New to rooting, gingerbread 2.3.3

jeeessarr

Jun 10, 2011
Visit site
Hey guys, first off let me apologize for being a noob. I am new to this whole "modify your phone" thing.

I recently got enough balls to root my EVO 4g as I am very bored with its stock form. Instead of going to an iPhone, I figured why not root it instead. A week or so ago, I did a firmware update through my phone that i'm guessing installed 2.3.3 Gingerbread, from what i have read on this forum. I had no idea what the hell it was but only that sprint told me to download it, so i did. From what i have read, i should have stayed with Froyo 2.2.

Im not very good with understanding all of the tech talk and big words of this type of thing but here is my dilemma. I have a STOCK, factory, HTC EVO 4g. It used to be 2.2, then i did an update and it is currently 2.3.3. I want to root my phone. It has never been rooted before. I tried using unrevoked3 and it said my firmware was too new. What do i do?

jasonblanco

Nov 18, 2009
Visit site
I started a thread about this very topic a day or two ago:

http://forum.androidcentral.com/htc.../91951-anyone-working-rooting-new-gb-ota.html

I've rooted previous phones, but not my current Evo. I should have known better than to update but did it before thinking about it. As you'll see in the thread above, it may be possible to root the new update, but it will take someone more work to actually be able to flash new ROMs over the update. I'm anxious to try something new on this phone too, but we're basically stuck for now.

jeeessarr

Jun 10, 2011
Visit site
i installed the bootloader onto my phone through the hboot or whatever. I read the directions, then did unrevoked3. But it failed. I hope by doing those 2 things i didnt mess up any future rooting procedures! I want to root so bad now that i have read about it and cant!!! :(

AlphaTango414

Jan 13, 2011
Visit site
You haven't messed anything up but you will have to wait on a root. By updating to 2.3 you got a new bootloader and with that is a new version that has not been unlocked yet. Give it a few weeks and you will have access.

Sent from my PC36100 using Tapatalk

jeeessarr

Jun 10, 2011
Visit site
You haven't messed anything up but you will have to wait on a root. By updating to 2.3 you got a new bootloader and with that is a new version that has not been unlocked yet. Give it a few weeks and you will have access.

cool, thank you. guess i will wait it out.

mikevo

Nov 24, 2010
Visit site
If you contact your local sprint store, they can roll the software back to 2.2. Then you can root away.

Seriously!!! Can they do this at a corporate repair center? I've had my replacement for two weeks and A, the update to 2.3.3 blows. I have to reboot it every couple of days. B, there probably won't be an exploit to root for a couple of weeks or month.

cmyasika1

Dec 5, 2010
Visit site
I just called two stores. Its not.
I called tech support, and they said a repair facility can do it. I'm going to try tomorrow. I'll keep everyone posted. When I talked to the franchise store near me, they told me that a program called "SLATE" is needed.

TWC_SouthPhilly

Jun 6, 2010
Visit site
I called tech support, and they said a repair facility can do it. I'm going to try tomorrow. I'll keep everyone posted. When I talked to the franchise store near me, they told me that a program called "SLATE" is needed.

The only time there suppose to do a OS roll back os of their is a mandate from corporate. As in if an update completely messes up a whole lot of phones.

Decks Rom Rules, Other Roms Drool!!! :p
Thanks for tryin!!!

mikevo

Nov 24, 2010
Visit site
I'm calling tomorrow to complain and see if they will do it for me. I find it hard to believe they can't. I called a repair center and a private store that does repairs. The private store knew what I was up to. Hehe

mikevo

Nov 24, 2010
Visit site
Done deal. Tech support said if I'm having that many issues since the update that a corporate repair center can roll back the software. WOOHOO

mikevo

Nov 24, 2010
Visit site
Doesn't work. They tried to run an ruu just like many of us have. They've had a ton of complaints about the gingerbread update.

AlphaTango414

Jan 13, 2011
Visit site
Doesn't work. They tried to run an ruu just like many of us have. They've had a ton of complaints about the gingerbread update.

HTC can, there isn't anything they can't do to this phone, the designed it, built it, and programmed it, its just a matter of knowing how to unlock the boot loader.

DumpedDuce Approves This Message

igotsanevo4g

Retired Moderator
Jul 31, 2010
Visit site
HTC can, there isn't anything they can't do to this phone, the designed it, built it, and programmed it, its just a matter of knowing how to unlock the boot loader.

Never mind if they can do it, its all about if they are willing. :p

rokhause

Jul 5, 2011
Visit site
I started a thread about this very topic a day or two ago:

http://forum.androidcentral.com/htc.../91951-anyone-working-rooting-new-gb-ota.html

I've rooted previous phones, but not my current Evo. I should have known better than to update but did it before thinking about it. As you'll see in the thread above, it may be possible to root the new update, but it will take someone more work to actually be able to flash new ROMs over the update. I'm anxious to try something new on this phone too, but we're basically stuck for now.
Root is out alreay, if your refering to 2.3.3 /4.24.651.1? just joined this morning, but give me sometime setting up some things around here, This method is or has to be simplify, too extreme and harsh for the ordinary user, wanted to get a simple way for everyone to use and enjoy the experience of custom roms..

And whoever wants to roll back to 2.2 just to root, have that supersonic RUU for you too I just have post the link up in here in couple mins

pitmasterme

Jan 17, 2011
Visit site
Root is out alreay, if your refering to 2.3.3 /4.24.651.1? just joined this morning, but give me sometime setting up some things around here, This method is or has to be simplify, too extreme and harsh for the ordinary user, wanted to get a simple way for everyone to use and enjoy the experience of custom roms..

And whoever wants to roll back to 2.2 just to root, have that supersonic RUU for you too I just have post the link up in here in couple mins

You have found a way to unlock the bootloader on the gingerbread update???

AlphaTango414

Jan 13, 2011
Visit site

Link or proof?

mikevo

Nov 24, 2010
Visit site

The ruu method doesn't. Trust me. I've tried it twice. An xda member that I spoke to almost bricked his phone. A sprint tech tried it on my phone on Sunday. You need s-off to run a ruu. Don't get people's hopes up.

sent from my unrooted supersonic using the tapatalk app. being unrooted sucks!!!