Taking Rooted Evo in for Service

b0ricua

May 24, 2010
Visit site
Hey folks,

I just spoke with a Sprint representative about the mass amount of dust accumalating under my screen in the top-left corner and she let me know they can fix this by replacing the screen altogether for $35 w/o insurance.

My question is, I'm up for doing this as the dust is driving me nuts, should I just nand restore one of my stock HTC Sense backups and take it in? She said they wouldn't wipe or do anything to the actual data so I figure I don't need to go the whole rout of unrooting etc.

What are your thoughts on this? Thanks.

2CupsWithString

passionately curious
Jun 1, 2010
Visit site
You should be fine with a stock ROM on there. I doubt the tech will really check. It's not like you're going in for service because of a software issue.

Just don't put a wireless tether icon on your home screen :)

b0ricua

May 24, 2010
Visit site
You should be fine with a stock ROM on there. I doubt the tech will really check. It's not like you're going in for service because of a software issue.

Just don't put a wireless tether icon on your home screen :)

Haha! Or Superuser!? :)

But yeah I agree, if I was taking it in for a "software" issue then by all means I would unroot etc., but for a hardware malfunction I figure I should be ok.

Robbie317

Jun 7, 2010
Visit site
The battery wouldn't stop them.... They have probably 20 batteries in the back that could easily be slapped into the phone and unless your going to stand over them and watch them repair your phone there is no way to really know if they powered it on or not.... That being said since your not taking it in for a software or hardware issue all their doing is cleaning the dust under the screen there should be no reason for them to mess with your phone..

I had a hardware issue with mine so I had to unroot before I took mine up there for them to look at and it ended up being a short circuit in the touch screen.... They ordered a full replacement phone for that same $35 (with out insurance) They couldn't fix the phone at all.... So might want to make sure they are not swaping out for a new device.... They told me repairs were free but to swap out for a new "Warranty" device was $35....

NxTech3

Oct 16, 2009
Visit site
if they are doing just a screen replacement, then i wouldnt worry about unrooting or anything like that. If they dont have the correct screen and they have to replace the whole device then you would want to go back to stock. They use 4 different types of LCD on the Evo so the odds of them having one to replace with are pretty slim but good luck.

b0ricua

May 24, 2010
Visit site
So might want to make sure they are not swaping out for a new device.... They told me repairs were free but to swap out for a new "Warranty" device was $35....

She confirmed that they would simply change out the screen, I'll make sure that they aren't replacing the actual device (I want to keep my HBOOT 0.76)

Robbie317

Jun 7, 2010
Visit site
She confirmed that they would simply change out the screen, I'll make sure that they aren't replacing the actual device (I want to keep my HBOOT 0.76)

Good luck.... My original EVO was an awesome machine until the screen started shorting out..... Had to unroot and get a replacement. (Which I just got yesterday) not ready to root again because I don't like the way the ear piece speaker works.... Made a couple of calls today and yeah.... Going to use it a little more before I take it back in.... Not very clear... My original EVO was crystal clear, this one is pretty bad..... Hope I don't get caught in this loop of exchanging EVO after EVO.....

igotsanevo4g

Retired Moderator
Jul 31, 2010
Visit site
I left cyanogen on there, just took my battery out and handed it over to them. They fixed the kickstand no problem, didnt even ask about the battery.

Think of it this way, "Sir we powered on your phone and saw you were rooted" You- "OH so you were SNOOPING around in my phone!"

Dont think and sprint tech wants to be in that situation. Besides, your problem is purely hardware related.

Robbie317

Jun 7, 2010
Visit site
I left cyanogen on there, just took my battery out and handed it over to them. They fixed the kickstand no problem, didnt even ask about the battery.

Think of it this way, "Sir we powered on your phone and saw you were rooted" You- "OH so you were SNOOPING around in my phone!"

Dont think and sprint tech wants to be in that situation. Besides, your problem is purely hardware related.

I guess since he has a "Dust under the screen" issue..... Mine had a little bit of dust under the screen but it was easier to see when the phone's screen was powered on vs completely off...... If they do go in and replace the screen (or clean under the screen and have to remove things) My guess is they are going to want to power the device on to make sure it works right.... Kick Stand wouldn't require powering the phone on vs replacing the screen or cleaning up under the screen to make sure it works... They power it up and notice it's rooted....

I guess the question would be is rooting Illegal? I mean I guess if you had wireless tether illegally they could try and figure out how much data you "Stole" from not paying for the wireless tether but if they are charging him a "FEE" to clean under the screen it should be irrelevant if he is rooted or not.... I unrooted because I had major issues with the screen and they sent it out for a warranty replacement.....

FractalSphere

May 28, 2010
Visit site
The bottom line is you're going in for a hardware/manufacturing issue. If they really want to tell you they can't service it because it's rooted, they'll have to make the case that rooting your phone CAUSED the dust to accumulate behind your screen. :confused:

I'd like to see them try that. :cool:

sparksd

Aug 20, 2010
Visit site
Back to the OP - did you take your phone in and get it serviced? I have dust under my screen and I've wondered how well Sprint handles this.

Dave