Rooting Evo on Mac

bdotcampbell

Mar 5, 2011
Visit site
I want to root my Evo on my Mac, I just have a 2 questions first.

Does anyone have step by step directions on how to root my phone?

Once rooted am I able to unroot if something goes wrong or I don't like it?

Appreciate all the help!!! :)

Airwolf79

Jan 14, 2011
Visit site
I used z4 first to create a backup (nandroid). Then I rooted with Unrevoked 3. It's basically a one click root. I am a super noob though, so I'm still trying to figure out how to flash roms. I'm a little skeptical using Unrevoked though because it just seems too easy, especially after seeing all the steps you have to go through in other methods using Windows. Can a veteran shed some light on this subject? Are there better or more reliable ways to root using a mac?

madflasher

Feb 21, 2011
Visit site
yes using mac eliminates a step using unrevoked info...disregard second part of step 2 (if using MAC). it is that easy.

follow directions exactly all should go well, if so be ready to do some flashing.

check back in forums for more questions there are a lot of folks willing to help.

also disregard the dates unrevoked has been updated to work on current models.

Airwolf79

Jan 14, 2011
Visit site
Cool. I did successfully flash a rom manually, but I wasn't able to do it using rom manager. In clockwork it just kept saying file not found. Any tips on that?

Sent from my EVO using ~Tapatalk~

madflasher

Feb 21, 2011
Visit site
Cool. I did successfully flash a rom manually, but I wasn't able to do it using rom manager. In clockwork it just kept saying file not found. Any tips on that?

Sent from my EVO using ~Tapatalk~

clockwork? how did you download the zip of rom from a computer then transfer to root of card or directly from phone?

if from comp the file u transfer must be zipped (unopened) if on mac check trash can.

if downloaded directly from phone...while in recovery nand backup first, then check a folder called downloads....then wipe data/factory reset, then scroll to advanced wipe dalvik cache-hit yes, then at top of that list hit reboot recovery wait for it to take...then go to install zip, find your rom zip..choose yes. it should download wait for it...when done reboot system it should take a few minutes to load up..

Last edited:

ronni85

Aug 31, 2010
Visit site
hi i have a mac and just rooted my phone today and i want to flash so i can get the fresh rom but have no clue how to do it. i've googled it and watched youtube but i mostly find that they're either out of date or for windows. i had a pre before my evo and it was way more simple with homebrew so if theres an updated link or anybody that can break it down step by step for a newbie it'd be greatly appreciated thanks in advance!

QuasarZ

Apr 29, 2010
Visit site
hi i have a mac and just rooted my phone today and i want to flash so i can get the fresh rom but have no clue how to do it. i've googled it and watched youtube but i mostly find that they're either out of date or for windows. i had a pre before my evo and it was way more simple with homebrew so if theres an updated link or anybody that can break it down step by step for a newbie it'd be greatly appreciated thanks in advance!

So I had serious trouble rooting with mac so I ended up going with my old windows to root. Then I tried downloading roms on my mac (ZIP files) but the mac automatically un-zips them and puts it in a folder. So lets say you download a zip called plutonium.zip, mac will download and unzip and now the folder will just be called plutonium. What I figured out was once that is downloaded, right click (must have right clicked enabled on mac) and then hit compress. It will re-zip it and now you can use that to put in root of sd card.
Check this link out, http://androidforums.com/evo-4g-all-things-root/194918-rooting-dummies.html

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
pierre5463