Issue with flashing CyanogenMod 6

eye4ni

May 17, 2010
Visit site
I have previously flashed CM6 with no issues, but switched back to stock after a week or so. Now, I want to use CM again, but didn't do a nandroid backup of CM, so I had to reflash and start from scratch.

This time, I had a few issues...

Upon flashing the rom, I immediately set up my google accounts, then installed Gapps. Somehow, a LOT of my preferences from my previous install of CM restored. The wallpaper changed to the one that I previously used (which is not the default) and a lot of my old apps appeared, that I no longer have installed. I figured this had something to do with not clearing the cache properly? I then wiped the phone, and cleared the dalvik cache, and reflashed the rom.

This time, it STILL restored my old settings/some apps, and the market would not stop force closing on me. I tried flashing the new market zip, and I was having the same problem. I tried fixing permissions in ROM Manager but this did not help. The market would constantly force close, which seemed to be triggered the first time I downloaded/installed an app. It didn't even matter if I had the market open, it would constantly try to restart in the background, causing FC messages every 30 seconds or so..... so without a solution, I had to revert to the stock rom, but really want to flash CM again.

Any ideas of what I am doing wrong?
Thanks in advance

2CupsWithString

passionately curious
Jun 1, 2010
Visit site
When you use CM, you're getting the google experience and the first time you used it I bet you hit backup my apps and data with Google.

That's why you're stuff starts to get re-installed.

As far as the market, just use the one that came included in gapps and let it update itself after that.

eye4ni

May 17, 2010
Visit site
When you use CM, you're getting the google experience and the first time you used it I bet you hit backup my apps and data with Google.

That's why you're stuff starts to get re-installed.

As far as the market, just use the one that came included in gapps and let it update itself after that.

Thanks, now that you mention it, I did select to backup apps and data... So now that I have done that, do I need to just reflash and be sure not to select that box next time?

Also, when I previously had CM installed, the market never updated to the new market. I waited over a week and it never updated, any reason why?

2CupsWithString

passionately curious
Jun 1, 2010
Visit site
Thanks, now that you mention it, I did select to backup apps and data... So now that I have done that, do I need to just reflash and be sure not to select that box next time?

Also, when I previously had CM installed, the market never updated to the new market. I waited over a week and it never updated, any reason why?

As far as I know there's no rhyme or reason to when the new market update will strike.

thewisteron

Aug 21, 2010
Visit site
Thought I'd tag along on this thread for my question....I am on Myn's TwoPointTwo and love it. However, I see Cyanogen mentioned quite a bit and after looking for info on why it is so good, I can't find much.

So........what is so good about Cyanogen? Why would I want to switch from Myn's, or would I want to?

cloak.n.dagger

Jun 24, 2010
Visit site
Cyanogen ROMS are AOSP ROMS, not Sense ROMS. This means they give you a pure Android experience. Sense is a User Interface (UI) developed by HTC that provides functionality that the base Android OS (Operating System) doesn't. Cyanogen has all forms of Sense removed from the OS. Some people prefer this others don't. It just a matter of preference. If your rooted you really owe it to yourselft to try it out. I was very impressed with it but it became to unstable for me to use after a few days. I'm sure as development continues on this ROM these issues will get worked out.

Last edited:

cloak.n.dagger

Jun 24, 2010
Visit site
CyanogenMod 6 has been Stable for some time. CyangenMod 7 is currently in the nightly stage.

Right, but stable does not mean issue free ;-) That being said, I'm sure that the issues I was having with CM6 were related to issues with Clockwork recovery. I have since gone to the Amon_RA 2.2.1 recovery and have successfully flashed several other ROMs. Once Cyanogen gets 4G and HDMI working I will giver it another spin. It was a great ROM though and seems to have a big following and great development support.

BigRick10

May 13, 2010
Visit site
Right, but stable does not mean issue free ;-) That being said, I'm sure that the issues I was having with CM6 were related to issues with Clockwork recovery. I have since gone to the Amon_RA 2.2.1 recovery and have successfully flashed several other ROMs. Once Cyanogen gets 4G and HDMI working I will giver it another spin. It was a great ROM though and seems to have a big following and great development support.
What's clockwork recovery???? ;-)