I'm at my wits end. Just switched from Palm Pre

a1hildeb

Dec 17, 2010
Visit site
I was able to root my Palm Pre and use tethering etc in the early days. I thought it would be easy now that I have switched to the Evo.....

I Just bought my Evo yesterday and I feel like a jacka** (probably because I am). I have spent countless hours looking at endless forums and youtube videos and topics on all the different ways to root your Evo. However, nothing seems to work for me and now I am afraid I can't "start over" so I can do it the right way. I've tried unrevoked, ive tried doing it "the old way" and I have tried reverting back to factory default but I don't think even that worked. I can go into details if necessary but I am hoping someone out there is willing to spend the time to tell me what the hell I'm not understanding. I even tried to flash PCmg file and it says error file is older or something along those lines. When I tried unrevoked through the pc or directly through the phone it doesn't say it finished and hangs or it says 'ahhh fargh it couldn't create the ******* marker' Please can someone break this stuff down for me. PLEASE HELP!!!

Last edited by a moderator:

a1hildeb

Dec 17, 2010
Visit site
SUPERSONIC EVT3 SHIP S-ON
HBOOT-2.10.0001
MICROP-041f
TOUCH PANEL-ATMELC03_16ac
RADIO-2.15.00.11.19
Oct 15 2010, 12:07:00

HBOOT

Main Version is older!
Update Fail

^That is what I get when I try getting anything back to normal by trying to push pcmgfile. I know all you asked for was hboot but I figure the more info the better....

a1hildeb

Dec 17, 2010
Visit site
I also hear that my HBOOT version may not be rootable yet but I am seeing otherwise per posting from a few other people on some forums.

a1hildeb

Dec 17, 2010
Visit site
Hmm so I must have not updated the correct HBOOT drivers like I thought when trying to root the other ways...I've downloaded so many different files and crap I forgot what I did. Even though I tried different ways of rooting it shouldn't be messed up to the point where these new options would fail right?

vlbaston

Sep 28, 2010
Visit site
No it wont be messed up, i would delete anything off my sdcard that may have downloaded during the process, restart phone other than that u shouldbe good to go, im downloading the hboot 202_210 file as we speak its slow, but u have to have it to work.

Reactions: a1hildeb

a1hildeb

Dec 17, 2010
Visit site
[ROOT][GUIDE] HBoot 2.02/2.10 S-OFF - Got the Game Upset Edition - Updated 12.16.10 - Page 120 - xda-developers

I tried that but I got an adb error when pushing it....and when I got to that part where I needed # I wasn't able to go back and start over......I'm still working on it as I originally had the SDK drivers installed but uninstalled them in attempts to get my phone back to square one. It then said to install HTC sync which now wont let me put the sdk drivers back on the device...i am uninstalling HTC and reinstalling SDK drivers onto my device as we speak.

Last edited:

a1hildeb

Dec 17, 2010
Visit site
C:\Windows\system32>cd c:\hroot

c:\hroot>adb push root/unrevoked-forever.zip /sdcard/
adb server is out of date. killing...
* daemon started successfully *
664 KB/s (223144 bytes in 0.328s)

c:\hroot>

That is what I get performing step 8 with either SDK drivers or HTC sync drivers. I can continue until step 18 where it kicks me out and I don't have #

I've tried several times and followed to a T. instead of # it kicks me back out to C:\hroot and won't recognize my device until i reboot and start over....and round and round I go....any advise?

Last edited:

a1hildeb

Dec 17, 2010
Visit site
Didn't work

I try the step Open Terminal Emulator and type ./data/local/tmp/rageagainstthecage
and it says not found. which is odd because the step right before it i push it

Last edited:

truslide

Aug 25, 2010
Visit site
well it's weird that it says download android terminal on the phone. It doesnt make sense why you would use the phone when your going to root it. You can do EVERYTHING from the adb terminal on the computer. after you push the files you can run them from the terminal, like in the 2.02 steps.

so what happens when you open the terminal on the phone and type the ./data/local/tmp/rageagainstthecage

a1hildeb

Dec 17, 2010
Visit site
well it's weird that it says download android terminal on the phone. It doesnt make sense why you would use the phone when your going to root it. You can do EVERYTHING from the adb terminal on the computer. after you push the files you can run them from the terminal, like in the 2.02 steps.

so what happens when you open the terminal on the phone and type the ./data/local/tmp/rageagainstthecage

Look at my last post I edited it. Basically I try the step Open Terminal Emulator and type ./data/local/tmp/rageagainstthecage
and it says not found. which is odd because the step right before it i push it

and if i try it using my desktop i can never get # and then i have to reboot my phone and start over

a1hildeb

Dec 17, 2010
Visit site
HMM, i have 2.02hboot and that method worked, i did have problems but that was human err. maybe spelling?

Well, when i do it on the desktop i copy and paste....if you are talking when i input in the emulator on the phone I suppose I can try it again but I have done it so many times I can't imagine I fat fingered something every time. I am starting to think I jacked something up on my sdcard or something when I was trying other ways to root like using unrevoke etc. I saw in another forum that someone said to format the SD card. That makes me nervous.

a1hildeb

Dec 17, 2010
Visit site
holy crap i took out the '.' when typing the command ./data/local/tmp/rageagainstthecage in the emulator and it worked. *face palm* ..................................

lol now when i run the command ./data/local/flash_image misc /sdcard/mtd-eng.img it gives me a bunch of write errors (out of memory) No space left on device. WTH? my device nor my sdcard should be full. only thing i put on it was the files and a back up from my backup pro. do i need to format the SD card? If so, i realize i won't have my back up files anymore....will rooting erase everything on my device as well? I can't remember which rooting process does what

Last edited:

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Chelsea rae