I need to unroot for a return :(

EvilMonkey

Jun 4, 2010
Visit site
My charging/USB port is broken (if I fiddle it I can get it to charge though). Anyways, I called and they're going to swap the phone out.

So I am assuming I need to unroot before I take it in? Or am I being paranoid? I already flashed back to my original setup (which is all customized with Launcher Pro and stuff though...but it's not using a custom ROM like CyanogenMod or anything right now).

Anyways, I'm dying trying to figure out how to do this.

I used Unrevoked 3 to root. I have no idea what the difference between "3" and "Forever" is and the more research I try to do about how to unroot the more lost I get.

Ideally I'd like to just unroot and keep all my data since they said at the store they'd could do a data transfer , but I guess it's no big deal since I have everything backed up with Titanium and Appbrain and I can just re-download everything if need be.

Anyways, I found the sticky at the top of the thread (the RUU method) but does that work if I used Unrevoked?

Sigh....I am completely lost at this point on what I need to do. The more I research the more confused I become.

Last edited:

EvilMonkey

Jun 4, 2010
Visit site
I think I got it...not sure.

When I boot into HBOOT, I now see S-ON, so I think that means I'm not rooted. Right?

However, I still see the Superuser app in my drawer.

I think I'll just take it in. If they say something or won't exchange it, I'll just buy an extra battery and a battery charger.

Shootin4aces

Oct 15, 2010
Visit site
If you already have everything backed up with titanium to your sd card then go ahead and finish the job!!! follow the link below and flash back to complete stock. If you are S-on that is great, you are unrooted!!! but your device will not be accepted for a warranty return without being back to stock and if you still have the super user app then they know you were rooted!!!! I just had my launch day evo replaced under sprint TEP/Warranty and i followed the information on the link below and everything worked great.... if they are going to replace it you might as well get it replaced, who really wants to mess with a broken USB/charging port????

If this was helpful please hit thanks, if you have more questions just ask

Heres the link-skip the first step as you are already s-on

Unrooting - Evorootwiki

Reactions: DougBlossom

EvilMonkey

Jun 4, 2010
Visit site
^ Grrrr...tried that.

When rebooting into bootloader, it finds my file, does this long thing with a bar on the right, then says "checking PC36IMG.zip" for a bit, then never prompts me for anything. It just goes back into bootloader. Guess I'll have to try another file...maybe the one I used it bad.

I'll do it tonite and post back.

EvilMonkey

Jun 4, 2010
Visit site
Ahhh...finally got it. I could not get the RUU method in the sticky to work (would never find my phone) and renaming those RUUs to PC36IMG.zip and putting them on the SD card didn't work. Finally found a link here with a valid PC36IMG.zip file that worked: I want to unroot my evo where is correct ruu? - Android Forums

Whew...back to unrooted stock. Good ol' Sense.

Is there anything else I should do before I return it? Is it going to raise any flags if I'm completely back to stock with no apps or anything? Guess now they can't prove I was rooted, right? So I guess it doesn't really matter.

Now if my replacement Evo would just get in. Store was supposed to get them by today, but I guess the shipment didn't get there.

Shootin4aces

Oct 15, 2010
Visit site
download the most current version from the site, make sure you download the zip and not the md5 or file folder or exe.... I used the 2nd link from the bottom on the site it sends you to to download the stock RUU.... also rename the zip and make sure it is not pc36img.zip.zip..... after you rename (if you have windows) right click the file and go to properties and make sure the it is not zip.zip... if it is that it will not work. after you do everything be patient, let it do its thing for a lil while and see if things work.... if this does not work for you i will try to find you another method if i can but this worked flawlessly for me

Best of luck and if this works hit thanks :)

EDIT: looks like you fixed the issue while i was typing this...lol... glad you got it!!! and no, you are fine as it is right now.... that is exactly how i returned mine and there were no issues at all!!!! they will have no idea/proof you rooted!!!

Last edited:

DETERMINOLOGY

Jan 17, 2011
Visit site
My charging/USB port is broken (if I fiddle it I can get it to charge though). Anyways, I called and they're going to swap the phone out.

So I am assuming I need to unroot before I take it in? Or am I being paranoid? I already flashed back to my original setup (which is all customized with Launcher Pro and stuff though...but it's not using a custom ROM like CyanogenMod or anything right now).

Anyways, I'm dying trying to figure out how to do this.

I used Unrevoked 3 to root. I have no idea what the difference between "3" and "Forever" is and the more research I try to do about how to unroot the more lost I get.

Ideally I'd like to just unroot and keep all my data since they said at the store they'd could do a data transfer , but I guess it's no big deal since I have everything backed up with Titanium and Appbrain and I can just re-download everything if need be.

Anyways, I found the sticky at the top of the thread (the RUU method) but does that work if I used Unrevoked?

Sigh....I am completely lost at this point on what I need to do. The more I research the more confused I become.
http://forum.androidcentral.com/htc...turn-stock-after-using-unrevoked-forever.html

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
fancyfranci