Where to find how to root

enzofall

Aug 12, 2010
www.youtube.com
Dear New Members,
Lately, the Htc Evo 4G forums, have been bombarded with threads on rooting. Most of these threads are not asking for help, but are being posted because many members do not take the time to read. Above this thread are amazing stickies on rooting the proper way. Yet no one seems to see them? The forums are getting really cluttered and thats making it even harder for new users to find information. The point of my little diatribe here is that i feel that many members that have been around these forums since the beginning, are having there hard work they put into their stickies go to waste because many new members want a one word answer so they post a new thread. Please guys, take the time to read these forums before you post. This will only help the community.

Amazing Stickies:
thefredelement's root sticky
truslides sdk sticky
igotsanevo4g's root sticky
liquidjesus's unroot sticky

And on a final note,
If you are new you may be hearing alot of bantering back and forth about the root proccess "Unrevoked" and it can be confusing what to listen to. But to be honest, and i think i speak for many members, the process is unsafe. While im not saying if you do the process you will mess up your phone, im saying that there is a real chance that you may. I don't know how many times people have tried to convey this to new members but some how questions about it always come up. We can not stop you from doing this, we are just advising you don't.

Remember you reading the previous forums will save everyone a lot of confusion!

Last edited by a moderator:

Telperion

Jan 13, 2011
Visit site
As a new member who has always read stickies before posting, and indeed has here too, the stickies in this forum are scattered at best as everyone has a different opinion on the best way to do things, many of these opinions being based on technical knowledge which can't be conveyed conveniently. It is also an ever-changing landscape.

I've been the resident expert on other topics in other forums on other sites much like this one on a variety of subjects and even for me it's very cluttered.

Just a thought. Everything seems simple when you know where it is.

enzofall

Aug 12, 2010
www.youtube.com
As a new member who has always read stickies before posting, and indeed has here too, the stickies in this forum are scattered at best as everyone has a different opinion on the best way to do things, many of these opinions being based on technical knowledge which can't be conveyed conveniently. It is also an ever-changing landscape.

I've been the resident expert on other topics in other forums on other sites much like this one on a variety of subjects and even for me it's very cluttered.

Honestly its on the contrary for me...i feel as though the stickies are extremely productive but it is the thread posted by users that do not read that cause chaos...just my view though ;)

Telperion

Jan 13, 2011
Visit site
Honestly its on the contrary for me...i feel as though the stickies are extremely productive but it is the thread posted by users that cause chaos...just my view though ;)
They indeed are extremely productive, but they also lack a compare and contrast quality that is what most new inexperience users are looking for. "Yes, A is good, but is B better for me." That is contingent on both what the person wants out of A and B, but it also depends on the person's ability to ascertain the differences between A or B.

Many threads suggest "Use this, or use this, or you can also use this," but they don't often tell you why you would choose one over the other or how to determine why you would want to choose one over the other.

That's what I mean when I say cluttered. Lots of options are fantastic, it's why many people choose Android, but it can also be very scattered. A "I want:" flowchart would be very helpful, for example, if you want to stay stock but remove bloat, here's A, B, and C, and the reasons for each A, B, and C are here. If you want custom kernel, here are ROMs that work well with it, and pros and cons. Etc etc etc.

My 2 cents, but I work in quality assurance / training / staff development so providing clear, concise, orderly instructions with very specific steps and choices is somewhat of a picky spot of mine. :)

enzofall

Aug 12, 2010
www.youtube.com
They indeed are extremely productive, but they also lack a compare and contrast quality that is what most new inexperience users are looking for. "Yes, A is good, but is B better for me." That is contingent on both what the person wants out of A and B, but it also depends on the person's ability to ascertain the differences between A or B.

Many threads suggest "Use this, or use this, or you can also use this," but they don't often tell you why you would choose one over the other or how to determine why you would want to choose one over the other.

That's what I mean when I say cluttered. Lots of options are fantastic, it's why many people choose Android, but it can also be very scattered. A "I want:" flowchart would be very helpful, for example, if you want to stay stock but remove bloat, here's A, B, and C, and the reasons for each A, B, and C are here. If you want custom kernel, here are ROMs that work well with it, and pros and cons. Etc etc etc.

My 2 cents, but I work in quality assurance / training / staff development so providing clear, concise, orderly instructions with very specific steps and choices is somewhat of a picky spot of mine. :)

i understand what your getting at lol that is a good opinion

2CupsWithString

passionately curious
Jun 1, 2010
Visit site

Honestly its on the contrary for me...i feel as though the stickies are extremely productive but it is the thread posted by users that do not read that cause chaos...just my view though ;)

Thanks for the props in the OP! I really do hope my guide is helpful and I try to keep it updated with correct methods for varying versions.

That being said I think both the above posts that I quoted are both entirely correct.

Sometimes you get the "how do i root my evo" post and sometimes you get "holy crap my phone is boot looping I followed half the steps from 6 different guides and AHHHH" lol so you know what I mean I'm sure.

Maybe there could be a way to get threads marked for merging or something that could help clean things up.

enzofall

Aug 12, 2010
www.youtube.com
Thanks for the props in the OP! I really do hope my guide is helpful and I try to keep it updated with correct methods for varying versions.

That being said I think both the above posts that I quoted are both entirely correct.

Sometimes you get the "how do i root my evo" post and sometimes you get "holy crap my phone is boot looping I followed half the steps from 6 different guides and AHHHH" lol so you know what I mean I'm sure.

Maybe there could be a way to get threads marked for merging or something that could help clean things up.

No problem! I love your sticky it was jammed packed with info. Yea i definetely think some forums need to be merged...on a daily basis lol id be happy to do it but im just a regular member :/...nothing special lol

2CupsWithString

passionately curious
Jun 1, 2010
Visit site

Excellent - I feel like when I try to help someone I like to present options, my train of thought is that this person just bought this and it's their phone so I hate to tell someone specifically how to do something, I just like to get them directed to the right places. Having said that I think some well qualified opinions may be in order.

What I also see is a lot of people "helping" but in reality just repeating what someone else has said and at that, repeating it incorrectly, so the end result is we get a bunch of threads with well intended but mis guided post and even more freaked out newbies.

This all being said, this place is awesome and has remained totally newbie friendly and anti flame and that's just fine by me.

RUSH

Dec 6, 2010
Visit site
Those stickies are amazing, but due to the fact that I'm not good at using computers I remain root-free.

? Nice Thread ?

DroidXcon

Oct 21, 2010
Visit site

Telperion, your suggestions are valid and appreciated, perhaps you can give some of your ideas and opinions in the Android Central Meta area perhaps in this thread

http://forum.androidcentral.com/android-central-meta/15083-comments-suggestion.html

This way perhaps other people can chime in and give their thoughts on this or suggestions on how to improve our system....

Also this may help people who are posting things that are def sticky worthy to format them in a way that is more detailed or in a way that leave them open to expansion without having to create another thread.

i recently have made a couple of How to threads, that were not exactly original but they were more detailed so now we have 2 threads that are identical but one is more detailed.

But as a whole, IMO we have one of the best communities in the Android realm. We provide help from the noob kind to the hard core kind without alienating people for not knowing.

I am thankful for your opinon and for all the great members and staff of AC.

i hope everyone enjoys our forums as much as i do.

MissJennell#IM

Mar 4, 2010
Visit site
Dear New Members,
Lately, the Htc Evo 4G forums, have been bombarded with threads on rooting. Most of these threads are not asking for help, but are being posted because many members do not take the time to read. Above this thread are amazing stickies on rooting the proper way. Yet no one seems to see them? The forums are getting really cluttered and thats making it even harder for new users to find information. The point of my little diatribe here is that i feel that many members that have been around these forums since the beginning, are having there hard work they put into their stickies go to waste because many new members want a one word answer so they post a new thread. Please guys, take the time to read these forums before you post. This will only help the community.

Amazing Stickies:
truslides sdk sticky

And on a final note,
If you are new you may be hearing alot of bantering back and forth about the root proccess "Unrevoked" and it can be confusing what to listen to. But to be honest, and i think i speak for many members, the process is unsafe. While im not saying if you do the process you will mess up your phone, im saying that there is a real chance that you may. I don't know how many times people have tried to convey this to new members but some how questions about it always come up. We can not stop you from doing this, we are just advising you don't.

I couldn't agree more. I absolutely think that people need to read a heck of a lot more. Read, read, read, read and then once you feel you know what you are doing you should read some more.

I don't think you can tell someone why most of the time. Like why one option is better than the next because each phone responds to some of these things differently. Like Rom's for example. My phone hates Cyanogen Roms yet most people it is their fall back rom. I think that if people read the links to some of the posts it would say all the stuff they need to know.

Telperion

Jan 13, 2011
Visit site
I don't think you can tell someone why most of the time. Like why one option is better than the next because each phone responds to some of these things differently. Like Rom's for example. My phone hates Cyanogen Roms yet most people it is their fall back rom. I think that if people read the links to some of the posts it would say all the stuff they need to know.
Clearly you can tell someone why because you just told me why. :) "Rom A and Rom B are equally valid options, equally stable, but some phones prefer one over another." My Sprint Pre has responded very well to a 1GHz kernel, others have not, that's fairly easy to explain.

Not everyone has the time to read what amounts to an encyclopedia of information; if presented in a user-friendly manner the first time, it will be both more informative and contain more information, and be easy to write.

I'm responsible for maintaining training manuals that contain instructions and statutory compliance from 4-5 separate state and federal agencies for 55 employees across 4 branches of my government agency, and believe me all of our employees are not on the same intelligence level. I've found myself thinking and saying "The way I wrote it is just fine, I don't need to improve it, they should just get it." Lazy and incompetent users aside, the comprehension bar can be set fairly low in the hacking, ROM, kernel arena aside without diluting the content, and the onus is on the one giving the instructions.

In my 2 or so days on these forums they've been great and very helpful for when I do pick up likely an Evo in the coming weeks; I am just of the belief that anything can be made better, and that is in no way casting judgment or slighting the existing threads. Forward thought is what creates progress.

All that said, my MBA starts up again with 10 hours this semester in addition to the 40 hours a week I work, so I may not be able to contribute a whole lot much more than opinion, but I'll head on over to the meta forum when I can and share my thoughts.

2CupsWithString

passionately curious
Jun 1, 2010
Visit site
I have updated the PSA to link to a post in the thread that I just wrote that pretty much says what I would personally do to root my phone, maybe that will help.

evoKY

Jun 3, 2010
Visit site
Dear New Members,

Amazing Stickies:

truslides sdk sticky

And on a final note,

Could you explain a little more why Unrevoked should be avoided? I know a lot of people say rooting should be done the manual way and Unrevoked is evil but I want to know why? Are the developers behind unrevoked not trust worthy? Is it because they don't reveal how it's being done? I'm looking for more of a detailed explanation why it should be avoided? Thanks!