How do I change what the Search Key does?

steveymacjr

Jun 10, 2010
Visit site
Is there a way to change the search key to launch another program when on the home screen, and anywhere else?
Also, how can i change the functions that are available when I press and hold the search key?
I have a rooted EVO, but the ROM is stock..i just rooted it via unrevoked..
Thanks

Jerzyiroc

May 19, 2010
Visit site
The only way to change what the search key does it by recoding/remapping it. A lot of people with rooted TMo phones switch that Genius button crap to perform the tasks of the regular search. I don't know how far your coding knowledge goes, but from what I hear it can be a puta

Jerzyiroc

May 19, 2010
Visit site
Own'd but its okay :p

Apparently Im a professor now... lol

LOL owned indeed... I think because the Genius Button has to be recoded I assumed it was the same for the search key as well. I tried this on my girls and didn't work btw. But ya.. owned lol...

Android professor?! LOL Damn.. Never seen that one.

d3xn2o

Apr 20, 2010
Visit site
LOL owned indeed... I think because the Genius Button has to be recoded I assumed it was the same for the search key as well. I tried this on my girls and didn't work btw. But ya.. owned lol...

Android professor?! LOL Damn.. Never seen that one.

They Changed them all...

I think I have one of the Highest Port counts without having Rank on the sight :confused:

I wonder what the little progress bar is about

steveymacjr

Jun 10, 2010
Visit site
Ok i got this quick launch app and it allowed me to change the program that launches when you press and hold the search button..
is there no way to not have the Google search box appear when you just tap the search button on the home screen?

Jerzyiroc

May 19, 2010
Visit site
Ok i got this quick launch app and it allowed me to change the program that launches when you press and hold the search button..
is there no way to not have the Google search box appear when you just tap the search button on the home screen?

Maybe THATS what has to be recoded and not the long press hold? I don't wanna jump to conclusions again lol...