The perfect phone... Any advice to make this happen?

meangreenstebo

Jun 21, 2011
Visit site
Ok let me lay it out for you... and I'm going to go through your post I quoted from end to beginning.

1. QUOTE=meangreenstebo;1052588] If I were to go to a local guy to get the root done, would I need to learn to tinker with it - so that I can troubleshoot the inevitable issues?

First off, you should really do the rooting yourself. Buy doing the rooting yourself you'll be able too answer the next 2 questions on your own.

In short... yes, root your eVo yourself.

2.QUOTE=meangreenstebo;1052588]I don't know anything about rooting (obviously) - would a back-up for the NS4G work on the EVO or does it work different than that? [/QUOTE]

"DON'T DO THIS" It wont work... even though its Android at the core, its still tailored a bit from manufacturer to manufacturer and from phone model to phone model. Roms from one phone can and does happen, and quite a bit. Miss Philly has the eVo Shift and I played around with a rom the other day that was ported form the stock 2.3.3 GB updated. It had Sense 2.1(still hate sense... kind of) and it had the Sense 3.0 lockscreen.

In short... you can't just install a backup(or image) of one manufacturers phone/model to another manufacturers phone/model. Its not going to work.

3.QUOTE=meangreenstebo;1052588]All that is so confusing to me. I went to that link and there were about 600 replies over 60 pages. Every single one of them seems to be a different problem with something.[/QUOTE]

This ones a 2 parted answer...

a. Not going to lie to ya brother... its confusing as hell, when you are just getting into rooting and roming. But just like anything in life... first time is always the hardest, Right!?!?!

b. Now... don't believe everything you read on the imternet. You have to look at that post for what it is. That post was started when Decks 1.0 rom was first built. When it was more or less "beta", so of course there are going to be issues and bugs. Start from the last page of that thread and read backwards... you'll see. Also you should read this post http://forum.androidcentral.com/htc...vo-deck-1-0-2-3-3-stable-1-2c-2-3-4-beta.html , it was started back when 1.2c was released and goes all the way to the last version or "Stable" release. Again... you'll see.

Hope I answered your questions and helped shed some light on the subject for you.

And my best abvice is to read everything you can on what rooting is, how to root and what benefits root will give you. Then once you've read all the stickies AC has and you fill a little more confident ... read it all over again.

Decks Rom Rules, Other Roms Drool!!! :p
Thanks for tryin!!![/QUOTE]
Hey South Philly,

Thanks for breaking it down for me. I have been reading up on rooting for about 6 months now. I would not be rooting to get free wifi tether (seems like that is the reason most people root) - I want to root because I am seriously in love with vanilla GB but terrified of getting stuck with bad hardware if I switch phones. I don't care that I can bring it back and pay unlimited restocking fees - to me, I just do not like all the antennae problems with the NS4G. So I want to take that software and put it on my perfect (paid for, non-contract) EVO. The EVO is now out of warranty so anything that I do to it is on me anyways and I paid cash for it so I still have my upgrade from 2010 sitting there if I scew up my phone big time!

TWC_SouthPhilly

Jun 6, 2010
Visit site
No problem again m8... Vanilla Android is awesome!!! And Decks is about as vanilla as it gets.

KushDeck(the chef of this rom) pulled everything for his rom right from the Google servers them selves... it is the same Android version(2.3.4) as the Nexus S 4G. The only things that aren't from Google themselves is the kernel(from TeamWin, for 4G) and I think the notification power widgets. Other than that its the exact rom and version that runs on the Nexus, just tailored to our evo's.

Decks Rom Rules, Other Roms Drool!!! :p
Thanks for tryin!!!

igotsanevo4g

Retired Moderator
Jul 31, 2010
Visit site
A LOT of deck rom is pulled from CyanogenMod in order for it to work (drivers, mods, and other "nerdy" stuff ;) ), but deck is smaller and more vanilla than CM. Niether is what is on the Nexus S 4G stock though both are better than stock NS4G IMO and ive had both phones Evo and Nexus :)

In short, wait until 2.3.3 is rootable, and i make a guide (or at least try, as i dont have an evo anymore lol) then slap any rom youd like on there after you follow the guide.

meangreenstebo

Jun 21, 2011
Visit site
I will, thanks guys. As soon as the directions are up and running - I will finally give this a try. Do the start up lock screens look just like the Nexus S4G as well? I am really digging the way you unlock the phone on that setup - I figure that is just vanilla Android unlock, right?

firedroidguy

Aug 16, 2010
Visit site
Ok Philly one more question. I am running decks rom and tiamat and have lost my voicemail, I downloaded and installed the gapps 6-11-2011 with Voicemail.apk and still dont have voicemail.....Am I doing something wrong because I really like this rom but without voicemail I am headed back to CM7.

Thanks

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
2fedes