Data stops working after a while

unixpsycho

Oct 26, 2009
Visit site
Has anyone had problems with custom ROMs where data stops working after 12 hours or so? And i'm talking most custom ROMs. VaelPak seemed to not do it.

WiFi and 3G just stop working. turning on Airplane mode then off fixes the problem.

I usually use the stock kernel in all the ROMs i've tried.

eye4ni

May 17, 2010
Visit site
Probably unrelated, but I just realized why my wifi kept disconnecting after a while and it was because the wifi sleep policy was reset to sleep when screen turns off.... is "always on mobile data" turned on?

unixpsycho

Oct 26, 2009
Visit site
Probably unrelated, but I just realized why my wifi kept disconnecting after a while and it was because the wifi sleep policy was reset to sleep when screen turns off.... is "always on mobile data" turned on?

Yep, all the good stuff is enabled and not sleeping. no n00b here :)

The Wifi or 3G icons are there and say full signal... just no data until i reset them.

If I flash back to the stock Sprint ROM it works forever, or until spontaneous reboot.

RUSH

Dec 6, 2010
Visit site
A fix for that might be to update profile. From home-screen press menu - settings - system updates. Also, make sure that mobile is on.

Ps. Hey, Unix...nice to see you around. :)

2CupsWithString

passionately curious
Jun 1, 2010
Visit site
Hm, interesting problem, maybe try updating your data profile and make sure you're on the latest radios.

I had somewhat of a similar problem but only when wifi was on but lost it's signal, it was like the phone wouldn't reconnect or switch to 3G, I fixed this (in CM) by telling adjusting the wifi sleep policy to never.

unixpsycho

Oct 26, 2009
Visit site
A fix for that might be to update profile. From home-screen press menu - settings - system updates. Also, make sure that mobile is on.

Ps. Hey, Unix...nice to see you around. :)

Done that yesterday, still dies.

Rush, of all people you think i'm a n00b at this stuff? i've been flashing my Hero long before you got your EVO :p.

All kidding aside, this might be a simple fix but i might be thinking way too high level.
Wondering why going back to the stock ROM works? :confused:

RUSH

Dec 6, 2010
Visit site
Yep, all the good stuff is enabled and not sleeping. no n00b here :)

The Wifi or 3G icons are there and say full signal... just no data until i reset them.

If I flash back to the stock Sprint ROM it works forever, or until spontaneous reboot.
I guess we can't get away from the spontaneous reboot at all - heh?

I stay stock and I'm having almost zero issues with my phone. Quick question; Are you getting 4G signal where you are?

unixpsycho

Oct 26, 2009
Visit site
Hm, interesting problem, maybe try updating your data profile and make sure you're on the latest radios.

I had somewhat of a similar problem but only when wifi was on but lost it's signal, it was like the phone wouldn't reconnect or switch to 3G, I fixed this (in CM) by telling adjusting the wifi sleep policy to never.

I've updated the radios when i moved to a 3.70 based ROM since i heard of radio problems with it and old radio revs.

I saw something in the CM bugtracker of people having something of the same problem and it still wasnt fixed it CM 6.1. I didnt run CM for too long as I dont like the pure AOSP ROM, i'm spoiled by the Sense widgets.

unixpsycho

Oct 26, 2009
Visit site
I guess we can't get away from the spontaneous reboot at all - heh?

I stay stock and I'm having almost zero issues with my phone. Quick question; Are you getting 4G signal where you are?

I get a 4G signal in Boston fine. but it doesnt die when i'm on 4G surprisingly.

Yes, the stock ROM worked great for me, I just like the smoother/quicker custom ROMs and some themeing.

a random reboot is ok once a week, my Pre's were finiky too. :cool:

RUSH

Dec 6, 2010
Visit site
Done that yesterday, still dies.

Rush, of all people you think i'm a n00b at this stuff? i've been flashing my Hero long before you got your EVO :p.

All kidding aside, this might be a simple fix but i might be thinking way too high level.
Wondering why going back to the stock ROM works? :confused:
In no way at all... remember, you the man. Sometimes we overlook the little things that's all.

It might just fix itself after awhile. Or better yet - come back to stock. ;)

2CupsWithString

passionately curious
Jun 1, 2010
Visit site
Hm, I've been reading of some different wifi hardware in newer EVOs - what is your hardware version and do the custom roms you have use the stock 3.7 sprint kernel?

unixpsycho

Oct 26, 2009
Visit site
Hm, I've been reading of some different wifi hardware in newer EVOs - what is your hardware version and do the custom roms you have use the stock 3.7 sprint kernel?

I have a 0003 rev.

The only custom ROM that I tried that i didnt change back to the stock #15 kernel was VaelPak, which used a variation of an SBC kernel IIRC. I'm not very fond of the SBC kernels, but I would hate to think the stock kernel is the problem?

RUSH

Dec 6, 2010
Visit site
... Unix, I'm now thinking of rooting my phone - since we now have one of the best Webos developer in overlooking//hacking smartphones amongst android geniuses. haha.. :)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Finsrepair