HTC Mail vs Gmail vs ?

jnl813

Jun 21, 2010
Visit site
Just curious as to what you guys out there are using..do you prefer Gmail or using HTC's email for your Gmail? I know theres a workaround on how to get HTC to be push with Gmail, and I am considering this becuase of the awesome HTC widget..let me know what you guys are using, and if this is worth it.;) Or are you guys using anything else that you think is better for Gmail?

I am trying it now, but I am noticing that when it sends or even receives an email, it syncs...this might be an issue because it looks like it might use more battery than regular gmail app...any suggestions?

CaptGeno

Oct 5, 2010
Visit site
i use gmail..have been on gmail since its "beta" times, works alot better than other email services in my opinion, syncs all your contacts from your phone to gmail, thats a plus on my book. i tried using the mail app on the phone with my hotmail, and didnt like it at all. but give them a shot and try it out see what you like.

Tre Lawrence

May 13, 2010
Visit site
Move back and forth between Gmail and K9. Right now, I use Gmail.

BTW, Android Gmail app does push. K9 is based off of the Gmail app.

PM-Performance

Jun 23, 2010
Visit site
I forget all the reasons I do not use Gmail anymore, but I switched to HTC mail app awhile ago.
Gmail has always been a little buggy for me.
HTC mail allows me to set peak/offpeak times too which is nice when you dont want to get woken up all night because of your bank and ebay and whatever else decides to email you nightly at like 3-4am.

jnl813

Jun 21, 2010
Visit site
I didnt mean Gmail vs Hotmail..or yahoo... i mean an app for Gmail, or something like that, I have heard alot about this K-9 mail ( which I know uses Gmail) but what are the BIG features of this?

JaxChris

Aug 16, 2010
Visit site
I just installed CM7 last night, first time with CM, and I already miss the HTC Mail app.

Before I used the Gmail app (with Gmail Unread Count in the market) and had all my other accounts in HTC Mail (Exchange, Yahoo's, AOL's, etc). The HTC Mail app has folder and move support on all account types. The regular Android mail app does not, and nothing on the market is quite as good. Plus, the HTC app works with Yahoo, AOL, etc without having to be a "Plus" user of all those services. The latest versions of the Android apps do three things I don't care for:

1. No longer allows non-Plus accounts to login.
2. Supports & enforces Exchange device administration plugins.
3. No move support in Exchange or any other account types.

The woman's Epic finally has that ability in the Samsung variant of the app, but that too can't be installed on a ROM without also installing TouchWiz.

Looks like I'll have to go back to a ROM with Sense installed. Really wish HTC would put their mail app on the market like they did with the original version (called Work Mail).

If HTC made their mail app support multiple Exchange accounts, I would likely use it for Gmail as well because (as stated above) the HTC mail app allows you to set when you don't want it to receive.

Granted, in CM7 it supports Quiet Time to prevent audible alerts when you don't want them but it isn't the same as telling it to just stop.

And the only real bug in HTC Mail that I would like to see fixed is the Exchange daily check bug. Let's say you like to have your work email not check at all on your days off. Well you can tell it to do Manual, but it will still check once a day. The problem is that once a day check that you can never stop from happening is based on the exact time the account was created in the app. I had added my work account after a reformat one night at 3 in the morning and for a long time couldn't figure out why my phone was pulling my work email at 3am every night no matter what I did to stop it. Finally deleted and remade the account at 5pm and it started happening at 5pm everyday it was set for manual. Not as annoying, but still stupid that it isn't fixed.

giograves

Feb 12, 2011
Visit site
If had the ability to delete a SINGLE message in a conversation on the gmail app, i wouldn't be looking for an alternative.

Last edited:

Tre Lawrence

May 13, 2010
Visit site
If had the ability to delete a SINGLE message in a conversation on the gmail app, i wouldn't be looking for an alternative.

Yep... I hear ya. You can do it with K9.

I just got used to archiving... also like the Gmail app for the seamless IMAP mirroring. I can also send from multiple identities.