i've been researching

Mar 6, 2011
Visit site
i've had me EVO for about a few weeks now and i have been reading a lot of post and doing all the research that i possibly can. but i don't think ill ever take the steps into rooting, just seem way to over whelming and far to complicated. i also don't see a true purpose to go and root, like nothing truly worth while (yet at least)

unlike the iOS jailbreaking (which i don't know to much about) where you get free apps, i don't see the point with rooting. i am trying day by day to read up all the post that i can and possibly grasp the aspect of it, its just far to complicated and i wouldn't wanna flood these boards with overly asked noobish post. all of the tutorials and help post do seem good but are also lacking a lot of info for super noobs like my self.

maybe later down the road when i have a better understanding ill take that step but i will admit i am quit intimidated with all this rooting stuff. . . i just hope i get with the program sooner then what i feel i will lol

but over all this site is awesome and the droid world is far more advance then the nextel internal (software mods) and external mods i use to do back in the days

non the less this site is awesome and a great source for learning

Tonay

Dec 5, 2010
Visit site
I felt the same way you are feeling now when i first joined this site about rooting but the people on this site are real good helpers they basically walked me through the rooting process. Rooting is really worth it cause their is alot of amazing ROMS out there but just do it when you feel like doing it i mean it took me about 2 weeks to finally do it and don't be scared to ask questions :D

Welcome to A.C!!

MaxO

Jul 27, 2010
Visit site
i think what you need to do is enjoy and get bored of the evo for a while and then consider rooting when you get bored of it to change things up. at least thats why i rooted honestly.. the roms are addictive. i rooted with unrevoked and it literally took 3 seconds and isnt very confusing or intensive at all. the only "experience" i have is putting patches and things on my palm pre.

buti guess what im saying is Dont be scared of the root. Embrace it. But at the same time read the forums and know what your doing. :)

illwood

Jun 13, 2010
Visit site
Since you have only had the EVO for a few weeks, I would say that you are making an informed decision to keep it stock and just keep learning all of the features and frustrations.

If you come to a point where you can increase the features and/or decrease the frustrations enough by rooting, then it becomes worth it.

dpg

Jun 8, 2010
Visit site
Since you have only had the EVO for a few weeks, I would say that you are making an informed decision to keep it stock and just keep learning all of the features and frustrations.

If you come to a point where you can increase the features and/or decrease the frustrations enough by rooting, then it becomes worth it.

I agree and I too was at a point where the more i read the more confused I became about rooting. I finally bit the bullet and just jumped in. I rooted using unrevoked and was afraid to at first because it said forever. but did a little more reading on here that you can reverse that. so on i went to root.

After about 2 days i started reading more about ROMs, got confused about that too, lol. then kinda jumped into it and it all started to make sense. download the rom manager and use the "training wheels" called clockwork recovery. Once i got frustrated with some of the issues with using clockwork i turned to RA recovery. haven't looked back to clockwork recovery since. I am switching between 2-3 roms right now and just playing round with what i like and don't like.

also, people here and on xda are great at getting back to you. you run into the occasional sarcasm and smart a$$ responses but just brush it off because most of it is in good fun. everyone was a noob at some point. I still am but try to read as much as i can and search in a few different ways about an issue before asking questions.

good luck and rooting isn't really as scary as you think.

Mar 6, 2011
Visit site
so okay i see a lot of people brining up ROMS is that basically another word for OS because from what i've read thats what i am getting about the whole ROM deal, but im confused because back in my kid days to me ROM meant video games as in EMULATORS and ROMS (NES, SNES, GENIUS, ETC)

and whats the revoked and unrevoked stuff?

when i use to mess with nextels software and use programs like myjal and all that stuff "FLASHING" to me was like when you would flash the phone to upload some software mods, here i get another meaning for it of it

mgianni19

Sep 29, 2010
Visit site
Marty-

I felt the same exact way at first, but then I wanted to get the best out of my phone.

I went with the Unrevoked method. It's absolutely the most painless way to root your evo. You download the program, plug your phone into the computer, hit start, let it do it's thing and then you're done. You're phone is rooted and looks stock. Then if you want you can get into flashing custom ROMs and stuff like that.

But if you do anything I highly recommend the Unrevoked way for no hassle.

mr.seth.price

May 18, 2010
Visit site
I was the same way and jumped this morning. So far so good and loving it. Though I had the phone and learned it inside and out for 10 months before I took the plunge.

Mar 6, 2011
Visit site
Marty-

I felt the same exact way at first, but then I wanted to get the best out of my phone.

I went with the Unrevoked method. It's absolutely the most painless way to root your evo. You download the program, plug your phone into the computer, hit start, let it do it's thing and then you're done. You're phone is rooted and looks stock. Then if you want you can get into flashing custom ROMs and stuff like that.

But if you do anything I highly recommend the Unrevoked way for no hassle.

whats the difference with revoked and unrevoked?

DETERMINOLOGY

Jan 17, 2011
Visit site
i've had me EVO for about a few weeks now and i have been reading a lot of post and doing all the research that i possibly can. but i don't think ill ever take the steps into rooting, just seem way to over whelming and far to complicated. i also don't see a true purpose to go and root, like nothing truly worth while (yet at least)

unlike the iOS jailbreaking (which i don't know to much about) where you get free apps, i don't see the point with rooting. i am trying day by day to read up all the post that i can and possibly grasp the aspect of it, its just far to complicated and i wouldn't wanna flood these boards with overly asked noobish post. all of the tutorials and help post do seem good but are also lacking a lot of info for super noobs like my self.

maybe later down the road when i have a better understanding ill take that step but i will admit i am quit intimidated with all this rooting stuff. . . i just hope i get with the program sooner then what i feel i will lol

but over all this site is awesome and the droid world is far more advance then the nextel internal (software mods) and external mods i use to do back in the days

non the less this site is awesome and a great source for learning
I felt the same way at first when ive gotten the htc evo and i was kinda skep that i was going to brick my phone but from reading i saw its advantages in rooting so i went with it and never looked back