General question about nandroid backups

coogrrr94

Sep 20, 2010
Visit site
So I just rooted last night and been doing research on flashing custom roms. I created my first nandroid backup last night following the rooting method thread. I have also read that each time you flash a new rom you should do a nandroid backup. I assume you would have multiple nandroid backups if you flash roms several times. My question is this, is the 1st nandroid backup after root sacred? Do I need to save it on my pc? Is that back up the only way to get back to the original stock rom, or does it have nothing to do with that?

mhuggins

May 10, 2010
Visit site
Thats a good question im still new at this too but if you flash a rom and you like it but want to try a different one u just do a nandroid backup and then wipe everything then flash the new rom.... if you dont like it just restore the last backup and youll be right back to the last rom you had...... correct me if im wrong i dont mind lol

2CupsWithString

passionately curious
Jun 1, 2010
Visit site
If you use rom manager to make your backups you can put the name in the name field before the phone reboots. I use abbreviations

so rom manager would come up with like 2011xxxxx:xxx

I just put like CM6BHD for cyanogen rom 6 with bliss hd theme

or AC in front of it for android central rom, or GB for ginger bread, etc.

It makes it manageable for me.

hitman-_-45-_-

Mar 25, 2010
Visit site
I use amon and after the backup is done and phone is rebooted I rename them. For example BCDS-20110119-0517cm7.5mix
I added "cm7.5mix" for rom name, version, and theme.
Also if your connected to the pc when doing a nand you can always hit the usb toggle in recovery and browse to your sd card and rename through your pc.
Edit: should of read the whole message above mine kind of said the same thing.
Sent from my PC36100 using Tapatalk

JayStation3

Nov 21, 2010
www.wwwdotcom.com
Na, When you go to Restore - Recovery will automatically read it - regardless of what the name of the file is... just dont mess with any of the files INSIDE that folder...

DroidXcon

Oct 21, 2010
Visit site
One last question, any do's or don'ts when renaming? Hate to make the file invalid.

Also be mindful of the kernel's and radio you are running , its good to keep tracck of that because some roms are not compatible with certain kernels or radios. just be mindful

AlphaTango414

Jan 13, 2011
Visit site
When renaming them do not use a space. This will cause a md5 error when trying to recover the recovery rom. If you use rom manager it will tell you but if you rename it with your computer it will not warn you. Just a heads up so you don't freak when a recovery wouldn't open.

Sent From My "Salvage Evo" Using Tapatalk

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kerokekerol