Anyone working on rooting the new GB OTA?

jasonblanco

Nov 18, 2009
Visit site
Rookie mistake - I updated without thinking about it preventing rooting.

I presume someone's working on rooting the latest update. Will it make the forums here, or should I be watching the XDA site?

jasonblanco

Nov 18, 2009
Visit site
Just hope it doesn't take as long as the Froyo version did.

Oh crap. I should probably temper my expectations! I was naively hoping it'd be a week or two.

I just bought this Evo in March, so I have no idea how long it took on the Froyo update. I was still stretching out the life of a Hero running CM6.

SmokeCrawler

Jul 23, 2010
Visit site
For the Froyo version, the first way was to downgrade to 2.1 and then root and then install the rooted 2.2. Way more steps then there is now for 2.2. Hopefully that won't be the case for some. I think it took ( I'm really not positive on the time frame here) about 3 months I wan't to say for Unrevoked to come out for a root method for 2.2.

PM-Performance

Jun 23, 2010
Visit site
Im surprised you were able to break root soo easily and by mistake.
I was purposely trying to get the damn update to break root because i am getting the 3D and trading my evo in.
I had to go through the headache of finding the RUU and going back to a stock rom and then doing other updates to get this update. Wasnt an easy task by any means.

jasonblanco

Nov 18, 2009
Visit site
I wasn't rooted. I was just planning to remain on stock until I had the time to research ROMs and root the phone. Looks like I'll have time soon, which is why I regret updating right away.

Now I have no choice but to wait patiently for some kind developer to post root instructions for the GB update.

Nate79

Jan 27, 2011
Visit site
I know this is the wrong spot, but I really want to avoid this update and root my Evo. I'm just unsure about which, of the million how to threads out there, is the best one for me to use. I would consider myself to be pretty good with technology, but I've never modified anything in this manner before. I posted in the Root thread also, but I just want to get all the info I can get, and I've been reading this forum since I got my Evo in January, and I have seen how helpful and patient the people that hang here are and I wanted to ask you guys.

jasonblanco

Nov 18, 2009
Visit site
I know this is the wrong spot, but I really want to avoid this update and root my Evo. I'm just unsure about which, of the million how to threads out there, is the best one for me to use. I would consider myself to be pretty good with technology, but I've never modified anything in this manner before. I posted in the Root thread also, but I just want to get all the info I can get, and I've been reading this forum since I got my Evo in January, and I have seen how helpful and patient the people that hang here are and I wanted to ask you guys.

I wish I could give advice from experience. I want the option to root but don't have it. A few weeks ago I did look into arguments against unrevoked. If memory serves there was concern about closed nature of the unrevoked methods and uncertainty about potential issues it can cause for your phone. Otherwise, the stickies in the Rooting forums had some detailed instructions about longer, hands-on methods that I'd intended to follow.

Reactions: Nate79

SmokeCrawler

Jul 23, 2010
Visit site
The main argument was that Unrevoked never said how they go about rooting. So when people did get stuck there was no way of helping them out.

The plus side of doing it yourself from the sticky thread is that if you do get stuck there is help. Also a major plus is that you learn how to do things and not rely on a program. So in the event you need help with getting your phone working before of some type of negative impact you will have an understanding what is being said or a way to do it.

With that said, that is why I'm a believer of people not using Rom Manager at first so they can get familiar with backing up, flashing, or whatever else from their recovery. Once familiar then yeah use as much as you want.

Reactions: Nate79

Nate79

Jan 27, 2011
Visit site
Thanks to both of you! I'll read through all of the stickies here. I do like the idea of being walked through step by step. I'm more of a hands on person, and I want to know why something is doing what it's doing and what to expect and what to do if it doesn't work. I'm really excited to experiment with rooting, I've read so many great reasons to do it and reasons to avoid the OTA updates and preloaded software.

SmokeCrawler

Jul 23, 2010
Visit site
The sticky that thefredelement has is a good one. There is screenshots of what is happening so you don't feel so left in the dark. Plus you get to save your apps + data before rooting so you don't lose them.

bzxzlg

Jun 5, 2010
Visit site
Flash a custom recovery (I'm using clockwork mod) then flash root package - bada-big-bada-boom ... You're rooted ... cheers

ProCision

Feb 3, 2011
Visit site
The sticky that thefredelement has is a good one. There is screenshots of what is happening so you don't feel so left in the dark. Plus you get to save your apps + data before rooting so you don't lose them.

For my first root ever I would do it the long way and do thefredelement's "how to" because you will actually learn how to root and then every time after that I would do this
[ROOT] ~~~ HTC EVO - Universal Auto Root ~~~ v2.5 (4/25/11) - xda-developers

Its an auto root script and there is a youtube vid you can play at the same time it is auto rooting. Both vid and script take the same amount of time.

igotsanevo4g

Retired Moderator
Jul 31, 2010
Visit site
Getting root for this update isnt really a problem, "gingerbreak" should work for it as "rageagainstthecage" script/exploit worked for froyo. BUT this update came with a new bootloader, which means until this bootloader is cracked, roms are not possible for those who would like to root.

Ill play around with gingerbreak and see if i can make an easy script or something for it to get root on 2.3 evo's. No promises.

bb_batman_dcx

Jun 30, 2010
Visit site
Getting root for this update isnt really a problem, "gingerbreak" should work for it as "rageagainstthecage" script/exploit worked for froyo. BUT this update came with a new bootloader, which means until this bootloader is cracked, roms are not possible for those who would like to root.

Ill play around with gingerbreak and see if i can make an easy script or something for it to get root on 2.3 evo's. No promises.

even tho I'm already rooted, this will help when people ask about it. thanx man and good luck

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jcl678