Stupid question: Lame security questions that need to be asked.

Bills_Evo4G

Dec 16, 2010
Visit site
Okay, disclaimer here... I mean no offence to any dev / xda etc.

An aqaintance through a friend that is a coder/programmer for a top software company here in silicon valley was mentioning to me that my rooted Android can and will have personal data collected and sent to the developer(s) of said ROM(s), passwords, map data locations tweets, email and more.

I have to admit he raised some valid points and therefore raised the paranoia flag. He said that this is what happens when you have open source and no controls in place for each ROM.

He said iOS is locked down so that personal data can't be collected by the third party. Where Android is open via root is vulnerable especially ones bank login passwords etc. Now he has me second guessing.

Sure I don't have to visit those sites or do online banking etc but that's just not possible. Can anyone explain what measures are in place to protect us? I really like my ROM and want to keep using it. I guess what I am asking is if it's safe?

Sent from my PC36100 using Tapatalk

Johnly

Retired Moderator
Oct 6, 2010
Visit site
Your friend has got a point, but don't think Apple will "keep you safe" Most, if not all of the devs out there do this for fun and a beer/coffee donation. I have seen the same devs around for years, and they are a crew! Never once has anyone been exploited from reputable android sites.

Sounds a little paranoid to me, he he.....

iOS can be hacked too, and broken. If a thief wants your info, they will get it, if you are foolish. I bid you to have your friend/you to lay down some framework for this argument? Because as of now, it is a fact less bit.
http://www.androidpolice.com/2010/05/01/custom-roms-for-android-explained-and-why-you-want-them/
Read this.......I would be more worried about a app, lol

Last edited:

Bills_Evo4G

Dec 16, 2010
Visit site
That's kind of what I figured. Like I said I meant no offense to the devs.
While I am not a full fledged coder (I dabble) I am a systems administrator/engineer /networks and have many colleagues that are devs and coders, I work on their machines and maintain their servers.

I kinda understand the crew and brotherhood so to speak and appreciate all their hard work and efforts. I have even donated so they can buy some pizza to go with the beer and or coffee :)

I know that anything can be hacked and I don't trust iOS, I trust Android more.

enzofall

Aug 12, 2010
www.youtube.com
+1 Android developers have alot of integrity. Just to add on what you guys have been saying, these guys are making roms that they would like or they think others would like for the benefit of the community. I'm not saying don't be wary of things, with everything there is some kinda risk, just don't let it keep you up at night ;)

sent from enzofall

Johnly

Retired Moderator
Oct 6, 2010
Visit site
This is a good topic to discuss from time to time, and I hope someone reading this will have some new info to go with their device. Nice, pizza donations have got to be the best. I am dropping off a twelve pack for Fabs Apex ROM...it is worth at least that.....

npark

Apr 16, 2010
Visit site
Okay, disclaimer here... I mean no offence to any dev / xda etc.

An aqaintance through a friend that is a coder/programmer for a top software company here in silicon valley was mentioning to me that my rooted Android can and will have personal data collected and sent to the developer(s) of said ROM(s), passwords, map data locations tweets, email and more.

I have to admit he raised some valid points and therefore raised the paranoia flag. He said that this is what happens when you have open source and no controls in place for each ROM.

He said iOS is locked down so that personal data can't be collected by the third party. Where Android is open via root is vulnerable especially ones bank login passwords etc. Now he has me second guessing.

Sure I don't have to visit those sites or do online banking etc but that's just not possible. Can anyone explain what measures are in place to protect us? I really like my ROM and want to keep using it. I guess what I am asking is if it's safe?

Sent from my PC36100 using Tapatalk

Sounds like an apple fanboy spewing some senseless vitriol.

So, someone can create an app, or even a backdoor mechanism into a ROM. You're right, once rooted, you have the ability to do that. This is NOT by any means limited to Android.... jailbroken iOS devices have the same Achilles heel. In fact, if you follow recent news, it's always the iOS devices that have malicious software installed onto jailbroken iOS phones.

However, you have to remember the community. This is the entire arguement of "open-source" versus "closed-source". Your friend needs to come up with some original ideas, because well over a decade ago people made the same assertions about Linux being deployed into production environments for enterprises. "How can you trust open-source??" Sun and Microsoft moaned... "You will be compromised!!" with grim foreboding they tried to warn people away from Linux. Let's face it: Linux is being relied on in some form or another in EVERY major enterprise, bank, and is relied on as the core infrastructure for a plethora of mid-sized companies. So frankly, this argument is neither valid nor original.

What makes open source secure? The very nature of the open-source community itself: the reason why iOS devices more frequently have malware distributed on those websites for jailbroken devices, is the userbase. By publicly endorsing the open-source community, you attract a lot of legitimate developers and hard-core enthusiasts. This community is also self-enforcing. If a developer made some malware, the Android community would find out soon enough. The only community endorsed by Apple are devs that develop apps to be distributed ONLY on the Apple app store framework.

The purpose of jailbreaking, is to get free apps (for the most part) and circumvent the official Apple framework. The purpose of rooting and custom recoveries, is to rely completely on a different framework--the legitimate community, open-source framework.

Doomsday prophecy for open-source is old news. *yawn* This is not to say it's not going to happen, or that no one will do it. What I am saying is, I fully trust software that is vetted by a large and active community of developers... i.e. xda, devs here on AC, etc.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nikoczzzz