Nandroid backup vs. Titanium backup

jaileer

Aug 6, 2010
Visit site
Hello all,

I just rooted and I'm preparing to do a backup, but I'm a bit confused on nandroid vs titanium. What's the difference? Should I do both, or will one or the other suffice? I downloaded Titanium and, of course, i'm not certain which things to backup. I think i read somewhere NOT to backup the settings...but i'm not sure.

Any help would be appreciated, thanks!

wallaceb

Dec 23, 2010
Visit site
titanium will back up only applications and their respective settings to your SD card.

a nandriod backup literally makes a complete image of the contents of your phone (Operating System, Applications, user settings... everything).

i personally use both. I make nandriod backups before i flash anything (theme, add on, kernel, ect..) but i also use titanium to back up all my apps in case on gets messed up (which has happened).

in addition, titanium is nice when changing between two different ROMS. when you install the new ROm titanium backup will restore your apps and their settings, so you do not loose any saved levels on games (angry birds) for example.

Reactions: jaileer

jaileer

Aug 6, 2010
Visit site
Thanks for the reply, that's very helpful! When you do a titanium backup do you just focus on apps and ignore stuff like "accounts and sync"?

Yourdogsdead

May 15, 2010
Visit site
I always just backed up my apps. Sometimes, depending on the ROM, carrying over Sync settings can cause issues. I always just put it back in manually. I have all my contacts synced with Google also.

jaileer

Aug 6, 2010
Visit site
Well, i selected my apps and they said "backed up" but after i wiped and installed CM7, i tried to install my apps and they were all *there* but they all had a line through them.

After some digging I went to my SDcard/Titaniumbackup folder and they all had a file size of 0.00B.

Lesson learned: check file size in folder before doing a full wipe. If this is the worst thing that happens during my first root/wipe, i'll consider myself lucky!

Shootin4aces

Oct 15, 2010
Visit site
There is a huge difference between these 2 types of back up and each is used for a different purpose. It is EXTREMELY IMPORTANT that you do both but most important of all you need to do the nandroid backup!!!

A nandroid back up backs up your entire phone, and by entire i mean every square detail!!! It backs up everything to the sd card and is your LIFESAVER if anything ever goes wrong when flashing a new rom or tweaking your rooted evo in any way. With having superuser status on a rooted evo it gives you the ability to break things or install incorrect things that will cause your device to have major issues that could be very well unfixable after you have done them. your should make a nadroid backup before you flash any rom or make any kind of non-normal changes to your phone. If you do this and things mess up you can the just reload your nandroid back up and restore your phone to a working condition before you or some program messed it up. IT IS YOUR LIFESAVER

On the other hand thats all it is good for really. it only does a complete system restore. If you do a nandroid back up and then flash a custom rom you will not be able to access any of the information in the nandroid to restore into the new rom. It only does a complete restore and thats it.

Titanium back up is the exact opposite as it backs system information up in a way that it is accessible after you have put on a custom rom. your can restore apps and there data as well as anything else you like that is compatible with the new rom. On the other hand, if things get screwed up, it will be of almost no value to you to fix what has happened, without having the nandroid you are screwed.

Personally i make a nandroid before every flash, i keep my very first and most recent nandroids on my phone at all times, but i also have every single one i have ever made on my computer in case my micro SD decides to crap out on me. also before i do anything i make sure my apps are updated in the market and then use titanium backup to back up all of my apps and app data. lastly I use my back up pro to back up anything else i want saved.... i do not however back up my contacts or calender as i have all that info on google and there is no reason to. after i flash a rom i download titanium from the market and then restore the rest of my apps, sign into google and get all that info restored, and then use by back up pro to restore anything else.

needless to say, i felt it was important to explain the difference and i hope you get to read it before you go to far!!!

best of luck and hit thanks if this helped :)

dave84krueger

Mar 22, 2011
Visit site
I downloaded titanium backup on my evo but it's no nowhere to be seen, really starting to wish I just went with an iPhone. Between rooting working like **** and downloads not showing up, I'm losing faith in Android.

Klubhead

Jul 25, 2010
Visit site
I always just backed up my apps. Sometimes, depending on the ROM, carrying over Sync settings can cause issues. I always just put it back in manually. I have all my contacts synced with Google also.

agreed, i only use titanium to backup apps.. data, like contacts, can resync on its' own through your google account.

IMO definitely do both before you wipe/flash, titanium backup all apps you'd like to keep, nandroid before you wipe, then flash away :cool:

obliq74

Dec 7, 2010
Visit site
Data wipe & backup

I am about to do a data wipe. Once wiped, how do I get my Superuser permissions and get to my Nandroid backup? I don't want to wipe until I know how to do this. Please advise. Thanks!

bb_batman_dcx

Jun 30, 2010
Visit site
I am about to do a data wipe. Once wiped, how do I get my Superuser permissions and get to my Nandroid backup? I don't want to wipe until I know how to do this. Please advise. Thanks!

when you wipe....your ROM stays...just all of your homescreens, apps, settings, etc. get erased. to get to your nandroid backup you have to reboot into recovery. depending on the ROM, you can hold your power button, select reboot, then recovery. or just power down completely, then hold volume down and power then choose recovery. then choose Nandroid or Backup/Restore (depending on the custom recovery you are using)

you will still have Superuser capabilities....you just need to give the apps the permissions again...once you start them up, they'll ask you for permission.

o and your gonna need to re-download Titanium Backup after you wipe....you'll still have the TI backup folder on your SD card so once its dl'd again you'll be able to restore anything you backed up with it

Reactions: obliq74

obliq74

Dec 7, 2010
Visit site
you will still have Superuser capabilities....you just need to give the apps the permissions again...once you start them up, they'll ask you for permission.

I have stock 2.2 ROM. Have been to chicken to flash any other ROMs. The reason I am doing a data wipe is because my internal memory is all the way down to 13MB and I have absolutely no idea what is taking up all the memory. I have pushed any and all apps that can be put on the SD card to the card, and I still have no memory. I can't download any more apps, even to the card because I get an error saying the app failed to load due to memory.

When I do the data wipe with my stock ROM, I will be able to see the Superuser ninja icon immediately after, or will I have to reboot into recovery and get the Nandroid backup first? I know I sound like an idiot, but I want to be sure I know what I'm doing and you guys seem to know your stuff. I'd even appreciate a step-by-step instruct from wipe to recovery if you had the time. I have Titanium Backup pro, Android 2.2, Clockwork Mod with Nandroid backup. Please advise. Thanks!

s2law

Dec 8, 2013
Visit site
You can free up heaps of storage space by deleting all the log files in the device memory. Just dial *#9900# on the phone and select option 2 ?Delete dumpstate/logcat? in the prompted menu. It's not necessary to root your phone either.

This worked brilliantly on a friends S3.

redrover69

Aug 27, 2013
Visit site
s2law

What do you think of like gobackup pro? Seems quick and easy for backup and restore...cleaner ui...

Like the op said all Im tryin to do is backup my sms, call logs, app data and apks so when my phone take a crap or I wanna flash a new rom I can restore it almost like nothing ever happened.

I use google to backup contacts calandar and emails. My photos are on 64gb sd card and duplicated on dropbox.

Thanks