12-21-2010 05:06 PM
42 12
tools
    I've been rooted for sometime now... I'm not very knowledgeable about a lot of the terms you guys speak about. The good thing is that I'm not ignorant either so I will work to learn whatever you throw at me.

My question starts like this..

I rooted my evo using unevoked3 method.

Through my travels and trying to learn more about rooting it seems that this isn't the best way of rooting. My question is how to I get ride of it, correctly. Then root my phone the best possible way?

If there is an article already a topic for this I apologize. Please just point me in the correct direction.
    12-20-2010 10:00 AM
    If you're on a older hboot version (you can check this by powering down your phone, then holding the volume down button and the power button at the same time, hold it until the screen turns on) you can root using the above stickies, it's a fun process if you have the time and want to learn.

I believe you can run a RUU to get rid of unrevoked but I'm not sure which one or how that really works, as I've never done it before.
    tuna83 likes this.
    12-20-2010 10:03 AM
    hboot- 0.97.0000
    12-20-2010 10:29 AM
    hboot- 0.97.0000
    Awesome, you're in luck and you can just follow the rooting guide sticky on this forum.
    12-20-2010 10:49 AM
    Okay, but I got to get to that step first. I'm sure its no big deal to you but I'll breath deeply until I can use my phone again haha!

Now, using the latest RUU I'll have this latest update for the evo? The December one?

Once I have that then I can root the correct way?
    12-20-2010 05:09 PM
    Okay, but I got to get to that step first. I'm sure its no big deal to you but I'll breath deeply until I can use my phone again haha!

Now, using the latest RUU I'll have this latest update for the evo? The December one?

Once I have that then I can root the correct way?
    No, don't use the latest RUU, as it will install an as of now unbreakable hboot.

what software is your phone using right now?
    12-20-2010 05:16 PM
    It doesnt matter, he can load any RUU because is he rooted with S-off.

Run the 1.47 RUU if you can then use simple root, or run the 3.26 RUU and use the sticky.
    12-20-2010 06:25 PM
    It doesnt matter, he can load any RUU because is he rooted with S-off.

Run the 1.47 RUU if you can then use simple root, or run the 3.26 RUU and use the sticky.
    I'd stay away from anything with hboot 2.02 and especially 2.10 - 2.10 seems bullet proof and even with s-off I can't flash over it. Not like it's a big deal if you always go with unrevoked to get s-off but to get it with the engineering bootloader is almost impossible at this point. The space is just unwritable now (via bootloader flash, recovery flash or fastboot flash).

Those RUUs are fine just don't do any OTA updates.
    12-20-2010 08:38 PM
    I'd stay away from anything with hboot 2.02 and especially 2.10 - 2.10 seems bullet proof and even with s-off I can't flash over it. Not like it's a big deal if you always go with unrevoked to get s-off but to get it with the engineering bootloader is almost impossible at this point. The space is just unwritable now (via bootloader flash, recovery flash or fastboot flash).

The engineering isnt needed unless your going to do extensive developing and need extended fastboot commands. I have it just because it was easy to nab back in the day when it was needed for CM6.

If the bootloader is rooted, and S-off'ed then most folks should be fine. No?
    12-20-2010 09:11 PM
    The engineering isnt needed unless your going to do extensive developing and need extended fastboot commands. I have it just because it was easy to nab back in the day when it was needed for CM6.

If the bootloader is rooted, and S-off'ed then most folks should be fine. No?
    Yeah for sure, I just like having the option of a non unrevoked root method.
    12-20-2010 09:27 PM
    Android: 2.2

Baseband: 2.15.00.09.01

Kernal: 2.6.32.15-ge2fb08e htc-kernel@and18-2 #11

Build Number: 3.29.651.5. CL252548 release-keys

software: 3.29.651.5

I'm sure you dont' need all fo that but I didn't fully understand what it was exactly you needed.

Okay, so use an RUU but don't do the latest one because of the latest upboot?

So which would you go with? I would like the latest update, with swype integrated and such but I also want to remain rooted.

Is a root a root? Is it jsut a method of turning S off? If so great, but then when people are asking all these questiosn because of the one click methods.. Is it because they (my self included) just don't understand what they are doing? Or is this method of rooting a a lesser of a way of doing it?
    12-21-2010 12:40 PM
    Android: 2.2

Baseband: 2.15.00.09.01

Kernal: 2.6.32.15-ge2fb08e htc-kernel@and18-2 #11

Build Number: 3.29.651.5. CL252548 release-keys

software: 3.29.651.5

I'm sure you dont' need all fo that but I didn't fully understand what it was exactly you needed.

Okay, so use an RUU but don't do the latest one because of the latest upboot?

So which would you go with? I would like the latest update, with swype integrated and such but I also want to remain rooted.

Is a root a root? Is it jsut a method of turning S off? If so great, but then when people are asking all these questiosn because of the one click methods.. Is it because they (my self included) just don't understand what they are doing? Or is this method of rooting a a lesser of a way of doing it?
    Do you still want to re-root to do it another way or just want to get to the latest OTA while keeping root?
    12-21-2010 12:48 PM
    So , I can keep my current hboot? Then flash to the latest htc set up?

Would that be a better idea than the RUU which vs the flash would allow me to keep the easier to get along with hboot?

Did what I say make any sense? If so thats a start. Haha.
    12-21-2010 12:55 PM
    I want to keep the root and get the latest ota.
    12-21-2010 12:56 PM
    I want to keep the root and get the latest ota.
    Easy enough then.

Just download ROM Manager, create a backup of what you have now, just in case, and then get this zip file: [ROM] RUU SuperSonic EvO 3.70.651.1 OTA - Stock - Sense - Deodexed & Odexed Version - xda-developers and put it on your sd-card, then go to rom manager and pick install zip from sd card, browse to it, hit "wipe data & cache" and it will install for you.
    12-21-2010 01:03 PM

I rooted Hboot 2.10 this morning no problem.

[ROOT][GUIDE] HBoot 2.02/2.10 SOFF - No Practice All Game Edition - Upd. 12.21.10 - xda-developers
    12-21-2010 01:11 PM
    Easy enough then.

Just download ROM Manager, create a backup of what you have now, just in case, and then get this zip file: [ROM] RUU SuperSonic EvO 3.70.651.1 OTA - Stock - Sense - Deodexed & Odexed Version - xda-developers and put it on your sd-card, then go to rom manager and pick install zip from sd card, browse to it, hit "wipe data & cache" and it will install for you.

I did exactly that, which brought me to the white, evo on skateboards screen. Which should I select?
    12-21-2010 02:59 PM
    I did exactly that, which brought me to the white, evo on skateboards screen. Which should I select?
    So after you hit install in rom manager, it rebooted your phone and brought you here? Or did it flash the zip and then reboot and bring you here?
    12-21-2010 03:02 PM
    nope didnt' flash... I pulled the battery and am going to try her again
    12-21-2010 03:08 PM
    did it again, from the research I gather this does not seem right. hmmmm.. I have it plugged into my pc. Could that be causing any of this? Just brings me to the skateboard menu. Quickly, in about eh, 5-10 seconds.
    12-21-2010 03:12 PM
    did it again, from the research I gather this does not seem right. hmmmm.. I have it plugged into my pc. Could that be causing any of this? Just brings me to the skateboard menu. Quickly, in about eh, 5-10 seconds.
    ok, what happens if you just hit reboot on that menu? also, at the top does it say s-off?
    12-21-2010 03:14 PM
    The top is s-off.

I can hit reboot.
    12-21-2010 03:18 PM
    just reboots.. hheheh..
    12-21-2010 03:19 PM
    The top is s-off.

I can hit reboot.
    select bootloader then reboot.
    12-21-2010 03:19 PM
    just reboots.. hheheh..
    back to where it was or in to the rom?