Android 2.2 (Froyo) coming to Evo?

donald.aleshire

Mar 18, 2010
Visit site
PhoneDog posted a new article about Android 2.2 possibly in internal testing phases right now and could be coming in an OTA update to the Nexus One sometime soon. With the addition of the new Dell phones being previewed that have Froyo on them, I hope that the Evo comes shipped with 2.2 right off the bat :D

Android 2.2 in internal testing phase?

Here's to waiting and hoping...but no matter what this phone will kick some serious ass!

Scincidae

Apr 22, 2010
Visit site
I really doubt they would put 2.1 as a spec on the Sprint website if it was coming with 2.2. If Dell can say their phones will have 2.2 shipped why would Sprint have to lie on their teaser site? Maybe they will be working on 2.2 with Sense before it goes live so that they can OTA it soon after the EVO release but I doubt it will be already on the EVO.

Duvi

Oct 24, 2008
Visit site
I'm sure if it was a Google device (n2; although made by HTC) announced, it would be possible, but being that it's a HTC device, it's probably in the testing stages and probably come shortly after.

yazman666

Apr 23, 2010
Visit site
I wouldn't be sure of that since that is the main issue with phones runing HTC Sense ui that takes centuries to have the os update proof of that is the hero..after all all the hero users have not got 2.1 yet just because of HTC laziness. They really need to do something and quick to keep google's pace.

Andrew Ruffolo

Jan 5, 2010
Visit site
I would say the problem is that not all hero's are the same. I've been running the leak on my phone for about a month now (sprint hero) but people have noticed that the sound card is different on some models of the heros. Looks like they used the eris sound card on some heros which is probably the hold back right now, but its a serious issue. people would be pissed if they couldn't use their phone as, well, a phone. Dunno why the eris doesn't have it yet, but VZW likes to test things excessively

gibsonhtp#IM

Aug 5, 2009
Visit site
Well...Hesse and others have said at the unveiling that there would be more features being announced for the phone closer to launch, so who knows.

empimp

May 17, 2010
Visit site
This is probably a silly noob question, but here goes - is it possibly to load Android 2.2 on a Sprint/HTC phone? Obviously that would mean no HTC Sense, but if I want the latest, greatest hardware AND the latest version of Android, and I don't care about the HTC user interface, could I just load the latest Android version on the Evo?

xorg

Mar 23, 2010
Visit site
Who owns coding/deploying the release for each phone... the carrier or hardware maker?

I'd rather see the hardware maker in control as telcom companies are big and take forever to do anything.

Palm is able to release updates at their will (every couple months) as the carrier is pretty much out of the picture, except for testing.

djdisturbed

Apr 20, 2010
Visit site
Who owns coding/deploying the release for each phone... the carrier or hardware maker?

I'd rather see the hardware maker in control as telcom companies are big and take forever to do anything.

Palm is able to release updates at their will (every couple months) as the carrier is pretty much out of the picture, except for testing.

No, palm still has to send in a copy to sprint (or whatever carrier) to test before they send out the update, thats normally the part that takes the longest

xorg

Mar 23, 2010
Visit site
Yup, as I said... the carrier is only involved in the testing not the development or deployment of the updates. Palm releases the updates, not Sprint. I'm on the Palm dev testing beta group. I can tell you for certain Sprint testing does not take the longest.

theiphonewannabe

Mar 29, 2010
Visit site
Yup, as I said... the carrier is only involved in the testing not the development or deployment of the updates. Palm releases the updates, not Sprint. I'm on the Palm dev testing beta group. I can tell you for certain Sprint testing does not take the longest.

This is the bright side of not allowing carrier customization. This is why my parents HP computer sucked until I installed Windows 7 without all the bloatware etc.

Yourdogsdead

May 15, 2010
Visit site
With the Evo though it would have to go through Sprint and HTC before being released. That's going to take a lot of time, unless Google really pushes them to move their ass.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
fallingOutOfLoveWfithTech