Flashing Kernals - Best Practices?

jaileer

Aug 6, 2010
Visit site
I've been able to find a lot of information on kernal - HAVS/noHAVS, SB, CFS/BFS, etc. but what I have *not* been able to find is a list of best practices to follow to get the best out of your kernal.

Should you flash a kernal on a full battery? at any time? what do do *after* flashing a kernal? reboot a couple times? let your battery run completely out to "condition" it?

Any ideas or resources anyone has would be great, thanks!

SmokeCrawler

Jul 23, 2010
Visit site
I personally flash it when my battery is full and then leave it on charge and go into recovery and wipe battery stats. Once it is done wiping and rebooted I then unplug it from the charger.

But that is mostly for the battery though.

Every time I have flashed a kernel without doing anything special, I have never notice anything different.

Reactions: jaileer

TWC_SouthPhilly

Jun 6, 2010
Visit site
I read somewhere(I think MIUI's forums) that you were suppose to wipe battery stats before flashing a kernel. As far as I can remember it didn't give a reason other than a nice clean start.

MIUI is very touchy about wipes and all. And with the new GB kernels more than ever now. So I have just gottin into the habit of doing it when ever I just flash a kernel.

Sent from my MIUI havin, Gingerbread Throwing EVO

jaileer

Aug 6, 2010
Visit site
Nice - thanks! I'm gonna flash one of those fancy savaged-zen kernals i keep hearing about! I'm running CM7 nightly 31 and my battery was dead by 11am this morning. I'm hoping a new kernal can save me!

igotsanevo4g

Retired Moderator
Jul 31, 2010
Visit site
yeah youre supposed to wipe cache and dalvik cache before flashing kernels. BUT, most kernels have a built in script that wipes them for you so its all good :p

I wipe battery stats if i have like 40% batt, reboot and it says i have 52% then i wipe em cause i know something is up. But usually just wiping the batt stats after every rom switch is sufficient for me.

XCypserX

Dec 15, 2010
Visit site
Try Tiamat's kernel as well. A lot of people have said that it is a lot smoother and has better battery life than Savaged-Zen. However I personally don't see much of a difference between the two. Both are great kernels. Just giving you another option! :D

TWC_SouthPhilly

Jun 6, 2010
Visit site
Try Tiamat's kernel as well. A lot of people have said that it is a lot smoother and has better battery life than Savaged-Zen. However I personally don't see much of a difference between the two. Both are great kernels. Just giving you another option! :D

Tiamats is what's baked into the lastest MIUI GB build. So far I'm lovin it, good to great battery life and really snappy. This is the first time in a long time that I haven't overclocked my CPU. Haven't really felt the need to.

XCypserX

Dec 15, 2010
Visit site
Really? That's pretty cool, i didn't know that. That's good news for Tiamats. I haven't really messed with my CPU, i've only changed the governor that came with the kernel.

XCypserX

Dec 15, 2010
Visit site
There have been some battery life problems in the last to builds of Tiamats. But they will be fixed in v3.3.3 which should be released tonight.

jaileer

Aug 6, 2010
Visit site
Thanks for the tips. I flashed savaged zen and it's actually choppier than before and the battery still sucks. I'll give Tiamats a whirl!

SouthPhilly, how long have you been on MIUI? The whole "closed source from Chinese devs" thing wirries me a little, but it looks like an interesting rom.

TWC_SouthPhilly

Jun 6, 2010
Visit site
There have been some battery life problems in the last to builds of Tiamats. But they will be fixed in v3.3.3 which should be released tonight.

I will be looking for this update. This kernel is great on my EVO. Best GB kernel I've tried.

TWC_SouthPhilly

Jun 6, 2010
Visit site
Thanks for the tips. I flashed savaged zen and it's actually choppier than before and the battery still sucks. I'll give Tiamats a whirl!

SouthPhilly, how long have you been on MIUI? The whole "closed source from Chinese devs" thing wirries me a little, but it looks like an interesting rom.

I've been using MIUI as my every day ROM for a couple of months now. And have been playing around with it since 1.2.???. Other than some of the earlier builds being a bit buggy from time to time its been a complete pleasure using this rom.

It's still missing 4g, but even though I live and work in center city Philadelphia and our 4g coverage is really good. I couldn't tell you the last time I used it. Just about everywhere I go be it home, work, family's houses or even out around town I can find a solid wifi connection to jump on. So I'm not really missing it.

As for it being closed source and from a Chinese dev... isn't Microsoft closed source and alot of people still use it. And on the devs being from a... well lets say a closed source nation.... what's not to trust?!?!?! LoL.

Just cause its closed source doesn't mean the devs are out to steal your info or cause your device or you harm. From what I gather being closed source really just gives the devs some protection for all of the work they put into there rom. Isn't closed source kind of like copyrighting? I could be wrong, just going on what info I've been able to find here and there.

I look at it like this.... as I see it I'm not really that important and don't keep the much personal info stored on my device. And on things like android storing our passwords to email accounts and web sites passwords in the open, you just have to be careful. Even if your running a completely stock device. I never do things like go to my banks web site on my phone, even using an app. You just have to be smart.

Even Google has jumped on the closed source bandwagon and has decided to keep Honeycomb 3.0 & 3.1 closed source for now. So it is what it is.

Again I could be completely wrong on all this, and if anyone else can shed some more light on what "closed source" really means in this case I would love to learn more.

teejay89

Mar 2, 2011
Visit site
So I've already got the .zip for netarchy 4.3.4 HAVS-more SBC on my SD card and I just went to CM7 RC4... should I be good going with that? I've seen a lot about SZ and tiamat being a little better for that ROM, but I've loved netarchy with VaelPak 3.2

SSjon

Feb 10, 2011
Visit site
So I've already got the .zip for netarchy 4.3.4 HAVS-more SBC on my SD card and I just went to CM7 RC4... should I be good going with that? I've seen a lot about SZ and tiamat being a little better for that ROM, but I've loved netarchy with VaelPak 3.2

That is a sense kernel, you can't use that on AOSP

Reactions: teejay89

dany8907

Dec 21, 2010
Visit site
...doh didn't think that one quite through.

Any recommendation for a good AOSP kernel?

Savage Zen

Its what I been using for the past couple months. I really like where the devs are taking this kernel.

I don't know if your into SBC or not but last night around 7 60% left with moderate use, took it off the charger around 8 that morning.
Amazing battery life.

Sent from my HTC EVO 4G using Tapatalk

teejay89

Mar 2, 2011
Visit site
Savage Zen

Its what I been using for the past couple months. I really like where the devs are taking this kernel.

I don't know if your into SBC or not but last night around 7 60% left with moderate use, took it off the charger around 8 that morning.
Amazing battery life.

Sent from my HTC EVO 4G using Tapatalk

I had flashed 1.0.1 (and yes, I absolutely love SBC, heat be damned) with pooooor results on CM7 earlier. Switched to a different GB ROM that's been a little more stable for me and I'm running it, just had a 30+ minute phone call and lost like 4 or 5% battery, so not bad. I'm gonna give SZ a shot tomorrow at work and if it's not that good I'm gonna try Tiamat. I just wish I could use my Netarchy on GB :/ I could make it through an 8 hour work day with 30-50% battery left, but I like GB too much to go back (but I'm keeping my VaelPak 3.2 backup for good)

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Chelrie