Temporary Root For Evo runnning Froyo

vertigosrs

Dec 23, 2010
Visit site
Hello I was wondering if anyone has found an app that will allow a temporary root? I know z4root would work on non-HTC devices and the Visionary app works on the desire, but does anyone know if it works on the evo or know of a similar app? I'm mainly wanting to do a temp root to run wireless tether instead of permanently rooting the device. I know with a temp root, I would have to re-run the app every reboot, but that's fine. Thanks for any info!

Jerzyiroc

May 19, 2010
Visit site
Z4Root temp root works on the Evo. I've been using it myself the last couple of days actually. I'm getting my replacement Evo tomorrow so I've been using Z4root so I can tether and use my CR-48 in the meantime.

vertigosrs

Dec 23, 2010
Visit site
See I was looking at that, but I've come across some websites that say it does and some that say it doesn't, that's why I was asking. Does it still work after the recent update? Thanks for responding, I think I'm gonna try it! :)

vertigosrs

Dec 23, 2010
Visit site
Awesome! Today is my first day looking into rooting and I'd like to start with a temp root to run titan backup, remove the bloatware and just occasionally use the wireless tether. Temp root should give me an easy way to do this stuff without voiding the warranty or anything from a true root if I'm understanding everything correctly.

dchamero

Apr 12, 2010
Visit site
I am rooted, so I don't need it for myself, but I loaded z4root in a friend's evo, it runs fine, but the wireless tether app does not work.... Which version of the wireless tether are you using?

joe1blue

Dec 6, 2010
Visit site
i have the evo and I got the zroot on my phone, for some strange reason when i had it downloaded and tried to use the tethering app it didnt work then last night I gave it a shot and it was working :D

ss7seven

Dec 14, 2010
Visit site
I have z4root installed and have temp root (hw 0004, 3.70 and hboot 2.10).
Question that I have is, I do not have access to a computer that I can run the adb commands from (gov comp, locked down). I have the hboot_202_210_soff-V82.zip on my sd card, also have rom manager installed and clockwordmod recovery installed correctly, Can I select install rom from and sd card and run the above zip and be rooted?

Or what steps do I need to follow to run this from my phone? or jsut wait until unrevoked comes out with an OTA for specs?

2CupsWithString

passionately curious
Jun 1, 2010
Visit site
I have z4root installed and have temp root (hw 0004, 3.70 and hboot 2.10).
Question that I have is, I do not have access to a computer that I can run the adb commands from (gov comp, locked down). I have the hboot_202_210_soff-V82.zip on my sd card, also have rom manager installed and clockwordmod recovery installed correctly, Can I select install rom from and sd card and run the above zip and be rooted?

Or what steps do I need to follow to run this from my phone? or jsut wait until unrevoked comes out with an OTA for specs?

You have to use that file with this method: [ROOT][GUIDE] HBoot 2.02/2.10 SOFF - Root! The Final Frontier Edition - Upd. 12.21.10 - xda-developers & welcome to AC!

I keep trying to run the z4 root on my phone, but all it seems to do is reboot the phone.

You need to install z4 version 1.3, the older version won't work. The right version has a menu that says "temporary root" and "perm root" - you have to use temporary.

isosunrise

Jun 26, 2010
Visit site
I have an EVO 2.2 3.70.651.1, tried z4root 1.3 temp root, and wireless tether 206 and 205, but nothing is working. z4root reports temp root sucessful, but in terminal SU indicates that it is not rooted. Neither of the latest wireless tether seem to work; it thinks it is not rooted. App Superuser does appear to be installed. Anyone can get the combo z4root/wireless tether to work on the latest build?

campanth

May 19, 2010
Visit site
@isosunrise

I have an EVO with the same configurations and am having the exact same issues you are having. I have also tried Barnacle wifi tether with the same results. Hoping that someone has a fix.

mile140

Jan 19, 2011
Visit site
So would this temporary root allow me to modify my hosts file and have that change be a permanent change (ie- i don't want to be temporary root every time i boot, but i want my changed hosts file to be used all the time.

thanks !!

badday17

Jan 19, 2011
Visit site
How do i install z4root.apk to my evo? am new at this and i have the EVO with the same configurations so i would like to see what mine will do... Thanks

Ok so I figured how to install z4root and the wireless tethering but no go. Am in the same boat…

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
fallingOutOfLoveWfithTech