[Links][FAQ][Guides] Read me! If you want to root / Are rooted and have questions!

igotsanevo4g

Retired Moderator
Jul 31, 2010
Visit site
Root of the SD card means no file, its just on the main directory. Does this make sense? I couldnt think of a good way to explain it off hand.

A.Emile

Mar 12, 2011
Visit site
I need assistants on rooting my HTC EVO 4G becuz I keep getting an error message thats states that the main version is older and the update has failed but I really wanna root my EVO. Please help!

TrAJIK

Jun 2, 2011
Visit site
I think your phone is stuck on an older version. I worked for sprint and ran into this problems with customers. you go to update the phone and it says it has the updated version, but in reality it does not. I recommend finding the 2.2 froyo ruu, just yahoo/google unrooting evo, and look for the one that deals with htc sync on the desktop, not the unrooting through sd card. you want to look for file "RUU_SuperSonic_S_Sprint_WWE_3.26.651.6_Radio_2.15.00.07.28_NV_1.40_release_140444_signed" this will reinstall initial 2.2 evo software then you can do the system updates to the newest version and then root your evo (PLEASE NOTE THIS RUU IS FOR EVO ONLY)

grep#AC

Jun 9, 2011
Visit site
Ready to Root

I've been reading, studying, and fretting over the decision to root my EVO, and I'm ready to take the plunge. I am planning to use the unrEVOked method to root, and then to run CyanogenMod7.

In anticipation of more things to play with, I've ordered a larger SD card for additional storage capacity.

My question: Is it more preferrable to a) root now, and then transfer all to the new SD card, or b) wait for the larger SD card to arrive and do everything at once.

If I root prior to the SD's arrival, is it a simple task to move all to the new card?

Thanks!

H

ostrange

May 15, 2010
Visit site
Rooted phone 7 months ago,Want to upgrade but im lost! HELP

I rooted my phone simply to have tethering about 7 months ago and have been asked to update to 3.70.651.1! so i tried that but it didnt work (i guess cause im rooted right?).Now the gingerbread update is out and im totally lost on how to upgrade my root and keepin up to date with everything on this forum.Can someone please direct me on how to do this? ive read the forums but like i said im lost and a newbie in the EVO hackin scene.Thx for your time.

UPDATE - Im pretty sure i used the unrevoked method back then, just in case someone was gonna ask.

Last edited:

igotsanevo4g

Retired Moderator
Jul 31, 2010
Visit site
I've been reading, studying, and fretting over the decision to root my EVO, and I'm ready to take the plunge. I am planning to use the unrEVOked method to root, and then to run CyanogenMod7.

In anticipation of more things to play with, I've ordered a larger SD card for additional storage capacity.

My question: Is it more preferrable to a) root now, and then transfer all to the new SD card, or b) wait for the larger SD card to arrive and do everything at once.

If I root prior to the SD's arrival, is it a simple task to move all to the new card?

Thanks!

H

Its going to be the same either way, move your stuff to your computer and then to the new SD card. Rooting does not wipe your SD card, nor does it take up any space on the SD card though.

I rooted my phone simply to have tethering about 7 months ago and have been asked to update to 3.70.651.1! so i tried that but it didnt work (i guess cause im rooted right?).Now the gingerbread update is out and im totally lost on how to upgrade my root and keepin up to date with everything on this forum.Can someone please direct me on how to do this? ive read the forums but like i said im lost and a newbie in the EVO hackin scene.Thx for your time.

UPDATE - Im pretty sure i used the unrevoked method back then, just in case someone was gonna ask.

Link in my signature to stay rooted and get the gingerbread update.

ostrange

May 15, 2010
Visit site
all this stuff about wimax rsa keys and create a nandroid before flashin is confusing me.I know nothin about it and i definately dont wanna brick my phone.Sorry to be such a newbie!

inav

Jul 19, 2011
Visit site
Re: [Links][FAQ][Guides] Read me! If you want to root / Are roote

When we take the plunge and root and do the nandroid backup, can we simply restore the apps and settings from the backup?

igotsanevo4g

Retired Moderator
Jul 31, 2010
Visit site
You can only nandroid/titanium after rooting. I'm not sure if revolutionary wipes user data, but you can restore apps and such from titanium backups only. Nandroids restore everything- rom, apps, data, everything the way it was when you backed up.

Sent from my Nexus S 4G using Tapatalk

inav

Jul 19, 2011
Visit site

You can only nandroid/titanium after rooting. I'm not sure if revolutionary wipes user data, but you can restore apps and such from titanium backups only. Nandroids restore everything- rom, apps, data, everything the way it was when you backed up.

Thanks igotsanevo4g for the info.
I'm trying to see if I can easily restore the apps and settings after rooting. I want to avoid
wiping everything and beginning from scratch as that is such a pain.
So it's still unclear if, even using titanium backups, we're still going to have to start restoring data from
scratch after rooting. It would save a lot of time and headache if we avoid that part!

inav

Jul 19, 2011
Visit site

Never mind to the question above. I got my answer by simply just going for it. I didn't know that once rooted, I'm not forced to flash a new rom right away but can hang on to the stock rom. That gives me the option of backing up the data and then experimenting with other roms to find the right one. So far so good ... thx to all.

theBIG

Jan 9, 2011
Visit site

This thread doesn't seem very active active anymore, but appears to be the appropriate place for newb-level questions. Hopefully some of you are still checking in!

Evo4G (of course), still stock, rooted a long time ago but never flashed (I think it was around February, and I used unrevoked at the time.) I have root--my wireless tether works, AdFree is working, RootExplorer, etc, etc. I haven't accepted any OTA updates since rooting, so I'm on 3.70.651.1.

However, when I open Terminal Emulator > su > reboot recovery, it tells me "not permitted!" This is the way I typically get to recovery, since the stock rom power menu doesn't offer the option the way many aftermarket roms do, though it's been some time since I used recovery on this phone--lately I've been working on others'. Recovery is Amon-Ra, btw.

Is there any reason some commands would not work? I'm trying to learn, and if anyone can help me troubleshoot, I'd appreciate it. I've been working on an LG Optimus S and Samsung Epic 4G recently, and am finally getting around to where I'm going to start flashing ROMs and testing things out on my own phone--it's due for a fresh start.

Two other questions:
1. Regarding pushing apps to /system/apps... is there any great benefit to this, as opposed to leaving apps in /data/app? I understand that updates to apps in /system/apps would install in /data/apps, but is there any performance benefit to moving apps to /system? Memory savings? Specifically, would moving some apps to /system help with that whole 10% memory left shutdown that the stock Evo likes to drive me nuts with?

2. Is it worth exploring using data2ext, or partitioning the SD card for any reason? EDIT: Looks like data2ext hasn't made it to the Evo yet? (been seeing a lot about it in regards to other phones)

Not expecting anyone to do my research for me, but if you can point me in the right direction if it's a complex issue/answer, I'd appreciate it. Thanks.

Last edited:

igotsanevo4g

Retired Moderator
Jul 31, 2010
Visit site
No real benfit to pushing things to system app unless they need extra permissions. Although you can take out things from system app, like bloat ware to free up space.

I suggest making a nandroid backup, and flashing the latest stock rooted rom, or a custom rom of your choice. You're really missing out :p

Not sure about data2ext honestly, although I know apps2sd works great.

Oh and its su > adb reboot recovery

theBIG

Jan 9, 2011
Visit site

No real benfit to pushing things to system app unless they need extra permissions. Although you can take out things from system app, like bloat ware to free up space.

I suggest making a nandroid backup, and flashing the latest stock rooted rom, or a custom rom of your choice. You're really missing out :p

Not sure about data2ext honestly, although I know apps2sd works great.

Oh and its su > adb reboot recovery

Thanks for your reply! Kind of dead in the Evo forum nowadays... I've been playing around in the Optimus S and Epic 4G areas.

I got CM7 onto my Evo a few days ago (have had it for a long time on my NookColor.) Looking forward to getting it tweaked.

Re: data2ext, it looks like there's a different name for this general idea for nearly every brand, or even ROM. Was reading up on this a bit, repartitioned my ?SD with a 2GB ext3, and found out on CM7 it's as simple as installing the S2E app. Still getting things tweaked and working.

su > adb reboot recovery is for adb on the pc, though--right? I don't believe I've ever entered adb in the Terminal Emulator on the phone, just su > reboot recovery. It's working OK for me now in CM7, I just don't know why it broke on my stock ROM.

igotsanevo4g

Retired Moderator
Jul 31, 2010
Visit site

Oh, you were on terminal emulator i mis-read. Good youre up and running now :p

Rascaldoc

Sep 29, 2011
Visit site

First off, I want to thank you igotsanevo4g! You've put in a lot of time and effort into the EVO root/flash/hack forum.

I'm a noob as you can see. I've rooted my EVO via the unrEVOked method. I basically did this in the hopes of removing all the bullsh...I mean bloat that sprint put on my phone. So far so good on that. What I am really interested in is UNDERCLOCKING my phone. I've read up on setcpu and seems like a good idea/investment as I am not an extremely heavy user and my phone is on standby most of the time. I'm currently using aftermarket 1800 mAh batteries and average 18-26 hours on each charge (depends on usage). I'm a HUGE fan of the sense UI and the widgets so I'm not hot on CM7 or any other popular ROMs.

My question to you today sir, is if I utilize setcpu on my phone will it disrupt or hinder any of the widgets or the stock sense UI ROM?

Hey Medic ..... I don't know if you got your answer here but I rooted two days ago. JUST ROOTED. No extra anything .... except... SetCPU and a battery calibration tool. Normally I was getting almost 5 hours some days with an extended battery. After rooting and doing the SetCPU and battery calibration, the first night I got almost 15 hours hammering the phone. Downloads ... phone calls ... mail ..... All of my sprint stuff, so far, works . I'm not a sprint or a sense fan and plan on switching to one of the custom ROM's like CM7 (will probably be the first ....) but I thought this might help you.:)

Rascaldoc

Sep 29, 2011
Visit site
Now I'm rooted..... HELP

Multi level question here. A thank you to all the people that devote all the time to mainting this thread and others like it FOR SURE is intended and included and especially to igotanevo.

I have flashed cm7, the newest stable version, and love it. Only took me a week and a half to get it correct with everything working. Apps are almost where I want them.

If I flash miui? mui? another AOSP based rom based on cm7, will I have to reinstall and relocate to screens my apps or will they ?come over?. And if I try another ROM, and want to go back to cm7 as I have it now, will flashing clockworkmod before I leave cm7 now, restore it ?as is? or just restore and I have to redo apps screens etc.

(I would think I already knew this but do not. Several ?wrong moves? caused me to have to reinstall cm7, and when I did the reinstall, I was right back at stock Sprint, but rooted.)

I used ROM MANAGER and Titanium ro to arrive here so I have those. Also, how do I check to make sure I have the newest radio?s etc ?.

Thanks for any and all help anyone wants to pitch this way

Last edited: