[FullHDMI] Official FullHDMI discussion

orrebmas

Feb 10, 2011
Visit site
What is FullHDMI:
FullHDMI is an app that mirrors the Evo screen onto an external display using the HDMI port on the phone.

Current Status:
The app has been released to the market. Current version is 1.3.0.

What do I need to use this app:
  • HTC EVO 4G - No Root Required!! Works out of the box!!
This is the only thing needed. No need to flash a kernel for normal functionality.
A special Sense kernel is linked on this page and provides better and smoother mirroring than stock, and also allow the user to select where the audio should go, over HDMI or play on the phone (for Sense).

FAQs:
(For general testing and troubleshooting of FullHDMI beta#1, Lokifish has put together a guide here.)
Some things that should be noted about FullHDMI:
  1. Stability: To achieve hardware acceleration, video memory (minimal) has to be used. Some poorly coded programs that also use video memory will try to grab a hold of the entire memory block instead of the available. This will cause them to crash when you are in hardware mode reserving a small block of memory to yourself. The only application that I found to be doing this is, strangely enough, HTC's Gallery (specifically video playback mode). Gallery video playback will keep trying to acquire the whole video memory, put the phone in a tight infinite loop doing so and eventually force close (after about 40 sec).
    Compatibility or software mode does not use video memory and is safe to keep on while launching Galley video playback. Compatibility mode also does not make use of the "supercharged" feature, custom res or fullscreen mode.
  2. FPS: Your frames per second will not be the same as on your phone. This is because the app is designed to keep the phone as primary display and output a secondary to the HDMI port. You are also outputting, most likely, a 1280x720 pixels which is almost ~2.5 times more the normal output. So in total you are pushing 3.5 lcd size screen worth of pixels (phone lcs + hdmi). Things can be improved if we freeze the phone display, but that wont be mirroring (maybe a feature in FullHDMI 2). Expect, however, to get more FPS in 3-D games (I get upwards of 40 fps on Raging Thunder 2) than 2-D sine he 2-D engine does the mirroring.
  3. Lag: Some TVs (like Insignia) use an image enhancing and noise reducing engine. This extra processing puts the TV about half a second behind the phone making games unplayable by looking at the TV only. Watching movies is fine since nobody cares if the phone is a little faster than the TV. On this Insignia TV, I had to go in and turn off two image enhancing and noise reducing features, and now my phone and TV track together. I know Sony has its own engine, I do not know if the extra processing there introduces lag. I have two other TVs with no lag issues, but then they don't use any image enhancing engines.
    Again, the app should not lag in mirroring, if you experience any lag then please check your TV and share your observation with us.
  4. Screen Clipping: Some TVs have different picture display settings like "cinama", "game", "zoom"... Some of these settings will changes the aspect ratio and zoom/clip the image. If you notice that the mirroring is off the screen and the edges are clipped, then either use "Normal" display setting in your TV or use the custom resolution feature of the app to display on the visible area of your TV screen.
  5. Other HDMI Apps: This app was not designed to display youtube or other apps that already work over HDMI. To use such apps you should stop FullHDMI from driving the HDMI signal first. This may change in the future.
  6. Resolutions Supported: As of now, the HDMI drivers will only output 16 bit color depth and 480p/720p. Setting the custom resolution to anything higher than 1280x720 will cause your TV screen to go blank right now. This resolution limitation is tied to the drivers and not the app itself. The HDMI chip supports 32 bit color depth and 1080p, the drivers need a lot of work to get that display out but it can be done (another future development goal). The custom kernel currently outputs 32bit color depth to the phone's LCD.
  7. Audio: While the mirroring service is active, it will route both your video and audio through the HDMI port, even if you unplug your cable. This means that when you see in your notification bar that FullHDMI status is "Actively Mirroring" and want the audio to come back to your phone, then you should go in the app and hit the "stop service" button.

Requested Feature List (finished ones will be available with next beta):
  • User control over audio:[DONE] This feature allows the user to select whether to route the audio through the HDMI port or keep it on the phone playing through the speaker or the headset.
  • Support for any kernel with or without custom drivers. (Custom drivers provide 35%+ more FPS) [DONE]
  • Support for AOSP ROMs. [DONE, audio only through phone]
  • Support for CM7. [DONE, audio only through phone]
  • Support for non-rooted phones.(hardware mode)[DONE]
  • Support the following resolutions:
    HD_720p @ 1280x720 [DONE (Requires Custom Kernel)]
    SVGA @ 800x600 [DONE]
    PAL @ 720x576 [DONE]
    EDTV @ 720x480 [DONE]
    VGA @ 640x480 [DONE]

Last edited:

azumak

Dec 10, 2010
Visit site
Oh hello! I was waiting to see this... As soon as I procure a micro HDMI cable I'll be testing it on a 32" Westinghouse LCD and a 52" Plasma.

SSjon

Feb 10, 2011
Visit site
Congrats orrebmas! the beta is working good for most people with little unknown bugs. Everyone is happy with it and looking forward to continued development.

This has been a very fun project to watch and help out with. You have made a lot of people happy, maybe a few jealous. Reading your goals for this app is just amazing. Also will put a few rumors and what not to rest. This project could use and deserves the support of Rom and kernel developers to be useful on so many levels.

Thanks for all your hard work and thanks to all the other beta and alfa testers.

Last edited:

azn_n_tn

Feb 12, 2011
Visit site
Beta is working great so far. Had some clipping issues, but after changing res it fit fine. Experiencing a little lag when playing some higher quality vids in rockplayer on my 50' Panasonic Viera plasma, but not on my 42' Vizio, I think it's a setting issue on the tv though. Again great work and whats up with the donate button not working?

t12icky0

Feb 26, 2011
Visit site
hey...just letting you know. Maybe its just my error but its not working in the Jiminiy Rom for Evo. When i plug it in and start the service up it just is like static and flickering in and out real fast. Maybe i have done something wrong who knows.

SSjon

Feb 10, 2011
Visit site
hey...just letting you know. Maybe its just my ierror but its not working in the Jiminiy Rom for Evo. When i plug it in and start the service up it just is like static and flickering in and out real fast. Maybe i have done something wrong who knows.

Can you please try flashing a different Rom? I believe you mentioned that the stock HDMI doesn't function as well. This will help pinpoint the problem.

PhAnT0M20

Feb 27, 2011
Visit site
This works great for me i'm running a stock rom with the kernel recommended for this i've even tryed this without the kernel and it worked ok. only issue i had was when i uploaded the kernel i was missing a couple icons like clock and messages but they still worked. so i uploaded it again and that fixed it so i tryed a couple things like dolphin browser, market, words with friends and they all worked pefect then i tried modern cobat 2 and it went to a black screen but the audio was still there it was really glitchy. all in all this is an awsome app!!!

pureEVO91

Feb 27, 2011
Visit site
maybe its on my end. Can you tell me the process of the download. i am trying to download it from my laptop. when i click the apk link on any of the forums i get application not found.

should i be trying to save the file not opening it on the download??

should i be loadig in recovery? its not a zip so i cant see in recovery.

any help would be MUCH MUCH WELCOMED!!!!

SSjon

Feb 10, 2011
Visit site
maybe its on my end. Can you tell me the process of the download. i am trying to download it from my laptop. when i click the apk link on any of the forums i get application not found.

should i be trying to save the file not opening it on the download??

should i be loadig in recovery? its not a zip so i cant see in recovery.

any help would be MUCH MUCH WELCOMED!!!!

You need to save the file not open it from a laptop. Then transfer onto your SD card and install it with Application manger. Or use Astro file manager or ES file explorer, to find it and install. Your gonna have to check the box enabling applications from unknown sources.

The easiest way I have found is to download to your phone and open it right from the download menu in notifications.

Reactions: pureEVO91

mrkane420

Feb 18, 2011
Visit site
a few new observations

I noticed that when the phone is connected through the hdmi app and to the the monitor if the phone goes into power save or lock or if I recieve a phone call the app says it is on but does not wake the monitor untill I turn on the app again. I also experienced if i wasn't signed in to my gmail account after putting a new rom and trying to open this app it would say force close every time I open it.

Spint lovers 2.2 /aslo tried myns 2.2 warm rsl 5
full hdmi app
full hdmi kernal

Both work with full hdmi app but make sure u have the kernal or u will not get full screen