Running Evervolv Gingerbread ROM

jnl813

Jun 21, 2010
Visit site
I am running the latest ( not stable ) Evokings Rom using Evervolv GB 2.3, although i came across one problem... everything works ( except 4G and camcorder ) but when I tried to access Wifi, I get no connection. I was told to simple switch to another Kernel to get this to work. This is where I am stuck, how the heck do I replace the kernel? I installed and have installed ROM through my phone so dont tell me this cant be done. How in the heck do i flash a different kernel? do I go into recovery mode? Please help and sorry I am still kind of new to this...

2CupsWithString

passionately curious
Jun 1, 2010
Visit site
Hey Jesse, you flash a kernel by going in to recovery and installing zip from the sd card. Just like a rom except you don't wipe everything first.

jnl813

Jun 21, 2010
Visit site
So by me flashing that kernel it automatically replaces the other one? And once i install it, do i simply reboot?

d3xn2o

Apr 20, 2010
Visit site
Flashing a Kernel is Much the same as Flashing a Rom... Just dont Wipe Data... Then ur screwed...

But yes if you flash a Kernel it replaces the one on there...

jnl813

Jun 21, 2010
Visit site
ok so I went to Rom MAnager, chose recovery Mode, found the kernel, installed...now the phone is doing its thing.. now it says done, do I just go back now and chose reboot system now?

jnl813

Jun 21, 2010
Visit site
Hey D3X i was using MYn warm 2.2 before but left that and CM6.1 due to me having to reconnect wifi by turning it off and on or else it wouldnt recongnize my network, is there something you can suggest? I loved those ROMS but I use Wifi A LOT so I gave up on that, it got annoying.

ChadH42

Jul 19, 2010
Visit site
so flashing the kernel is exactly the same as flashing the ROM but simply a different file name & don't wipe data??

2CupsWithString

passionately curious
Jun 1, 2010
Visit site
Hey D3X i was using MYn warm 2.2 before but left that and CM6.1 due to me having to reconnect wifi by turning it off and on or else it wouldnt recongnize my network, is there something you can suggest? I loved those ROMS but I use Wifi A LOT so I gave up on that, it got annoying.

To fix this just go to wireless & networks in settings, then hit menu, go to advanced, set the sleep policy to never.

Reactions: jnl813

jnl813

Jun 21, 2010
Visit site
Seriously? thats it? Are you kidding me? LOL Thanks Fred-gave you thanks as well. Oh by the way Fred, what would you say is the best way to get themes for CM or MYN? just Google it? or XDA Page?

jnl813

Jun 21, 2010
Visit site
Correct, just download the kernel into your phone ( you can do all this through your phone) Install Rom Manager if you dont have it. go to RM, go into recovery ( top 2nd option in the app ) let the phone reboot into recovery, then go to your downloads ( using the volume buttons up and down) find the kernel you downlaoded, choose it with the power button, then install it..let it do its thing... then simply go to reboot device.Done!

2CupsWithString

passionately curious
Jun 1, 2010
Visit site
Fred if I want to install a different boot animation, is it the same as installing a kernel?

It depends, sometimes you just have to copy a file over after you mount the system directory as read/write, or sometimes if the person who made the animation created zip then you just flash the zip in recovery.

Reactions: jnl813

jnl813

Jun 21, 2010
Visit site
Yes it is, after rooting, its really amazing how just installing a new ROM can make it feel like a whole new device, which brings me to my next level of rooting knowledge.. since you got me into all this cool stuff. I tend to switch ROMS pretty often ( every 3 or 4 days ) while i do back up my Roms with Rom Manager, is there anything out there that would help me restore all my apps and stuff without me having to go to the Market and reisntalling everything I once had? Like for example I want to try out a new ROM that is not in my list of back up roms in RM, is there anything i can do to make sure that after or during the installment of the new rom I dont have to literally restore everything one by one?

I heard of Titanium backup, and I got it from the market, but its not very user friendly in my opinion, I dont have a clue on how to back up or better yet how to use it.

2CupsWithString

passionately curious
Jun 1, 2010
Visit site
Yes it is, after rooting, its really amazing how just installing a new ROM can make it feel like a whole new device, which brings me to my next level of rooting knowledge.. since you got me into all this cool stuff. I tend to switch ROMS pretty often ( every 3 or 4 days ) while i do back up my Roms with Rom Manager, is there anything out there that would help me restore all my apps and stuff without me having to go to the Market and reisntalling everything I once had? Like for example I want to try out a new ROM that is not in my list of back up roms in RM, is there anything i can do to make sure that after or during the installment of the new rom I dont have to literally restore everything one by one?

I heard of Titanium backup, and I got it from the market, but its not very user friendly in my opinion, I dont have a clue on how to back up or better yet how to use it.

Titanium Backup is key, make sure you're going to menu and batch to do your backups & restores in batch mode (so you don't have to hit OK every time), I think this is a feature of the pay version - which is well worth it IMO. It saves apps and their data, so you can get back your levels in angry birds, etc. between ROMs.

jnl813

Jun 21, 2010
Visit site
Awesome! i knew it was good for something. I will try right away, also i am now trying out that Bliss you mentioned, it looks like what would happen if Cm and MYN had a baby! By the way i keep getting this google.gapps message when trying to open my gmail, and sync my contacts, any suggestions?