Root question

truslide

Aug 25, 2010
Visit site
In the hacks section there is a sticky up top by LiquidJesus. He JUST updated it so all the info is FRESH!

When rooting with unrevoked it is NOT in fact a one click method. You have to do more. You'll have to look into XDA to find out but there is more to it because I once tried unrevoked and it didn't work. I then later found out that after you use the one step method youre supposed to do a couple more steps to achieve full root. Now, I'm not sure but I want to say it involved using the adb... don't hold me to it. Do research. Simpleroot is "one step" too, FYI. It's just one step AFTER you push all the files thru the adb :)

Consider reading up in Hacks section. Thats what it's there for. I'll be surprised if iamlilysdad doesnt move this thread. Also... be wary, he'll close the thread unless reference to unrevoked is technical. I'll go digging for that info, but in the mean time go with whats advised above.

READ THIS

The first line should answer your first and last question about unrevoked one click method...

On that page, A few posts down there are some follow on links. I suggest you read them all... anyone who is in this unrevoked full root situation

Last edited:

kamtsa

Aug 6, 2010
Visit site
Jerzyiroc, just to be clear. I'm not refering to the one step method. The long one. I would like to do it myself. Learn something. Also flash my own roms. Doing alot of research. That's why I look for you guys for guidance.

Looks rooted to me (Root access OK).

What are you trying to do?

BTW, have you backup your ROM? (nandroid in the recovery monitor) or get ROM Manager from the Market.

Also, note that if you want full control over you phone, you also need to remove the internal Flash memory protection. Look for 'revoked3 forever'. This will get you the S-OFF state.

steveh552

Trusted Member
Mar 6, 2010
Visit site

BTW, have you backup your ROM? (nandroid in the recovery monitor) or get ROM Manager from the Market.

Also, note that if you want full control over you phone, you also need to remove the internal Flash memory protection. Look for 'revoked3 forever'. This will get you the S-OFF state.

I mainly want to remove bloatware and use free tether. Maybe get brave and try other roms. I have not seen recovery monitor.

Sent from my EVO via Tapatalk pro.

eldub1

Jul 7, 2010
Visit site

That's what I was looking for. The above video mentioned unrevolked3. Just wanted to confirm the was the right way to gain root access. You wireless teather, remove bloatware. Maybe overclock.

kamtsa

Aug 6, 2010
Visit site
That's what I was looking for. The above video mentioned unrevolked3. Just wanted to confirm the was the right way to gain root access. You wireless teather, remove bloatware. Maybe overclock.

Another thing you may want to do is to switch to a non stock ROM (make sure to backup your current ROM first). There are tons of such ROMs and some have larger fan groups than others. Personally I use cyanogenmod because is close to the stock Google non branded experience (it is also the only one I have tried so far).

truslide

Aug 25, 2010
Visit site
^ What he said. If you guys are nervous about testing the waters you can flash VaelPak v2.3. It's the most stable ROM you'll find as of right now. The developer support is incredible, Vaelek is awesome. He has a website you can contact him and me and Jerzy are supporters/friends of Vaeleks. Anyway... happy flashing.

eldub1

Jul 7, 2010
Visit site
I'm testing the water right now. I want to fully understand the root method in the sticky before I try it. I'm on a fact finding mission. I'm a novice when flashing anything.

charlie hustle

Jul 27, 2010
Visit site
Unrevoked is not a one click method. But it's still easier than using a terminal interface. One thing I had to learn was to install drivers for my phone so it can communicate with my pc. It took me about 20 minutes to achieve root.

Sent from my evo via tapatalk

truslide

Aug 25, 2010
Visit site
The thing is... a root user should be familiar with the interface. One of the reasons we root the phone is so that we can have customization over the phone, as well as use it's full potential. Understanding and learning the adb within a terminal is important. Root users should know the difference between the "adb" and a standard "terminal" as well as have a general knowledge of how to access the phone through a terminal and push/pull items. In addition to that... learning the adb is great because you can customize your phone much further, on your own, to your own liking, if youre able to work the adb. It's simple actually, so anyone reading this thread, you should take the time to learn the adb.

One nice thing about knowing the adb, is through the adb you can pull the bootanimation.zip, change it to your liking, and then push the new bootanimation.zip and viola... you now have a custom bootanimation.

Although some of you might not care, it's still important, IMHO, to learn the adb and terminal, dos prompt, or whatever you want to call it.

In addition to that, if anything were ever to happen to your phone, god forbid, I know that most of the highly experienced members who would be helping you would be asking you to do certain things in the adb at one point or another, and if you don't know what you're doing... it will make it that much more difficult.

Point is you're not truly LEARNING anything... you're simply having someone else do all the work for you, you're just doing what they say... which makes you the lazy root user. I know it might seem a bit intimidating, but all the information is on the web, and it's not that hard to learn, just take it bit by bit, and it's all free since Android is open source.

I'm not saying you guys should become full blown android developers or modifiers, but take the time to learn, thats all.

Reactions: Jerzyiroc

charlie hustle

Jul 27, 2010
Visit site
The thing is... a root user should be familiar with the interface. One of the reasons we root the phone is so that we can have customization over the phone, as well as use it's full potential. Understanding and learning the adb within a terminal is important. Root users should know the difference between the "adb" and a standard "terminal" as well as have a general knowledge of how to access the phone through a terminal and push/pull items. In addition to that... learning the adb is great because you can customize your phone much further, on your own, to your own liking, if youre able to work the adb. It's simple actually, so anyone reading this thread, you should take the time to learn the adb.

One nice thing about knowing the adb, is through the adb you can pull the bootanimation.zip, change it to your liking, and then push the new bootanimation.zip and viola... you now have a custom bootanimation.

Although some of you might not care, it's still important, IMHO, to learn the adb and terminal, dos prompt, or whatever you want to call it.

In addition to that, if anything were ever to happen to your phone, god forbid, I know that most of the highly experienced members who would be helping you would be asking you to do certain things in the adb at one point or another, and if you don't know what you're doing... it will make it that much more difficult.

Point is you're not truly LEARNING anything... you're simply having someone else do all the work for you, you're just doing what they say... which makes you the lazy root user. I know it might seem a bit intimidating, but all the information is on the web, and it's not that hard to learn, just take it bit by bit, and it's all free since Android is open source.

I'm not saying you guys should become full blown android developers or modifiers, but take the time to learn, thats all.

I do understand your point. But for me. i have taken linux class (for my IT admin degree). Got a 98 in it. I dont want to go back there. Some things i dont care about how to work. I just wanted to have access to Su permission and im good to go from there. Since im root now, and know how to flash roms, kernels via rom manager and recovery, thats all i need to know for now. If i need to read upon adb/shell commands then i will do it. But i hope i dont. Im just speaking for myself.

igotsanevo4g

Retired Moderator
Jul 31, 2010
Visit site
I do understand your point. But for me. i have taken linux class (for my IT admin degree). Got a 98 in it. I dont want to go back there. Some things i dont care about how to work. I just wanted to have access to Su permission and im good to go from there. Since im root now, and know how to flash roms, kernels via rom manager and recovery, thats all i need to know for now. If i need to read upon adb/shell commands then i will do it. But i hope i dont. Im just speaking for myself.

http://forum.androidcentral.com/hacking/18588-adb-basics-windows-only.html

There's a link if you want to sometime, its really not that hard to get the basics.

In fact it has became a great utility for me just in day to day from switching roms, i just push all the non-market stuff i need on there, restore with appbrain, and BAM. I'm up and running again.

No worries if you dont i suppose, you will learn it when you need it i guess.

charlie hustle

Jul 27, 2010
Visit site
what about app settings?? or do you just use titaium. Also whats the difference betwen using sdk and windows explorer. It seems to me WE is easier just to drag and drop.
Im going to play with the sdk, maybe today if i have time. i want to reformat my sd card and reflash myns new rom.

truslide

Aug 25, 2010
Visit site
what about app settings?? or do you just use titaium. Also whats the difference betwen using sdk and windows explorer. It seems to me WE is easier just to drag and drop.
Im going to play with the sdk, maybe today if i have time. i want to reformat my sd card and reflash myns new rom.

Dont want to answer your question incorrectly about the difference between sdk and windows explorer... but i can appreciate your other post. The fact that you know linux and are more than capable to quickly understand the adb and sdk then kudos. It means whatever you dont know wont take you long to learn. AND you have a background with computer "stuff".

I meant for anyone who doesnt have any background with linux, android OS, or anything like that... that traditional noob.