##DATA# Force Close

meyerweb#CB

Banned
Sep 4, 2009
Visit site
Running the Sprint Lovers ROM, otherwise stock. I want to try to remove the proxy server, as some have seen a significant increase in speed. I've got my MSL, can get into edit mode using ##3282#.

But when I tap "Advanced" I get

Sorry!

The application EPST (process com.google.android.epst) has stopped unexpectedly. Please try again.

Edit: just realized the same thing happens even in view mode. Makes me think some file got corrupted. Any idea what file? Hopefully it's backed up by TB.

Any ideas? Thanks.

Last edited:

RUSH

Dec 6, 2010
Visit site
I wouldn't recommend altering anything from inside those settings. The results are usually adding unknown problems to your phone. I'm sure no sprint technician would advice you to change those settings.

*Note*
Your phone will not be any faster than it is. Mind over matter.

Bigfire

May 13, 2010
Visit site
Actually I can atest that in many phones there are a couple of ways to reprogram the radios to get better data connection using this menu. I did this on my Instinct and Pre and saw some improvement. Should we assume those tweaks are the basis of some of the 'Radio' Roms on the threads?

They do things like change how your radio searches for a Home Agent location, ie lock on to one u choose instead of doing a search.

meyerweb#CB

Banned
Sep 4, 2009
Visit site
I've rebooted a couple of times, no joy. Thanks for the suggestion.

Rushrl, it's easy to enough to do real benchmarks to see if it's faster. Quite a few people have done that and noted real improvements. It's also quite easy to change back to the OEM settings if needed.

But for whatever reason, I can't even make the attempt. Note that this problem occurred before I tried to make any changes.

unixpsycho

Oct 26, 2009
Visit site
I wouldn't recommend altering anything from inside those settings. The results are usually adding unknown problems to your phone. I'm sure no sprint technician would advice you to change those settings.

*Note*
Your phone will not be any faster than it is. Mind over matter.

Not exactly true.

The tweak mentioned removes a proxy server. Proxies can make things faster depending on location and saves the companies internet bandwidth, also adds for quick site blocking among other things. But introduces a caveat.

Some people might see a signifigant increase if the are close to the proxy in the farm or the time of day might have low traffic. Proxies are also notorious for slowing things down if being hammered since it is a heavy IO server. I don't know how Sprint has them configured; is it a cloud of proxies, a farm on the same network with a VIP, etc. But in general if you remove the proxy hop and go straight to the site, it should be slightly faster or no gain at all. Proxies help the backend, not bandwidth to the user, which is the phone in this case.

So Sprint would like you to use their proxies for saving bandwidth on their links or whatever they use it for. In some cases it might produce a website faster to your phone if it's in their cache.

I've seen people say it makes WiFi faster, that's total BS. This tweak is only for 3G.