Im about To Root my phone. Im really scared...

Youssef7

Nov 9, 2010
Visit site
Im going to read everything and will watch videos. Im still not sure what rooting is.. but if its a app like Preware Im set :)

i will keep updated. If something goes wrong I will kill myself because I got a this phone 2 days ago.

swissarmy

Jun 5, 2010
Visit site
Just rooted for the first time a few days ago with CM6.1.2. Its a whole new world and a good one at that. I too came from the pre and found rooting a little more intimidating on the EVO. However, once you have gone through the ropes it becomes more understandable. Good Luck! ;)

Robbie317

Jun 7, 2010
Visit site
Im going to read everything and will watch videos. Im still not sure what rooting is.. but if its a app like Preware Im set :)

i will keep updated. If something goes wrong I will kill myself because I got a this phone 2 days ago.

It's not that bad.... and I did mine the long hard way.....

Youssef7

Nov 9, 2010
Visit site
This looks like so complicated... and like whats the point.. All I got from what people said was it will make the evo faster and you can do hot-spot for free... that doesn't really make me want to go trough all that risk and trouble for those 2 things..

ace_spades

Jul 30, 2010
Visit site
If all else fails...just use unrevoked...though a lot of ppl on here don't recommended it (they prefer the more hands on approach)...its easy to unroot also

Sent from my PC36100 using Tapatalk

eye4ni

May 17, 2010
Visit site
Just rooted over the weekend using unrevoked. It was pretty easy, hardest part (which was not hard) was installing the windows drivers. After that, you pretty much just plug your phone into the pc and it does the rest, took maybe 10 minutes total.

Now I have free wifi hotspot, and immediately deleted all the bloatware using root explorer (I bought this in the market). I think I'm ready to start flashing roms, going to look into that tonight. I want to be able to use setcpu etc. even though I have read that I can already use it with the stock rom, just would have to reset it every time my evo is rebooted.

I was scared too, and I had no issues at all. I was most excited to have the free wifi hotspot, which works flawlessly!

edit: for anyone who uses the unrevoked method, make sure you read the instructions, you have to enable USB Debugging in your phone's settings, it won't work without this.....

RUSH

Dec 6, 2010
Visit site
Hi, Youssef7.
I honestly don't think that you are ready to do this yet.

Watching videos and reading about rooting sometimes isn't enough. Trust me I know.

The process itself is not all that complicated, but when you have no idea what you're doing the results is - darn, I should have just left the phone as is.

When you're ready... you'll know.

Good luck in any decision you make.

Ps. I'm not rooted and I'm loving my phone. I'll admit that at one time I was tempted to root my phone, but after reading all those stuff - and checking out the videos... I change my mind. :)

eye4ni

May 17, 2010
Visit site
I don't know anything about simple root, but unrevoked was just updated a few days ago for the latest OTA update from Sprint. I can't imagine simple root being any easier, so unless you want to try to do it the longer, more complicated way, I would recommend unrevoked.

unrevoked3 recovery reflash tool, v3.31

Read the part that says "more info?" and download the windows driver, and install before you root. Read directions.

Root your phone at your own risk, it could destroy your evo.

Reactions: Youssef7

bboykin87

Nov 23, 2010
Visit site
I'm thinking maybe you shouldn't root your phone, if you don't think the benefits outweigh the risk, maybe you shouldn't do it.

You seemed underwhelmed about the free tethering and making your phone faster, while these are only a few of the reasons to root, if that doesn't excite you, not much more will.

There are some articles about benefits of rooting that you should read, I don't have any links but google should be able to find them

When I first thought about rooting my phone I was a little hesitant and scared. I read up on it for about two weeks before I made the move to do it.

I have never looked back and I have been completely happy with my decision.

If you are not a technical person that would be another reason not to root, as a lot of technical issues can arise during the rooting process and afterwards, that if you don't know how to handle them our proceed, you can brick your phone

Read, read, read, and read some more, you can never have too much info on this subject

One last thing,i have always felt if you have to ask someone if you should root, then you probably shouldn't do it...

My 2 cents

Sent from my EVO on tapatalk PRO

npark

Apr 16, 2010
Visit site
The ability to completely customize your experience is the real point.

If you dont think rooting has any value for you, thats fine. Dont do it. However, it doesnt mean that it's not a worthwhile exercise for other people.

Personally for me, the ability to tweak every aspect of my phone has made me much happier. Yes, functionally, differs little (other than features such as hotspot, which is invaluable to me in its own right, but not the point of my statement): phone calls are made, email is checked, and web is browsed. However, the manner in which all that is done differs and therein lies the value for rooting.

Youssef7

Nov 9, 2010
Visit site
Okay I guess my phone is rooted from Enrevoked 3 and it said "Done". I look at my phone and I see super Permissions.. I click it and nothing is there.... so what do I do now.. wheres all the goodies at lol

Last edited:

npark

Apr 16, 2010
Visit site
What do you mean? Sounds like you are rooted, and that is the entire point of rooting: run applications in superuser mode.

Among the things you might be interested in:
Download rom manager from market and flash a recovery; i suggest amon ra

Install titanium backup from market

Install other apps that you want that require root (tether?)

Do a nandroid backup from the recovery

Flash a new rom, from recovery after wipe, cache wipe, and dalvik wipe

Pretty much, root implies you have access to do anything you want now. Inherehently it doesnt give you anything else in of itself. You have to do the rest yourself.

Have fun.

Members online

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
pierre5463