Evo for dummies, rooting and wireless tether ?'s

hbwright

Aug 10, 2010
Visit site
I'm starting a new thread rather than looking through old because quite frankly the old scare me, especially after the newest update. I DID update my phone for lack of realizing that in a day or 2 I would consider rooting.

What I want is wireless tether and will not pay 30.00 a month after already paying family plan and 2 extra lines. I think 4 lines is enough to pay for. BUT, both of my daughters have ipod touches that they still use often and it would be nice for them to be able to use my access to connect when needed.

I understand that rooting is needed for this to happen but I'm lost on all the different rooting options. What is the easiest option that allows for wireless tethering with the latest update? The only thing I care about with the update is swype and I have the beta that I could go back to if I need to delete or go back to the old whatchamacallit before the update.

prittyboy203

Nov 6, 2010
Visit site
You can use the cheat route by just using z4root and use the temporary root it will go away if you reboot your phone or turn it off bit its the super lazy easy non scary way to gain root access to the apps you want without doing crazy amount of reading or damage you can get the app z4root then go and download on of the tether app or file you need to start tethering till you can tether no more lol just look around I know there is a loop hole to getting a tether that uses less battery and there is just a plain old root tether app somewhere you could deff find hope that lessons your scaredness cuz I'm still reading on root and if you just want the one little hack and nothing really else then just do this way safer

Sent from my PC36100 using Tapatalk

Lord Vader

Oct 14, 2010
Visit site
You can use the cheat route by just using z4root and use the temporary root it will go away if you reboot your phone or turn it off bit its the super lazy easy non scary way to gain root access to the apps you want without doing crazy amount of reading or damage you can get the app z4root then go and download on of the tether app or file you need to start tethering till you can tether no more lol just look around I know there is a loop hole to getting a tether that uses less battery and there is just a plain old root tether app somewhere you could deff find hope that lessons your scaredness cuz I'm still reading on root and if you just want the one little hack and nothing really else then just do this way safer

Sent from my PC36100 using Tapatalk

Your posts on this forum are extremely difficult to read and to understand. This one, for example, is one long run-on sentence filled with improperly used words. Granted, this is the Internet and we're not grammar police here, but in all honesty, your writing is seriously lacking. :)

Last edited:

project.in.process

May 18, 2010
Visit site
i recently rooted using the unRevoked option.
alot of people don't like it b/c its the cheap/easy way to root, and depending on which option you choose, it won't give you Full root. but for my purposes, it worked fine.
then i found z4root.
like the previous poster stated, it "temporarily" roots your phone until you turn the phone off--then it returns to an unrooted state.

so, i unrooted my phone using the Thread "how to unroot and return to stock", then installed z4root, and also installed the WirelessTethering app found on google code pages, and it works fine.

benefit of this method: in case your phone is malfunctioning, turn it off--turn it back on=take it to the sprint store b/c its not rooted.
If you permenantly root--then you have to go through several steps with a computer to return the phone to "warranty" available state.

remember--if you root, you void your warranty. that's contingent on the tech @ the sprint store being able to see that you have SuperUser permissions on your phone and any different type of Kernel running...by using z4root, you lessen this possibility because you will have restarted the phone before taking it into the store.

for my purposes, this is best. some people like permenant root, but with how i somehow figure out the way to break the simplest electronic, i like this fail-safe. you may want to consider the same if you're not particularly knowledgeable about hBoot and how to navigate folders on your phone and adb shell

Last edited:

delao13

Dec 13, 2010
Visit site
If you install WirelessTethering while temporarily rooted through Z4, what happens to it when you reboot? Does WirelessTethering simply stop working? Does it disappear? Does it work perfectly well the next time you temporarily root again through Z4?

I'm guessing it would be a bad idea to use Z4 to install a custom ROM. What happens to the custom ROM when you reboot?

Jerzyiroc

May 19, 2010
Visit site
If you install WirelessTethering while temporarily rooted through Z4, what happens to it when you reboot? Does WirelessTethering simply stop working? Does it disappear? Does it work perfectly well the next time you temporarily root again through Z4?

I'm guessing it would be a bad idea to use Z4 to install a custom ROM. What happens to the custom ROM when you reboot?

The app wont disappear when you reboot, it just wont work. It wont work because it wont have the "Superuser" access anymore needed to root. When using z4root you can't install custom ROMs. If you just want access to free wifi tether the best option is z4root

And pritiyboy, i'm really not trying to be a jerk at all (seriously I'm really not).. but you gotta start at least using periods at the end of the sentences. spelling and everything else doesn't matter, this is the internet. but you have to at least use periods otherwise it's extremely hard and annoying trying to figure out what you're trying to say.

Jerzyiroc

May 19, 2010
Visit site
Well, it matters a little, mainly when coupled with no punctuation like the aforementioned poster. ;)

personally i dont care if people spell bad on purpose or whatever... at the very least it's usually a good laugh lol. but you're right, with no punctuation it's a mess lol. he actually had some good input in that post too.

mankows5

Dec 30, 2010
Visit site
hey guys i have been nervous about rooting but I really miss tethering I just got the phone and Not 1000 percent sure Im going to keep it but i had a few questions about the z4root will this allow me to use wifi hotspot and just tether with one computer also it seems i need a different app to use this what is a good app to use and finally i have searched far and wide and i can not find an easy step by step process for this z4root or when to find it

JP.

Now for real .

hey guys i have been nervous about rooting but I really miss tethering. I just got the phone and Not 1000 percent sure Im going to keep it but i had a few questions about the z4root. will this allow me to use wifi hotspot or just tether with one computer? Also it seems i need a different app to tether; what is a good app to use? And finally i have searched far and wide and i can not find an easy step by step process for this z4root or wheere to find it. Im trying to see how easy it is since it is just termporary.

Thanks

Last edited:

Ronald

May 12, 2010
Visit site
No WiFi love with z4root

My Evo has Froyo, software version 3.70.651.1, hardware version 0003, and hboot 2.10.0001.

I am very hesitant to do a full root, since all I really want to do is wireless tethering.

I have installed z4root 1.3.0 and the wireless tether 2.0.6 .apk.

z4root appears to run successfully and says that I am temporarily rooted.

When I run Wireless Tether I receive the following error message "Not Root! Sorry, but your kernel does not have all necessary features for running this application."

If I press the ignore button, it says that the "Binaries and config-files installed!" However, when I press the icon to start tethering, it says "Unable to start tethering. Is your device 'rooted'?"

I have rebooted the phone to make sure that the installation was not an issue. In Wireless Tether I have also gone to Menu => Settings => Menu => (Re)-Install binaries/configs.

None of this has worked. What am I missing? Any advice will be greatly appreciated.

Ron

2CupsWithString

passionately curious
Jun 1, 2010
Visit site
My Evo has Froyo, software version 3.70.651.1, hardware version 0003, and hboot 2.10.0001.

I am very hesitant to do a full root, since all I really want to do is wireless tethering.

I have installed z4root 1.3.0 and the wireless tether 2.0.6 .apk.

z4root appears to run successfully and says that I am temporarily rooted.

When I run Wireless Tether I receive the following error message "Not Root! Sorry, but your kernel does not have all necessary features for running this application."

If I press the ignore button, it says that the "Binaries and config-files installed!" However, when I press the icon to start tethering, it says "Unable to start tethering. Is your device 'rooted'?"

I have rebooted the phone to make sure that the installation was not an issue. In Wireless Tether I have also gone to Menu => Settings => Menu => (Re)-Install binaries/configs.

None of this has worked. What am I missing? Any advice will be greatly appreciated.

Ron

Hm, this is strange, I've been able to achieve temp root with the latest z4root apk.

Do you have any other apps on that could be interfering with the process?

I'm not sure how z4root works but do you have flash installed? I know some hacks use a flash overflow to grab root.

Ronald

May 12, 2010
Visit site
What version of zRoot are you using?

Additionally, from what I have read, zRoot 1.0.3 does not play well with the latest OTA update (which I installed), which updates the phone to the versions in my OP. Do you have the latest OTA installed?

Finally, yes, I have the latest version of flash installed (I have it set to automatically update). I have no idea of what, if any, other programs could be interfering with zRoot. I will leave it to others, with more Android sophistication, to figure it out -- I sure cannot.

Thanks again.

2CupsWithString

passionately curious
Jun 1, 2010
Visit site
Ronald, I had to use z4root on hboot 2.10, software 3.7 and hw003 to gain temp root access to completely root my phone which I believe is exactly what your phone is.

The z4root version I used was 1.3 and I only ever selected temporary root.

I have attached it here.

Make sure install apps from unknown sources is checked as well as usb debugging.

Reactions: Ronald

Klubhead

Jul 25, 2010
Visit site
before doing a full root, i tried z4root multiple times to no avail.. the root would never go through.. everything would look like it worked but when all was said and done it was still a no-go..

isosunrise

Jun 26, 2010
Visit site
Ronald, I am having the exact same problem as you. All hardware and software versions are exactly the same as yours. Did you ever find a fix or workaround?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Junkie XL