our new EVO owners so I'm making it a sticky thread.

Later,
Dave

igotsanevo4g

Retired Moderator
Jul 31, 2010
Visit site

Okay, since i have not been through this root method i am a little ignorant on the quirks.

So, go to the unrooting thread, and download the latest RUU (or download the latest from HTC/Sprint websites), and follow the unrooting directions.

BUT, when you go to run the RUU, make sure your phone is in fastboot (vol up + power to boot into fastboot), then run the RUU.

Even though you arent rooted, just do it.