[Info/Guide] Rooting FAQ and General information.

GNemes

Sep 1, 2010
Visit site
So ... squirmy here, but would love to get rid of all the bloatware and having a bit more control over this thing. I've been trying to understand a bit more about rooting through other forums as well. You were kind enough to respond to my message about backing up my data files and suggested rooting. (THANK YOU!)

Couple of questions if you have a moment?

1. Have any of the steps in this thread changed since Froyo 2.2 or with any of the other system updates, etc.?

2. I use Companionlink to sync to desktop Outlook (no I can't use cloud ... so no Google calendars). In any event, do you know whether any apps do NOT work after rooting?

Thanks!

igotsanevo4g

Retired Moderator
Jul 31, 2010
Visit site
So ... squirmy here, but would love to get rid of all the bloatware and having a bit more control over this thing. I've been trying to understand a bit more about rooting through other forums as well. You were kind enough to respond to my message about backing up my data files and suggested rooting. (THANK YOU!)

Couple of questions if you have a moment?

1. Have any of the steps in this thread changed since Froyo 2.2 or with any of the other system updates, etc.?

2. I use Companionlink to sync to desktop Outlook (no I can't use cloud ... so no Google calendars). In any event, do you know whether any apps do NOT work after rooting?

Thanks!

I wrote this AFTER 2.2 has dropped, and after 3.70 OTA was pushed, so its still good.

Yep, all apps will work after you root, just like normal. If you upgrade to gingerbread some apps might not be compatible with gingerbread yet, its not the rooting/phones fault, the app developer just hasnt updated the app (if it needs to be updated). But after you root, you will be on sprint lovers rom which is a 3.70, froyo based sense rom that is mostly stock with root access and some good tweaks.

Reactions: GNemes

GNemes

Sep 1, 2010
Visit site
Thanks so much for your quick replies! Unfortunately work keeps getting in the way of getting this done -- I think this afternoon though I can give this a go. Just two more q's though ...

1. You talk about upgrading to gingerbread. Should I wait to root until gingerbread is released? I mean, if I root now and then gingerbread comes out, I assume that the Sprint update won't work right? So then will I have to go through unroot and then re-rooting? (told you I was a newbie! :) )

2. Is the sprint lovers rom enough to allow me to remove the bloatware junk from the phone and tether? I "think" that's all I want to do--don't really need anything fancy here, just want to clean the phone up and be able to connect my laptop to it when I'm out in the field working.

3. Oops 3 q's -- Is there a really good list of roms that describes what they do in plain language for folks like me? I've looked at a couple of other forums and I can't really figure out what's what yet ...

Thanks again!

igotsanevo4g

Retired Moderator
Jul 31, 2010
Visit site
Thanks so much for your quick replies! Unfortunately work keeps getting in the way of getting this done -- I think this afternoon though I can give this a go. Just two more q's though ...

1. You talk about upgrading to gingerbread. Should I wait to root until gingerbread is released? I mean, if I root now and then gingerbread comes out, I assume that the Sprint update won't work right? So then will I have to go through unroot and then re-rooting? (told you I was a newbie! :) )

No, your answer is actually in my guide :p but ill repeat it, when sprint pushes an update it can be grabbed by developers and packed into a stock, rooted rom for you to flash to your phone and stay rooted. Also, developers base the current sense roms off of the latest OTA updates.
But, you can get 2.3 gingerbread right now via CyanogenMod7, it great too :D

2. Is the sprint lovers rom enough to allow me to remove the bloatware junk from the phone and tether? I "think" that's all I want to do--don't really need anything fancy here, just want to clean the phone up and be able to connect my laptop to it when I'm out in the field working.

Its basically a stock, rooted rom with some good tweaks. Once your rooted you can remove the bloat by using root explorer from the market, although most roms have the bloat removed already. You can also tether with any rom once your rooted.

3. Oops 3 q's -- Is there a really good list of roms that describes what they do in plain language for folks like me? I've looked at a couple of other forums and I can't really figure out what's what yet ...

Im actually working on a list of roms, kernels, and themes. Should be done within a day or 2, stay tuned ;)

Thanks again!

Check da bold.

Reactions: GNemes

GNemes

Sep 1, 2010
Visit site
Thank you again for your very prompt reply!! I'm so impressed with all you folks on Android Central!

Sorry I missed your explanation of updates in your guide. So many guides to read that I'm not sure what I've read where ....

I'm off to give this a go this evening! Wish me luck -- gotta work all weekend and need a working phone with me at all times!

<gulp>

igotsanevo4g

Retired Moderator
Jul 31, 2010
Visit site
Thank you again for your very prompt reply!! I'm so impressed with all you folks on Android Central!

Sorry I missed your explanation of updates in your guide. So many guides to read that I'm not sure what I've read where ....

I'm off to give this a go this evening! Wish me luck -- gotta work all weekend and need a working phone with me at all times!

<gulp>

No problem.

You dont need luck, thats for people that dont know what they're doing ;)
Dont hesitate to post in the rooting sticky if you get stuck, fred knows his stuff and can help ya out.

markespo55

Oct 15, 2010
Visit site
Can I root without using a computer? I did with my eris by flashing everything from recovery. Just wondering if it is the same or similar...

iluvmyevo4g

Aug 1, 2011
Visit site
Let me apologize in advance for the extremely basic question. I received a replacement Evo from Sprint and it had the Super user Permission app that looks like a Ninja. I determined that I have root access but I do not think it is full. How do I know and how do I determine what method was used?

Thank you in advance

SmokeCrawler

Jul 23, 2010
Visit site
Let me apologize in advance for the extremely basic question. I received a replacement Evo from Sprint and it had the Super user Permission app that looks like a Ninja. I determined that I have root access but I do not think it is full. How do I know and how do I determine what method was used?

Thank you in advance

There are a couple of things to see if you are properly rooted. Run an app that requires root or you can use this Root Checker by Joey Krim.

Look at the bootloader screen to see if it says S-OFF or if it has the eng. hboot .76.2.

iluvmyevo4g

Aug 1, 2011
Visit site
There are a couple of things to see if you are properly rooted. Run an app that requires root or you can use this Root Checker by Joey Krim.

Look at the bootloader screen to see if it says S-OFF or if it has the eng. hboot .76.2.
Thanks for the fast response,
I have root access according to root checker and can load apps for rooted devices. However, when I go to the boot loader screen it says S-ON, thats where my confusion started.

Here's what the boot loader says:
SUPERSONIC EVT2-3 SHIP S-ON
HBOOT-2.1-.0001
MICROP-041f
TOUCH PANEL-ATMELC03_16ac
RADIO-2.15.00.11.19
Oct 15 2010, 12:07:00

If that helps

SmokeCrawler

Jul 23, 2010
Visit site
Thanks for the fast response,
I have root access according to root checker and can load apps for rooted devices. However, when I go to the boot loader screen it says S-ON, thats where my confusion started.

Here's what the boot loader says:
SUPERSONIC EVT2-3 SHIP S-ON
HBOOT-2.1-.0001
MICROP-041f
TOUCH PANEL-ATMELC03_16ac
RADIO-2.15.00.11.19
Oct 15 2010, 12:07:00

If that helps

I try to help out the best I can, but I'm actually very short on time right now. Give igotsanevo4g a pm or fred and they can figure which file to tell you to use. Sorry couldn't be more help, but going out with the family for dinner has higher priority.

You have a rootable hboot. 2.10. Just need to check which software you have.You can use Freds guide if need be. It seems like all the previous owner did was turn S back on. Which mean you'll have to use some of the steps in the rooting guide to push a custom recovery on so you can flash the s-off tool again.

Rascaldoc

Sep 29, 2011
Visit site
I downloaded revolutionary and am trying to figure out which version of HBoot I have. I have the serial number of my phone (hope I can figure out which O's are numbers or letters.... tyvm HTC ....lol) but each time I run revolutionary, it opens what appears to be a dos window an disappears before I can go any further. What am I doing wrong?

Thx8421

Sep 15, 2011
Visit site
I rooted my phone and everything seems in order but I don't have root access . To me it seems the problem is in superuser. I don't know what I'm missing. Maybe I'm overlooking something. Thank-you

Thx8421

Sep 15, 2011
Visit site
Figure it out. Outdated SU binary installed with root where it could not be uninstalled. Downloaded appropriate binary update from androidsu.com. Thanks for the informative reading though.Happy Holidays to all.:)

Reactions: jharo

dlinden29

Jan 5, 2012
Visit site
Does rooting with Revolutionary wipe any of your data? I've never done this before, so I'm a little hesitant. Would really like to root, though!