How to install custom roms to EVO 4G

jroy83732

Feb 7, 2011
Visit site
I rooted my EVO 4G with unrevolked application. I was wondering if anyone could tell me how to install different roms on my EVO. Any suggestions for good ROMs would be greatly appreciated. Also I was wondering if any one could tell me how to make my EVO stick out from the other ones....THANKS GUYS!!!

dan330

Aug 13, 2010
Visit site
to be different... and something easier than flashing a ROM.... try a new Launcher!
Launcher Pro is great.. and so customizable.

for a good stable ROM that is fast and sexy ... Myn warm twopointtwo RLS5
its in the market and installs from there too

TWC_SouthPhilly

Jun 6, 2010
Visit site
I rooted my EVO 4G with unrevolked application. I was wondering if anyone could tell me how to install different roms on my EVO. Any suggestions for good ROMs would be greatly appreciated. Also I was wondering if any one could tell me how to make my EVO stick out from the other ones....THANKS GUYS!!!

WoW!!!

After rereading your post again I relized that you were asking "how to install" a custom ROM. Not root and install a custom ROM. My bad M8!!!!!! :-!

Installing ROMs is easy...

1. Find the ROM you want... read the whole post, from page 1 to page??? Learn everything you can about the ROM you can.

2. Download everything you need for it.... the ROM, updated radios(if needed).... and so on.

3. Put them on your sdcard... I have a folder labeled "ROM Files" that I put all of my flashable zips in. Helps to find the zip your looking to flash.

4. Boot in to recovery.

5. Now that you've got everything you need for your new ROM.... do a nadriod backup. Always do a backup before you flash anything... you'll thank us later.

6. Follow the instructions from the thread of the ROM your flashing.

There you should be good to go.

dan330

Aug 13, 2010
Visit site
each ROM... the dev has instructions on how to install their ROM. You just need to read the first few post in that thread.

cloak.n.dagger

Jun 24, 2010
Visit site
Welcome to world of root and custom ROM's! This is where the real fun begins. Rom Manager is ok (the free version) but does not give you a complete list of all ROMs available. Plus, RM requires you to use ClockWork Recovery, which has been unreliable for me but not others. The full verion of RM might give you a larger ROM selection, but I don't know. I use Amon_RA recovery and have never had problems with my ROM installs. There are a couple of threads floating around here in AC with links to all the ROMs that are out there. A quick search will get you to those threads. Best thing to do is hit the XDA EVO Development site and read up on the ROMs that are out there. Those threads typically have hundreds of pages but if you read the main post from the OP, they trpicall update that post with the latest info. Know the issues with the ROM prior to loading it up. Some don't have all the features of the EVO working (HDMI, GPS, MMS, Camera, 4G, etc...). If you have questions, do a search to see if someone else has asked. If not post it. The guys on AC are awesome and very helpful if you run into problems.

Here's a link to the XDA EVO dev forum:
EVO 4G Android Development - xda-developers

Here's a nice consolodated list:
http://alchemistar.blogspot.com/2010/10/htc-evo-4g-supersonic-custom-roms-list.html

SouthPhilly's post above on "how to" flash a ROM is spot on. The general step for flashing a new ROM are:
1. Boot into recovery.
2. Nandroid backup.
3. Wipe data/cache/dalvik (there is also a format.zip file out there that will perform an extended wipe).
4. Flash the ROM zip (some ROMS will also require you to flash other zip files after you flash the ROM zip).
5. Reboot into your new ROM.

If you get stuck in a boot loop (where the phone is not booting all the way to the home screen) then you need to:

1. Pull your battery.
2. Put battery back in.
3. Hold Power+VolDown.
4. Select Recovery.
5. Nandroid restore.
6. Reboot.

This will get you back to the ROM you backed up from step 2 above.

Last edited:
Reactions: TWC_SouthPhilly