Swype on EVO 4G

jam4775

Apr 13, 2010
Visit site
I just wanted to vent here... so sorry if it's been talked about before.

I cannot stand this version of Swype that's included on the EVO 4G now!!! I had the beta installed before the update came through that added Swype... and I have to say that the beta version was way better!! Also the EVO version seems to be getting worse over time to the point where I've quit using it. I really don't like the fact that Sprint has included Swype on the EVO because now I'm stuck with this ****ty version!!

I really like this style of typing so I'm trying the demo version of SlideIT and it seems to work pretty good, much better than the EVO version of Swype.

jam4775

Apr 13, 2010
Visit site
What problems are you experiencing with EVO's swype?

The EVO version of Swype has a hard time understanding what I'm trying to type. For example... it never gets the word "that's" correct and it won't even give the word as a suggestion... even if I slowly swype and stop at each letter. I'm constantly going back and correcting words. For me it's slower than typing normal now.

Give Flex T9 a try, I've switched and haven't looked back!

Thanks I'll have to try Flex T9. Do you know if there is a demo version? I don't want to buy it unless I can try it first.

Citizen Coyote

Jul 9, 2011
Visit site
Have you tried fiddling with the sensitivity settings? I know my fiance was having a terrible time with Swype on her Epic until we adjusted the settings. Now at least she gets the word choice box as opposed to Swype just picking words seemingly at random. For what it's worth, though, I do understand where you're coming from. Even after tweaking the settings to my liking, Swype on my Evo still likes to substitute "our" for "or".

CansFan

Jun 13, 2010
Visit site
The EVO version of Swype has a hard time understanding what I'm trying to type. For example... it never gets the word "that's" correct and it won't even give the word as a suggestion... even if I slowly swype and stop at each letter. I'm constantly going back and correcting words. For me it's slower than typing normal now.

I hated how Swype could never choose "that's" for me either, it always suggested "that'd". I found that if you Swype through "that" and then through the apostrophe before the "s" it will know what you mean. This also works with other words that use apostrophes and tends to have a hard time recognizing.

It's an extra key to Swype through but it works. Hope this helps.

vnmous1

May 14, 2010
Visit site
Swype basically blows. Yes, the other betas of it were better. With this one, I've made a ton of tweaks and it just isn't "comfortable" for lack of a better term. The suggestions, actually how and where it puts them, is a deterrent to quick use.

I saw Ultra Keyboard suggested on a different forum and tried it some time back. Regardless of what I use, I keep going back to it. If you haven't tried it, perhaps you should and see what you think. The only downside is I think the voice facet of it crapped out with GB. I didn't use that much anyway.

bj