May have bricked it! :(

EyeizMarzi

Dec 20, 2010
Visit site
So I was in the middle of rooting my phone...and after unzipping the pc36img file, I select no to reboot and then select recovery....I've now been stuck at my white HTC screen for 10 minutes............

2CupsWithString

passionately curious
Jun 1, 2010
Visit site
So I was in the middle of rooting my phone...and after unzipping the pc36img file, I select no to reboot and then select recovery....I've now been stuck at my white HTC screen for 10 minutes............

You don't unzip the PC36IMG.zip file, the phone uses that as a zip file.

What root method were/are you using?

edit: also don't worry, these phones are extremely hard to brick. right now it looks like your phone is looking for a recovery that isn't there.

2CupsWithString

passionately curious
Jun 1, 2010
Visit site
Alright, so something happened with the flash of the pc36img.zip file it looks like it didn't flash the stock recovery or something got corrupted.

Power down your phone (battery pull) and restart it by pressing vol down and power at the same time until the fastboot screen comes up. then select bootloader, it will can the file and hit volume up to do the update and tell me what it skips/bypasses.

LikeAChampion3

May 17, 2010
Visit site
I had the same problem this morning using the below root method.
[ROOT][GUIDE] HBoot 2.02/2.10 SOFF - No Practice All Game Edition - Upd. 12.21.10 - xda-developers

I did a search within that thread and saw that doing a battery pull would fix it. I tried it and it worked like a charm.

PLEASE NOTE THAT DOING A BATTERY PULL DURING THE ROOT PROCESS IS USUALLY A BIG NO-NO (OR SO I READ). I TAKE NO RESPONSIBILITY WHATSOEVER IF THIS HARMS YOUR PHONE. I OFFER THIS ADVICE BECAUSE IT WORKED FOR ME.

EyeizMarzi

Dec 20, 2010
Visit site
K. So it worked. Battery pulled. Rebooted phone. Started up. I have a clean, 2.1 phone looking super stock.....and I have lost all 400 something contacts on my phone. :(

2CupsWithString

passionately curious
Jun 1, 2010
Visit site
I had the same problem this morning using the below root method.
[ROOT][GUIDE] HBoot 2.02/2.10 SOFF - No Practice All Game Edition - Upd. 12.21.10 - xda-developers

I did a search within that thread and saw that doing a battery pull would fix it. I tried it and it worked like a charm.

PLEASE NOTE THAT DOING A BATTERY PULL DURING THE ROOT PROCESS IS USUALLY A BIG NO-NO (OR SO I READ). I TAKE NO RESPONSIBILITY WHATSOEVER IF THIS HARMS YOUR PHONE. I OFFER THIS ADVICE BECAUSE IT WORKED FOR ME.

Did you re-flash the pc36img file or just skip the update and go right to recovery after you came back up?

2CupsWithString

passionately curious
Jun 1, 2010
Visit site
K. So it worked. Battery pulled. Rebooted phone. Started up. I have a clean, 2.1 phone looking super stock.....and I have lost all 400 something contacts on my phone. :(

Alright, that's good but you need to reboot with vol down & power button to see where your phone is at.

You don't want to go running around without a recovery on your phone and s-on.

Last edited:

2CupsWithString

passionately curious
Jun 1, 2010
Visit site
It may only be around 75 percent of my contacts that I had this morning but its better than nothing.

Yeah for sure, don't sweat it now if you're only on a 2.1 version of android though and I highly suggest bringing them in to google contacts, especially if you're going to get in to rom flashing and stuff.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
pierre5463