looking for best custom rom

leo5111

Dec 23, 2010
Visit site
im looking for the best ones and what tools do i need to root it? i have managed to root and custom rom my captivate and my friends vibrant now my HTC evo 4g friend wants his done.. :p

npark

Apr 16, 2010
Visit site
There isn't a "best" rom out there per se.

Your choices are between (1) Sense based ROMs, (2) AOSP (ish) ROMs--ROMs that have Sense removed for mostly AOSP experience, or (3) CynaogenMod--never had Sense, never will, based off AOSP open source.

There's no magic bullet. Each ROM has its advantages, and reasons why people like them. I suggest doing some research and reading up on each one. However, deciding whether you want an AOSP experience or Sense experience would greatly facilitate your decision process.

As for rooting, you should start your reading here: http://forum.androidcentral.com/htc...-help-info-asking-help-updated-1-14-11-a.html That should be enough information for you to navigate the rooting process. If you have specific questions, circle back here and let us know.

igotsanevo4g

Retired Moderator
Jul 31, 2010
Visit site
Hope you have read around as rooting the Evo isnt the same as vibrant/captivate. It takes more steps due to the need to unlock "nand". If you need help with it or anything, lots of helpful people are in this forum.

But if you already know that id say CM6/CM7 is the best, but if you need 4G and HDMI working then... Vealpak or MYN RLS5.

OrangeGTP

Nov 13, 2010
Visit site

JayStation3

Nov 21, 2010
www.wwwdotcom.com
Well as already mentioned in this thread - there is not one "best" ROM out there... they all are great in thier own right. You will have to just check each of them out and figure out which one you like the most. I have tried out "Frost", Myn 2.2 and MikFroyo - all were pretty good, but now I am considering going over to CM7 because they finally got the 4G working on it... we will see

Also - the one click root does not work on the newer EVO firmwares... I attempted it and I got stuck after the second reboot, I ended up having to do a manual recovery flash on my other EVO - Just use the new UnrEVOked3, it works for all versions of EVOs now and its a lot less painful :)

Reactions: kuscoot and leo5111

leo5111

Dec 23, 2010
Visit site
Well as already mentioned in this thread - there is not one "best" ROM out there... they all are great in thier own right. You will have to just check each of them out and figure out which one you like the most. I have tried out "Frost", Myn 2.2 and MikFroyo - all were pretty good, but now I am considering going over to CM7 because they finally got the 4G working on it... we will see

Also - the one click root does not work on the newer EVO firmwares... I attempted it and I got stuck after the second reboot, I ended up having to do a manual recovery flash on my other EVO - Just use the new UnrEVOked3, it works for all versions of EVOs now and its a lot less painful :)

ok i downloaded that , thanks :p

enzofall

Aug 12, 2010
www.youtube.com
Hope you have read around as rooting the Evo isnt the same as vibrant/captivate. It takes more steps due to the need to unlock "nand". If you need help with it or anything, lots of helpful people are in this forum.

But if you already know that id say CM6/CM7 is the best, but if you need 4G and HDMI working then... Vealpak or MYN RLS5.

+1 cm for aosp
myn for sense

Dec 28, 2010
Visit site
I rooted my EVO manually. But my friend asked me to root his while I was at work so I jjust tried to use unrevoked3. It didn't work so I used Z4root to temp root it. And then I h
just ran unrevoked3 while temporarily rooted. Worked perfect

SmokeCrawler

Jul 23, 2010
Visit site
Cm6 for a stable rom but cm7 is pretty stable for a nightly. It does have some bugs

Vaelpak is an awesome rom with everything working. The Dev of the rom Vaelek is very responsive to questions and involved with his followers on his site

cloak.n.dagger

Jun 24, 2010
Visit site

dw3bb10

Dec 21, 2010
Visit site
I also had BAD stability issues with CM6. Couldnt even get CM7 to boot. Currently running Myn 2.2 RLS5 and I LOVE IT! I recommend it.