I was running a Netarchy SBC kernel and my phone was acting odd yesterday. It took almost all day for it to charge up to 100%. Then today, I had it charging because it died over night, while it was charging it was fine. I went to use my phone and noticed it was off. Plugged in to the USB port, the LED wasn't lit. Tried to unplug it, pull the battery, plug it back in, nothing. The most I got was a quick flash of a black lit screen. I'm at a complete loss, I have no idea what to do other than get a new battery.

Anyone else have any issue at all with the SBC or notice anything unusual with it?
    01-02-2011 06:54 PM
    I am testing out some SBC kernels today and I am a little weary about them. I used Netarchy and it hasn't been doing what its supposed to. My phone was heating up and dropped from 100% to 52% after 15 text messages, 5 minutes of browsing, and a 20 minute call. I am trying SBC HTC kernel 15 and if the problem with overheating continues, I will just go back to stock. It's not worth the headache.
    01-02-2011 07:07 PM
    It's been about 12 hours and my phone still won't charge, turn on, and the LED isn't responsive when the USB cable is plugged in. I'm going to a sprint retailer to try and get another battery for free on a swap. They should do it since the phone is under a year.
    01-03-2011 02:47 AM
    It's been about 12 hours and my phone still won't charge, turn on, and the LED isn't responsive when the USB cable is plugged in. I'm going to a sprint retailer to try and get another battery for free on a swap. They should do it since the phone is under a year.
    As long as there is no water damage.

I've been using sbc and no problems yet. I have a spare battery, otherwise idk if id risk frying the only one I got.
    01-03-2011 03:40 AM
    man i didn't even see it coming. i thought all was well, then the battery started acting very unusual, then it just died. I'm going today to get a new one, so i'll let you guys know if it was in fact the battery or not. I'll try to pull the battery log when the phone boots back up. hopefully it's still there.
    01-03-2011 04:35 AM
    My phone was acting weird with this Kernel Also... Overheating and such...

I caught it early and flashed Stock

I've been good since... Something Def Funky with the Kernel
    01-03-2011 07:21 AM
    The only weird thing about the SBC concept is that it wasn't used earlier. I charge to 100% and it stays there for over 3 hours of light use. That's with the HTC #15 stock kernel with SBC added.
    01-03-2011 09:27 AM
    I have had the SBC-Net 4.2.2 v7 for about 10 days now with NO issues whatsoever. My battery life is amazing. Maybe something else caused your phone to stop functioning correctly. Did your phone overheat?
    01-03-2011 10:06 AM
    I havent noticed anything detrimental, but have noticed my phone heating up a bit lately on and off. One of the times I noticed this by battery died quick and heated up good because an email was stuck at sending for a few hours.
    Since I shut off overclocking on Set CPU it seems to be much better now though.
    For the record I never had this happen with Set CPU before so I cannot blame this.
    The kernal otherwise works well. deffinately see the difference on how the battery drops now on that first 10% or so. On different kernals I would literally drop a few percent within a minute or two off the charger
    01-03-2011 01:08 PM
    I have had the SBC-Net 4.2.2 v7 for about 10 days now with NO issues whatsoever. My battery life is amazing. Maybe something else caused your phone to stop functioning correctly. Did your phone overheat?
    Same one that i used. I'm sure that the no trickle charge SBC kernels are ok. I'm 99% positive that the trickle charge is what killed the battery. The battery did over heat and like I said, the prior day it took forever to charge, then took a dump. I took it to radio shack and the guy tested the battery with something that looked like an ohmeter. He said the battery was fully charged, but it just wasnt responding.

Like it said in the developers thread... flash at your own risk. I'm just giving a PSA about my experience to warn fellow users. It was a nightmare finding another battery short notice. I ended up buying the 3000mAh for $50 at Sprint and flashed back to Netarchy 4.1.9 havs. I had great experience with that kernel so I'll stick to it...
    01-03-2011 06:52 PM
    Son of a *****. I think this just happened to me!

My battery was great for the week or so that I was on the SBC kernel and then yesterday I thought it was charging slowly and dropping too fast. I did a reboot this morning when it dropped 25% with no use in 3 hours, plugged it into the USB, and was using it sparingly. Just a little bit ago I noticed that the charge light was off and now I can't turn the phone on or charge it. I have tried multiple USB cables and AC plug ins, nothing does anything to it. No charging, nothing.

I just got my hands on my wife's Evo and switched batteries and sure enough, her battery works just fine in my phone. Going back to the stock HTC kernel for 3.7. Note that I checked the battery stats and my System Panel app for usage history and nothing is out of the ordiary. I went from about 30% charge to ZERO instantly while it was plugged in!

Anything else that I should check just in case?
    01-07-2011 03:36 PM
    I figured it was just a matter of time before this trickle charging started frying batteries/phones.

Here's another one:

BATTERY EMITTING "SMOKE" (Trickle-Charge Kernel most likely responsible?!) - xda-developers
    01-07-2011 07:56 PM
    Damn, been running for over a week (maybe2?) perfectly fine.....now I'm thinking of flashing a different kernel. I was REALLY enjoying the extra 10% of batt life....
    01-07-2011 08:16 PM
    I do have kind of a major update, so I am happy that many more have seen the thread and I'm not the only one seeing problems...check xda and there is even one example of a battery starting to smoke. Anyway, I purchased a $4 external battery charger for some reason when I originally got the phone and thought I would give it a whirl to see if it had any effect on the battery....and it did. Here is what the thing looks like:

Since I was frustrated and wasn't thinking it would work, I just kept touching the contacts on the charger to the battery in various combinations until one of the green lights started blinking. I left it plugged in for about an hour and then put the battery back into the Evo...sure enough it booted up! Keep in mind that I couldn't get the battery to charge AT ALL while in the phone, and since the battery was DEAD to the world I could not boot the phone or anything with it. I got my phone on long enough with my wife's battery to change to the HTC kernel, but otherwise my phone was no good with the original battery.

So the phone booted miraculously after I pretty much used a defibrillator on it but the battery widget said 16%...then 15%...then 14%, all in a span of about 45 seconds. So I immediately plugged it into an AC outlet charger and it started charging back up, albeit slowly (or so it seemed). So here I am a few hours later with my Evo running, but plugged in. If I unplug the cord, I am losing up to 3-5% in charge every minute, but it seems to be OK otherwise. It got so far as to the LED turning green while turned off, but was down to 96% by the time it booted.

I have to be perfectly honest and admit that I am thoroughly confused about what is going on, so hopefully someone has some ideas. I'm happy that it kind of works right now, but I realize that the battery is all but dead at this point.

Why does the Battery Widget still say the health of the battery is "good"?
    01-07-2011 09:11 PM
    Looks like even netarchy is recognizing there could be a problem with these kernels.

From the thread on XDA:

Due to troubling reports of battery issues possibly caused by the SBC battery charger modification, all SBC kernel build links have been removed from the first post.
    If you still wish to use SBC builds, being aware of any possible risks battery charger modifications may present,
    you can access all previously available netarchy-toastmod SBC builds here,
    or you can try ms79723's official SBC thread for one of his kernel builds, some of which are based on netarchy-toastmod.
    And here's another person with a fried battery:

http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=900412
    01-07-2011 10:46 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD