OTA 2.3 for my Rooted, but not ROM'ed, Evo?

project.in.process

May 18, 2010
Visit site
so i recently gave in to Rooting after much deliberation--
and i've yet to really dabble in any ROM's as of now--

so here's my question:

i rooted, via unRevoked3 (hold your comments, please--i'm aware of the negativity surrounding it) and haven't changed ROM's or anything--only downloaded some Root Only type of apps---
WHEN Gingerbread is released, and when Sprint pushes out Gingerbread to Evo's--will my device be able to receive the OTA update? or, will i need to download a 2.3 update from a developer and flash that ROM?

i'm uncertain how Rooting exactly allows/disallows OTA updates--so that's why i'm asking the Root Community

TehMan

Jul 14, 2010
www.facebook.com
so is this to say that

Sprint pushes 2.3 OTA> my Evo received notification, i accept> 2.3 is downloaded/installed>my device is then "unrooted"

?

that is the same problem everyone was having when 2.2 came out...people jumped the gun and accepted the OTA and lost their root they had with 2.1...all they had to do was wait for someone to build a 2.3 that worked

d3xn2o

Apr 20, 2010
Visit site
that is the same problem everyone was having when 2.2 came out...people jumped the gun and accepted the OTA and lost their root they had with 2.1...all they had to do was wait for someone to build a 2.3 that worked

Whats Funny is that it took less then a day for a Root Version to be released...

Patience

d3xn2o

Apr 20, 2010
Visit site
You know to kinda make our point a little stronger...

think of this... The SDK is out its sorta kinda maybe been ported to the EVO

and that is a Root Version

So Once it is released Im positive the way development has been for the Evo it will be Root within the same day

VDub2174

Moderator Captain
Trusted Member
Dec 28, 2009
Visit site
I was one of those people that jumped the gun with 2.2 and accepted the OTA. I learned my lesson after d3xn2o yelled at me :p

I'll wait for for the rooted version of 2.3 to come out.

Reactions: hal3146

d3xn2o

Apr 20, 2010
Visit site
I was one of those people that jumped the gun with 2.2 and accepted the OTA. I learned my lesson after d3xn2o yelled at me :p

I'll wait for for the rooted version of 2.3 to come out.

Yea maybe I did Yell... :cool:

OP Please do urself the favor and be patient

VDub2174

Moderator Captain
Trusted Member
Dec 28, 2009
Visit site
Yea maybe I did Yell... :cool:

You told me in stern letters not to update but I did and you followed that with an "I told you so" that I definintely deserved.....LOL

I did learn a lot from these threads and know now not to update until a rooted version comes out. I'm happy with my current ROM & kernel combo so I'm not about to lose it just because of an update :)

project.in.process

May 18, 2010
Visit site
OP Please do urself the favor and be patient

oh, i'm in no rush, per say, to jump into Gingerbread--i know it'll be a good bit of time before something stable even comes out of the Dev community.
i'm excited for it
but after having a Sam-Moment for nearly 6 months before getting an Evo, i'm still completely content with 2.2.

i was merely curious what the OTA could do/would do if i were to accept it.
as of yet, i've not really done any particular ROM's/Themes on the Evo, like i had done with the Moment. but that's another topic/thread.

Fletch75

Sep 14, 2010
Visit site
Same question really

Ok Basically I am lost and in the same area of questions. i have my htc evo 4G rooted and setup using it on Boost mobile. I never did any roms before but did root and upgrade to 2.2 froyo for root. I would like to go from stock rooted 2.2 to stock rooted 2.3 gingerbread is this possible and can someone point me to where to get it and maybe a how to? I had someone online help me when i first got the phone via remote session to set it up with boost and getting 2.2 on the phone so i have yet to do it. I know my phone constantly send me firmware and info update requests but even if you click ok it won't download them over the air it just gives an error message if you do same with htc software, firmwar, and whatever pri updates are. I don't want a rom as i like the setup just would like to update the 2.2 to stock ota 2.3 for rooted eveo. I have no idea about making a backup or nano whatever but I remember something about clockorange mod or something like that was put on the phone when we set it up. Right now here is what is on the phone

Android version 2.2
Baseband Version 2.15.00.07.28
kernel version 2.6.32.15-g746f4f0 htc-kernel@and18-2#58
Build number 3.26.651.6 cl218634 release-keys
Software number 3.26.651.6
Browser version webkit 3.1
PRI Version 1.40_003
PRL Version 60667

Hope this makes sense and someone can help a new guy like me to the root updates. Thanks for any help in advance.

JBGood

Jul 9, 2010
Visit site
I have a queation. I have 2.1 on a Unrevoked3 rooted phone. If I run OTA to 2.2 it will install and unroot my phone? If I do the OTA the only thing I will lose is my root, no other issues? Thanks, root thing is new to me, was on a Pre before and Homebrew was a lot more none techie friendly, lol.

TWC_SouthPhilly

Jun 6, 2010
Visit site
Ok Basically I am lost and in the same area of questions. i have my htc evo 4G rooted and setup using it on Boost mobile.

First things first... you need to do a bit more reading up my friend. And learn a bit more about what root is and how it all works here: http://forum.androidcentral.com/htc...e-if-you-want-root-rooted-have-questions.html

I never did any roms before but did root and upgrade to 2.2 froyo for root. I would like to go from stock rooted 2.2 to stock rooted 2.3 gingerbread is this possible and can someone point me to where to get it and maybe a how to?

The EVO hasn't been officially update to 2.3 yet. Its coming but not till after the EVO 3D is released. Now there are a few roms out there that are 2.3 GB. A couple of AOSP roms(MIUI & CM)and a few Sence roms(I think most are ports).

And It would have to be written to work with "Boost". And it would have to be a rom based off of 2.3.

I had someone online help me when i first got the phone via remote session to set it up with boost and getting 2.2 on the phone so i have yet to do it. I know my phone constantly send me firmware and info update requests but even if you click ok it won't download them over the air it just gives an error message if you do same with htc software, firmwar, and whatever pri updates are. I don't want a rom as i like the setup just would like to update the 2.2 to stock ota 2.3 for rooted eveo.

You may want to see if you can hook up with that person again. When you flash a phone to work with another carrier that it wasn't released on you change the whole game. I've never flashed a phone to work with another carrier so I can't really help you there. Sorry

I have no idea about making a backup or nano whatever but I remember something about clockorange mod or something like that was put on the phone when we set it up. Right now here is what is on the phone

Android version 2.2
Baseband Version 2.15.00.07.28
kernel version 2.6.32.15-g746f4f0 htc-kernel@and18-2#58
Build number 3.26.651.6 cl218634 release-keys
Software number 3.26.651.6
Browser version webkit 3.1
PRI Version 1.40_003
PRL Version 60667

Hope this makes sense and someone can help a new guy like me to the root updates. Thanks for any help in advance.

Again m8, you really need to read up on rooting and what its all about. See that link above.

Sent from my MIUI havin, Gingerbread Throwing EVO

TWC_SouthPhilly

Jun 6, 2010
Visit site
I have a queation. I have 2.1 on a Unrevoked3 rooted phone. If I run OTA to 2.2 it will install and unroot my phone? If I do the OTA the only thing I will lose is my root, no other issues? Thanks, root thing is new to me, was on a Pre before and Homebrew was a lot more none techie friendly, lol.

Yes if you do the OTA update you would lose root. Your apps, info and such would be ok.

If your looking to update to 2.2 and want to keep your root, you should check out "Sprints Lover Rom" over at XDA. Its basically a stock and rooted 2.2 rom with very little change in how it looks or runs. Its been cleaned up and optimized a bit to run a lot smoother. Here's the link: http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=830153

Sent from my MIUI havin, Gingerbread Throwing EVO