Issues With Rooting

2CupsWithString

passionately curious
Jun 1, 2010
Visit site
V8.9 - Updated Sprint Lovers Rom
Download Here: hboot_2.xx_soff-V8.9.zip

just means that the included sprint lovers ROM is updated, it still contains the expanded recovery that you can use to push via adb.

cardude10

Dec 19, 2010
Visit site
Yes , I downloaded the package and still same message
C:\Recovery>adb shell busybox --install /sbin
adb server is out of date. killing...
* daemon started successfully *
- exec '/system/bin/sh' failed: No such file or directory (2) -. Whats the next step here as whatever I have tried have failed...

Last edited:

cardude10

Dec 19, 2010
Visit site
I was able to get the RUU to work what I did was took out the sd card and clear storage . After that RUU worked and my phone is working again. Thanks for everyone for their help.

Now I would like to know where did I went wrong and how to root it again with no issues.

2CupsWithString

passionately curious
Jun 1, 2010
Visit site
I used the script posted here to root [ROOT] ~~~ HTC EVO - Universal Auto Root ~~~ v2.2 (works with all version)(1/10/11) - xda-developers . It created all the problems to begin with.

Any other tested way which works . After I did RUU ,my software version is 3.29.651.5 not 3.70.651.1 which is needed for swype. When I try to update there are no updates from my device..

Don't do the OTA update if you plan on rooting!! What hboot version is on your phone right now?

MissJennell#IM

Mar 4, 2010
Visit site
I used the script posted here to root [ROOT] ~~~ HTC EVO - Universal Auto Root ~~~ v2.2 (works with all version)(1/10/11) - xda-developers . It created all the problems to begin with.

Any other tested way which works . After I did RUU ,my software version is 3.29.651.5 not 3.70.651.1 which is needed for swype. When I try to update there are no updates from my device..

If you actually followed that step by step it should have worked. I'm guessing it didn't mess up your phone but your lack of fully reading did.

Sent from my awesome EVO using Tapatalk

2CupsWithString

passionately curious
Jun 1, 2010
Visit site
If you actually followed that step by step it should have worked. I'm guessing it didn't mess up your phone but your lack of fully reading did.

Sent from my awesome EVO using Tapatalk

I don't know what that's supposed to mean. I'm glad the OP came here to AC and got his phone back to a good place and can take it from there. People make mistakes and no one knows everything especially when they're first trying to modify a device like an EVO. There are a lot of people that come here, read a few threads or see a theme they want and jump the gun on rooting without knowing what they're getting in to. I really like AC because it's a friendly place where people can come and get help and everyone can learn, so to me it's no big deal when people get in to a bit of hot water and someone else can help them out. Odds are there are other people who have made the same mistakes or have gotten their devices stuck in similar situations.

It's not about where your phone has been, it's about where it's going and I for one am totally glad there's another, now newly more educated EVO user out there, even if it took the long way and even if he still has more problems because he can always come back and get more help.

MissJennell#IM

Mar 4, 2010
Visit site
I don't know what that's supposed to mean. I'm glad the OP came here to AC and got his phone back to a good place and can take it from there. People make mistakes and no one knows everything especially when they're first trying to modify a device like an EVO. There are a lot of people that come here, read a few threads or see a theme they want and jump the gun on rooting without knowing what they're getting in to. I really like AC because it's a friendly place where people can come and get help and everyone can learn, so to me it's no big deal when people get in to a bit of hot water and someone else can help them out. Odds are there are other people who have made the same mistakes or have gotten their devices stuck in similar situations.

It's not about where your phone has been, it's about where it's going and I for one am totally glad there's another, now newly more educated EVO user out there, even if it took the long way and even if he still has more problems because he can always come back and get more help.

Thank you for the lecture. Not that I needed it but thanks anyways. I know that this is a place for help and blah blah blah. I have been helped here and have also helped others here. That method he used is very very very simple to do and to follow. If you actually read it there is step by step instructions. There also is answers to his exact questions in that thread. So reading would have come in very handy for him. Also I tried to help him yet he would read the answer and then ask the same question again that had already been answered. Again, reading would have come in handy. So me telling him his lack of reading was most likely his problem is because he obviously hasn't read enough to be rooting. I am sorry that somehow that offended you but reading is a must when you are going to mod your phone. I do appriciate everyone who does help here and I like when I can help someone. Sometimes people need to be reminded to READ. And then they should read some more. And probably some more after that.

2CupsWithString

passionately curious
Jun 1, 2010
Visit site
I agree with you that people do need to read and understand what they're doing to their phones, but the EVO is popular and there are plenty of people who are going to jump in and then post after their $500 device with a 2 year contract craps the bed before reading through 100s of pages.

I'm sure we can all come up with great guides that have an answer to every possible rooting issue scenario that exists for the EVO but people are going to post because this is a forum. The things that I notice most is that people who post with problems like to get re-assured so sometimes they ask the same question more than once, what does it really matter. We can post links to threads here and there but if they don't get it then what's the point? Why not take the extra step and walk them through the process, maybe everyone who reads the thread can then learn something along the way.

MissJennell#IM

Mar 4, 2010
Visit site
I agree with you that people do need to read and understand what they're doing to their phones, but the EVO is popular and there are plenty of people who are going to jump in and then post after their $500 device with a 2 year contract craps the bed before reading through 100s of pages.

I'm sure we can all come up with great guides that have an answer to every possible rooting issue scenario that exists for the EVO but people are going to post because this is a forum. The things that I notice most is that people who post with problems like to get re-assured so sometimes they ask the same question more than once, what does it really matter. We can post links to threads here and there but if they don't get it then what's the point? Why not take the extra step and walk them through the process, maybe everyone who reads the thread can then learn something along the way.

I get that. But if they don't read then they will never learn so there is no point in walking them thru it. If someone wants to modify that $500 phone (that most paid WAY less for) they need to make sure they read and learn first. Otherwise they are just idiots who kind of deserve to have a freak out. That might teach them to read and learn. I didn't say you walking him thru this was bad. It wasn't. I was simply saying that I am pretty sure that his problem started because he didn't read enough and just jumped into it. Something he needs to realize and not do in the future.

cardude10

Dec 19, 2010
Visit site
I think I read the whole guide before I started the process and ran into some problems . Even tried to reflash with the zip which failed so many times.
May be MissJennell is more proficient than other users who root their phones. There is nothing wrong with helping other people thats why we have these forums.

Thanks thefredelement for his help. Plus people do read but when they have no phone they need assistance to get it up and running.
My hboot version is 2.10.001..

Last edited:

2CupsWithString

passionately curious
Jun 1, 2010
Visit site
I think I read the whole guide before I started the process and ran into some problems . Even tried to reflash with the zip which failed so many times.
May be MissJennell is more proficient than other users who root their phones. There is nothing wrong with helping other people thats why we have these forums.

Thanks thefredelement for his help. Plus people do read but when they have no phone they need assistance to get it up and running.

a more manual process is available here: [ROOT][GUIDE] HBoot 2.02/2.10 SOFF - There Will Be Root - Upd. 01.10.11 - xda-developers

just take your time and have fun with it!

OrangeGTP

Nov 13, 2010
Visit site

MissJennell#IM

Mar 4, 2010
Visit site

Yes because I am pretty sure that the words "it's terrible to be helping other people" came out of my mouth. :rolleyes: